I changed over to styrene for my roads,help

dekker

I started with sandpaper not really happy with it. I got .030 styrene and roughed it in tonight so far I love it. Before I go to far I need ideas on good ways to secure it to foam,painting it to look like western/desert concrete and other detail ideas. The thing that I lucked out on is that I bought it in small to medium square pieces so it has that real life cut between sections like you see on real concrete roadways. Thanks.

Styrene has also become my material of choice for roads. I'm just getting started with concrete though, I "wimped out" and bought the Walthers Cornerstone Street System because I wanted sidewalks. Now that I see how they're done I'll probably scratch build all my streets from now on.

I started another thread on weathering concrete roads, heres the link if you're interested: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12763

Last edited by a moderator:
.030 styrene would probably be OK for a road system. When I did mine in styrene it was a lot thinner & w/the heat in my trainroom all it did was warped all to heck & I had to rip it up & start over w/sandpaper. even some of the bases on my buildings had the thin plastic & the buildings started to look like they had been in a bad earthquake. Now, I use the thin foam sheets for a building base that I get at Dollar Tree.

Almost everything can be glued down w/Elmers glue or brown wood glue. Some people even use hot melt glue guns. Don't know if the glue gun would melt plastic or not. have to try it. Experiment w/some scrap & wait a cpl. days to see what it does. I use to use foam to make all my mountains, but, it got to expensive & there's not enough construction projects to get the free stuff, so, I use plaster now. No plaster for roads anymore, just sandpaper. The thin foam sheets make good roads too.

Back