How to find a sound decoder that works in mantua

I use XLSystems model 1911 sound decoder with 28mm speaker when the tender has enough room. My most recent purchase (today) it seems the baffle is put on the wrong side of the speaker? Be real careful drilling hole in tender floor for speaker.

Last edited:
The XL system is what was formerly known as MRC. They have purportedly improved the electronics, but after my multiple tales of woe with MRC-branded versions of these sound decoders, I would suggest caution.

Hi there I was hoping to get info where to get the best sound decoder for a mantua hudson it already has a can motor installed. Tia.
Depending on the stall current rating of you can motor (which probably shouldn't be nearly as high as the original open-frame motors), I would recommend a Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-2200 sound decoder with a keep-alive capacitor, and probably a 28mm square 8-ohm speaker. There should be plenty of room in the Mantua Hudson tender (I have six Mantua steamers converted with this system). I would contact Soundtraxx to see what version they now have and if they recommend a different speaker. You will have to drill some holes in the tender chassis plate to let the sound out. I think you will be quite happy with this system.
Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!

Soundtraxx also have there own "Decoder Selector" you can use to find what would be the best fit.

Hi there I was hoping to get info where to get the best sound decoder for a mantua hudson it already has a can motor installed. Tia.
I agree with trailrider. Since it already has a can motor, there is enough space in the tender for just about any decoder and speaker combination you want. .

I think if it were mine, I would try the WOW101-KA-Steam with its Chuffinity.

Back