How to make plastic ho couplers function well in long trains

DougC

Over the past few months I've purchased some used, mostly Athearn, HO boxcars. I've disassembled, cleaned and tweaked them, installed metal knuckle couplers (KD and/or ProtoMax), and then test run them. While doing so I kept seeing a small container in a box I have that has about 50+ brown plastic couplers in it that I had removed over time from newly-acquired, used, freight cars, and thought, "Maybe there is a way to make these useless-for-me-couplers functional on long trains."

In my experience the major problem with plastic knuckle couplers is that their necks can and do (under stress) bend vertically (up or down) when pulling long trains, and thereby often create train break-in-twos caused by their knuckles separating from each other (i.e. vertically sliding apart.) That's very irritating - to put it nicely.

So I came up with an idea on how to use those plastic couplers, did some testing, and it has worked well - so far. The key (believe it or not) is Athearn's couplers' metal floor plates - the ones that snap on and have been around for four? decades. If you're interested please read on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take the metal floor plate - with its two snap-on "ears" and its "tongue" that sticks out a little less than 1/8" - and do the following:

1. On the floor-plate with its ears up, take a small file and smooth the floor plate (between the ears) all the way over past the tongue (only takes about 4 or 5 swipes.)

2. Then use a small file on the end of the tongue at a roughly 25 degree angle (this is so the coupler neck will slide on it smoothly).

3. Now here's the key: take a smallish pair of pliers and bend the tongue UP about 25 degrees from level.

4. Put a plastic coupler in the large part of the coupler box.

5. Snap the metal coupler plate onto the larger part of the coupler (which is probably already on your railcar.)

6. Test if the plastic coupler is able to slide side-to-side. If not , make a minor adjustment or two. And, try to not leave any significant vertical space above or below the sliding coupler neck.

7. Couple some of the above-mentioned tweaked railcars (I used 5 boxcars) in a string and see if the knuckles meet each other at the same height as a height gauge. (If not I use a shim where needed.)

That’s It! Now for my operational tests on flat track and the results:

Test #1: I put the 5 test boxcars right behind two engines and in front of 58 other railcars. I ran this train around an L-shaped loop, 22" radius, 3 times. And then I backed the train around 3 times. No problems at all, and all ten of the plastic knuckles were still evenly coupled to each other.

Test #2: I put the 5 test boxcars right behind the same two engines and in front of 63 other railcars. I ran this train around an L-shaped loop, 16" radius (that's not a typo), 3 times. This time there was a train break-in-two of the plastic couplers . I removed what looked to me like the weak plastic coupler, installed a new one, and then resumed running. No more problems. And then I backed the train around 3 times (not real slow, but not speeding either.) No problems at all, and all the plastic knuckles coupled to each other evenly.

Hope this was at least interesting and maybe helpful to you. If you say I'm crazy, I won't dispute it!

DougC

P.S. For me I know it's easier, less trouble, and more reliable to just install KD and similar metal couplers vs. messing with these plastic couplers. But it's kind of neat to know that it IS possible to use those rascally plastic ones on long/heavy trains (and maybe save a little money too).

Great "how to" Doug, thanx!
You're talking about the one piece shank couplers and not the two piece split shank ones, right?
I actually like the looks of some of the plastic couplers, I use them on cabeese and certain mow cars.
I'll give that a try.

Rico:

You're welcome, and thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, you're correct, I was using and referring to the one-piece shank couplers, not the two piece split ones.

When you give this a try pls let us know how it's coming along for you. You may even find or dig-up or think-up one or two things I didn't see or think of.

DougC

you throw them in the garbage and install metal.....No joking here....Plastic are ok for short trains (less than 10 cars) but other than that they are a PITA.

I use KD #5's or now #148's on most of my freight cars. My problem with plastic couplers is with the ones that have the plastic whisker knuckle spring, AKA McHenry's. That's where I saw the almost 100% failure rate. I still use the factory supplied Accumate split couplers on Accurail cars, as I have never had a failure with them. Some of my newer purchases have plastic with the metal knuckle spring and I am leaving them on to see what their lifespan is going to be.
Your tip and how-to should help some folks though, but every blue box that I own was KD'd when it was purchased (over 350 of them).
Willie

Trent that's why I put them on cabeese, not so much pulling.
I can't remember the brand but the ones I like actually look like real couplers with casting pockets and all.
Maybe a picture is in order.

Trent: In general I agree with you. But once in while I enjoy testing something.

Willie: I understand where you're coming from. As a matter of fact ALL my cars and engines are equipped with metal KDs or ProtoMax couplers (except my new "testers"). Once in a while though I get the urge and enjoy testing something different.

Trent: Yes, I agree that cabeese are a good place to use those plastic couplers - unless during our switching industries the plastic-couplers-caboose finds its way right behind the head-end power. :)

Rico: Thanks for your comments.

Thank you all for your input.

DougC

Proper coupler installation is probably the most important thing you can do. All of my equipment is equipped with Kadee Couplers. Some of my equipment is 30 years old and still functioning like new. I do have a couple of switcher locomotives that still have plastic couples, but they can't pull but a few cars on my layout because of the grade, but when I get around to it, I would like to install Kadee #158's on them. I have plenty of them and am installing them on all new equipment where they will fit. Some of my switchers do not have room for them, but the 158's are closer to scale and look a bit better.

I files the top and bottom of the shank on the coupler to make sure that there are no burrs and also filed the faces of the couplers to make sure that they were smooth which makes coupling easier. I'll give a slight shot of dry graphite powder into the coupler pocket once the coupler is installed. Using a Kadee coupler height gauge all cars must conform. My layout is built for switching and I do use magnets so good coupler operation is a must.

Proper coupler height is also a must if you pull long trains. I have posted this video before, but it shows a long train being pulled up a 2% plus grade. Here's a real coupler test.

[video=youtube;wFIIWvaTiIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIIWvaTiIk[/video]

It is amazing how three locomotives can pull this train up such a grade. Pulling the train by hand will give you an idea of how heavy the train is. It's pretty heavy.I think plastic couplers wouldn't last very long on a pull like this. It really only takes a few minutes to install kadee. The majority of my rolling stock was accumulated over 25 years ago and are Athearn blue box kits and the Kadee couplers were installed in the Athearn coupler pockets. All of the old equipment is still in service requiring little if any work on them.

Chet:

Great engines' sound you have there. Neat train.

Thank you for your input - a good bit of experience "talking" here.

DougC

Chet:

Great engines' sound you have there. Neat train.

Thank you for your input - a good bit of experience "talking" here.

DougC

Never really paid any attention to the sound. I run DC only and these Atlas units are from somewhere in the 90's, no sound. Any sound is from the train itself and the freight cars in tow that the camera picked up. Metal wheels are also a must for me on all of my rolling stock. Learned something I didn't know about the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back