Ihc sd-24

nycentral57

Howdy My Railroad Friends

I recently purchased a IHC SD-24 (Rio Grande) on eBay. It's a beautiful engine and runs Excellent. I have only one complaint.
And that is, it's just too light. It actually feels like a dummy engine. Can I get some suggestions on how I can add some additional
weight to this train. There is no metal ingot (what I call it) under the fuel tank which is the traditional way of giving a engine weight.
I have to say I am disappointed with IHC on this engine.

Robert

This is a follow up to my own question.
I accidentally confused this SD-24 with another one I own. After further inspection of my SD-24 (Rio Grande) I noticed that there was indeed a fuel tank weight
in this engine, and discovered what I am sure is the reason for it's lack of weight. There are no fly wheels on this engine. New Question. What kind of motors
are they using at IHC to run their locomotives. They resemble the old Tyco motor's I think they call them Power Tork. Can someone shed some light here.

Robert.....

New Question. What kind of motors
are they using at IHC to run their locomotives. They resemble the old Tyco motor's I think they call them Power Tork. Can someone shed some light here.
I just read on another forum that the IHC SD24's are indeed based on the old Tyco tooling. On the same forum it is mentioned that they pulled much better after adding 5 oz. of weight. They neglected to say how they added that weight.

Upon further research (Esp. the Tyco History site), I see that the Tyco Power Torque motors sit individually on each truck, and spin parallel with the track. If IHC copied this design, I do not see how they could have a fly wheel added. On the other hand it should be easy to add dead weight right in the center of the body.

Back