I Found A Conrail Jordan Spreader Today

Marlin338MX

It took some research to identify what this is. It's not very well maintained as far as needing some fresh paint, but I'm pretty sure it gets used. It's located on the class 3 Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern railroad. I'm guessing it's owned by CSX. These are the best pictures I could get from my car.

The only company that makes an HO scale replica of this style of Jordan Spreader is the Overland Models brand, which are way out of my price range. The Walther's brand looks completely different. I won't be adding a Jordan Spreader to my layout, but they are a unique piece of railroad equipment, and there are a bunch of videos on the internet to enjoy watching them in action.

PXL_20240330_161923496.jpg

PXL_20240330_162028224.jpg

I wish there was more information about them on the internet. There are several design changes over the years, but very little is documented as far as their history and how they evolved from decade to decade or from railroad to railroad.

With a little more research, I've learned that this particular model is the Type J 4-100. It was 50' long and weighed around 70 tons. Apparently, Conrail ordered several of these units in 1979 to replace older units. I found a pic on the internet that has a road number very close to the one in my photo above...

crsp.jpg

To give credit where credit is due, and for research purposes, this is a link to the web site I got this information from...

I've seen several of those Walther's brand spreaders, but I think they are the model 2-200.

The Overland Models brand made a run of the model 4-100 back in 1995, a run of only 60 according to their web site, and all brass construction.

Here's a used one on eBay that is missing parts and showing some damage. Not sure why it would cost $68.80 for shipping from Colorado...

Thanks for sharing Todd. I have for years now thought of getting one for the layout. When I worked in Marshfield, Wi. along side the CN tracks near on of the frac mines there was one sitting for years. I always meant to get pictures

Back