I made some switch stands

Selector

I have no switch stands, as my yard images clearly show. I had sprung for some Caboose ground throws many moons ago, and decided, once the first was erected, that it was far too large to be on the layout. Dang.

I was pondering this afternoon, while building a Kanamodel CPR style water tower, how to get switch stands without sending away for some...plus shipping. Shipping is really becoming a problem these days as it costs so much. Add brokerage fees if the shipper won't send them by post....fuggedaboudit.

I went down stairs and started moving....stuff. I found two unused globe type old fashioned lamp posts from a styrene kit. The base and post were nearly the right size, but the globes would have to go. Okay, I had already figured out that the Caboose ground throw targets would suffice atop those posts. But the resulting stands would look weird with no handles. My eyes fell on two never-throw-anything-related-to-trains-out horn and hook couplers...with centering springs. Aha! I clipped two of them, and I had my handles. Some gluing and some paint, and, voila...

IMG_3818csharpr.jpg

Selector, a true do-it-yourselfer!!!! They look good and you probably saved a bunch of money to boot!!!!

You is the man, a true artist. They look real good, ah! heck I'll go all the way they're excellent. Nice modeling work.

Cheers
Willis

Thanks, Gentlemen. Aw heck, I am proud of this little victory in my pursuit of model railroading. It was inspired, if I do say so myself, but not without some prompting from others, notably Ray's and recently Grampy's efforts to "do the right thing". Happily, after about 8 months in a funk, I have a bit of the bug again and am working on trees and other odds 'n sods to spruce up the joint. Importantly, it is exciting and fun. Getting positive feedback from you gentle men is icing on the cake. Thanks so much.

-Crandell

Crandell, can you give us a close up of that switch stand? I'd like to see exactly how you mounted it and connected to the throw bar. Great job, BTW, very convincing looking. That handle made all the difference.

Oops, Jim, I forgot to mention that they are non-functioning. Since they largely comprise the bottom 2/3 of a solid styrene lamp post, and the small centering spring part is glued on to the side, there is no turning of the wee widdo hando. :D

Had I purchased Details West items, I would have installed working ones... a pain though I know it would have been.

-Crandell

Say Crandell,
Nice job, look pretty realistic, I guess you made it so the tragets canl rotate by hand when the switch is thrown?

I've contemplated doing something similiar myself, in Brass, only I want mine to be functional to actually throw/move the points.

Oh I blew the picture up to 1280x749 and sharpened it and everything came out very sharp.

Keep up the good work Crandell.

Back