In a moment of weakness, I succumbed to temptation!

Herman Green

Found this bunch of stuff in a thrift shop the other day. All diecast stuff except the little 0-6-0. All have motors and a couple of spares. Tested the motors and they all run.

Knowing it's all old school stuff and that the last thing I needed was more projects, I broke down and gave $100 for all of it.

I'm ashamed of myself.

Herman

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 193
It's not the moments of weakness that are noteworthy - they're all too "normal" for me - it's the rare occasions I don't give in that are of note...

So what? As long as you're feeding the family and paying the bills, nothing to be ashamed of. You may want to visit the Tyco forum, those guys are all about that kind of 'old school' stuff.

G'day Herman....You should be ashamed of yourself...Stealing....What a bargain for a great find..you lucky modeller you..and congratulations on such a great find.WOW....How come I can't ever get a steal that good....Wow again...Now go and play with them...Don't mind us....we'll entertain ourselves....Congrats again , Cheers Rod...

Found this bunch of stuff in a thrift shop the other day.
I never find train stuff at the thrift stores....
I see a Mantua 2-8-2. An MDC 0-6-0. and a Cary boiler. I cannot identify the other three though. Looks like one has a brass wheels and zinc frame (another MDC - Harriman 4-6-0 perhaps), and another has a brass frame and a Belpair fire box - Pennline???.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not real familiar with the genealogy of the older locomotives, but without taking them all apart, I have deduced this much.

The blue Pacific is a John A. English model. I have the original instruction sheet with it. Looks complete.

The 0-6-0 is a MDC. This is the only one with a plastic boiler. I don't know that I have the proper tender for it. I thought it should be the little slope back job, but that one is a Bachman.

The Consolidation is a Bowser kit. I got the original box with it.

The lone, unattached boiler is a Mantua (name is on the underside).

The others I'm not sure of yet. Maybe I'll find some identifying marks when I pull the boilers.

With the exception of the little Bachman slope, all the tenders are die cast.

Herman

If that Mantua Mikado has the screws to hold the boiler to the frame, and the motor works, you should be able to put it in running order pretty quickly. Tender with the six-wheel trucks goes with it. Some parts will be available from Yardbird Classic Trains. A little paint and lettering for your favorite road and IMHO you've almost paid yourself back. (Of course the motor is DC, so if you run DCC you'll need to spend a bit for decoders, etc. I also see the boiler and cab for a Mantua Pacific there, though no chasis. Looks like you made a good purchase. :D

Back