I'm building a turntable

Chemdawg

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here. Had a ton going on. Now that I've started on my layout again, I decided to work on the turntable area. The PERFECT setup for me would be the 130 foot Walthers deal, but I'm not paying their price. So I'm using an atlas 305 as the base with the 304 motor drive. I will post pics as I'm building it. Anywho, when I build my pit, I am going to put my rail around the inside for the bridge to rotate on. Does anyone know where I can purchase the bogies from to put under the bridge to rotate around the track? I had planned on making my own out of some N-scale trucks, but I figured if I could buy turntable bogies, it would be better.

Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram of how they wired their setup? I wanted to use a rotary switch with an LED at each point. So when I turn to that point, that is where the motor will stop completely, and the LED will turn on. (Hard to explain exactly)

Thanks and it's good to be back.

Don't know about the bogies ... perhaps Diamond Scale (if they're still in business) sells parts. You could also look for an older, fubar'd Walther's 90' kit at a swap meet and scavenge from that.

Welcome back!
I'd go with what Ian sez and look for a parts donor.
Not sure about the wiring but I'm sure the answer is out there on the net.

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here. Had a ton going on. Now that I've started on my layout again, I decided to work on the turntable area. The PERFECT setup for me would be the 130 foot Walthers deal, but I'm not paying their price. So I'm using an atlas 305 as the base with the 304 motor drive. I will post pics as I'm building it. Anywho, when I build my pit, I am going to put my rail around the inside for the bridge to rotate on. Does anyone know where I can purchase the bogies from to put under the bridge to rotate around the track? I had planned on making my own out of some N-scale trucks, but I figured if I could buy turntable bogies, it would be better.

Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram of how they wired their setup? I wanted to use a rotary switch with an LED at each point. So when I turn to that point, that is where the motor will stop completely, and the LED will turn on. (Hard to explain exactly)

Thanks and it's good to be back.
How about a Bowser turntable? the large one. I got one at a swap meet, it's been built and works, but has no detail pieces. I'd sell it for what I paid for it (which wasn't much). Let me know, it would probably be better than bashing stuff to build one.

Back