How many members have Hobby Lobby close? Do you shop there?

JimT

For four weeks now, not including last week when I was ill I have stopped by Hobby Lobby and looked around, then made a single purchase. This weeks purchase was a giant bag of Woodland Scenics "ready to grow" trees. The bag is $19.99 from Woodland Senics, and somewhat less on ebay when available (plus gawd knows how much shipping), I had printed a $40% off coupon, as I do each time I go to the grocey (Lobby is in the same center). Total for the Bag 'O Trees, $12.00. I'm impressed. I'm gonna print off another coupon and get another Bag 'O Trees after Church tomorrow, after all I need trees and it's on the way.

I know others are doing the same thing, this certainly isn't an original thought, but it is a good one. They have lots of stuff we need, their landscaping is especially good, and if I ever need a Bachmann turnout, I'll know where to get it. They also have great little paint brushes of every shape and quality, quanities of sandpaper much cheaper (before the coupon) than ACE next door. Lots of Artists paints too, maybe not that important. With a Hobby Lobby in town you don't have to worry about running out of Xacto stuff..or Dremel attachments and parts like brushes. I like to stop and look at the little "quality" dinosaurs too, I'm sure there will be one or a small family of them on my layout.

I've noticed they are beginning to stock their own brand of landscape stuff. I'm gonna try that too, it's quite a bit cheaper than WS.

Just to review..... Coupon ! Print off computer, google "Hobby Lobby". Dont leave home without one. It's OK to tell me I'm a windbag and that everyone knows this stuff .....I'm used to it. Cheers, Jim

The two close to me have very little train related. One's display is all of 4 feet long. Mostly cheap train sets.

I agree, the one in my small rural town has 2 train sets and 3 slot car sets. They do have more slot cars. There are no actual train cars, loco's etc. This is an isle of Woodland Scenics with a little of other brands, like a bachmann grass mat. They also have lots of painting supplies. There are a couple of brands of Rock molds. Forty percent off comes in very handy. Oh, glues and other adhesives are available in a huge quality. It's not a train store, it's a "craft store" with a lot or things we can or do use scenicing our worlds.

There is a Hobby Lobby in my area, but it is almost as far away as the full blown train shop. Driving 37 miles one way is not worth the 40% discount. Of course, the model railroad shop is 43 miles in another direction.

The nearest Hobby Lobby is 30 miles but since I travel a lot it's on the way home from the airport. I always use the smart phone coupon that way I can download it anytime. That 40% makes a big difference on a purchase. I have purchased the chalk sticks from General they have great colors for weathering. I also purchase Liquitex Acrylic tubes of paint, these colors are great, the soft and hard acrylic paint can be diluted with an Liquitex product for use in Airbrush. The color pallet is limitless. Containers for for paints and stains once they are mixed. Balsa and birchwood. I just wish they sold styrene.

There is a Hobby Lobby about 10 miles from me. I have found that their supply of Woodland Scenics materials is limited, but they have more than Michaels, and I don't have a good train store nearby. For some of the raw materials I use on my layout (paint, illustration board, adhesives, etc), I have found them much cheaper than other art supply stores.

Nearest on is 30 miles from me, and a pretty poor example IMHO. It's about the same drive to my nearest -real- LHS (which happens to be trains-focused), so I just go there instead.

Hmmm I am lucky! My Hobby Lobby is half a mile away, in the same shopping area my favorite SuperMarket and Dollar store are located. I'll shut up and enjoy my blessing.

I have three Hobby Lobby stores close enough to shop at. Years ago (or is it a decade now) I shopped there all the time, but their selection of items I can user for the model railroad have been shrinking every year. I hardly ever even think about them for trains anymore.

Rumor has it that Hobby Lobby is going to locate about a mile from home. There is another one, about 15 miles from here, that's a stop, on out monthly trip to Costco. It's a craft store, which interests my wife, and does stock Woodland scenics, and JTT Scenery products (MRC). They also have numerous selections of hobby paint suitable for model railroads, glue, as well as air brush supplies, and Mid West scale wood. hopefully if they open near me, they will carry the same product line. The local Michael's has very little of anything useful in stock, and there really isn't a reliable LHS nearby.

Joe

I'm about 1.5 miles from a Hobby Lobby, and I rarely get anything model RR there. They greatly reduced their inventory about three-four years ago of model RR. They do a little Woodland Scenics and JTT, and a nice stock of Testors paints.

My LHS actually has more Woodland Scenics than Hobby Lobby does. We've gone from having a high of five places to get model railroading supplies to just the LHS in the last 10 years. The other three LHSs closed and Hobby Lobby was the fourth place. I'd rather support my LHS anyway-known the guy now for almost 30 years!

Photoman475

That would be a factor for sure. I'm going out in the morning for bread, butter, and milk. I'll go next door and spend another $12.00 at HL, can't have enough trees. My "LHC" is a few miles further and at least 40% more, sometime twice that. Those coupons are nice and it's been 4 months or more since my LHC has had any flex track...???

The nearest Hobby Lobby is about 20 minutes away. I've only been there once to see what they had. There's a good quality hobby shop about the same distance so I'll go there instead. There's a Michael's less than a mile from my house so I'll go there for a lot of stuff.

And why is Hobby Lobby still in business? The owner said he was going to shut down all the stores. Profits trump ideology every day.

Steve S

I have a Hobby Lobby about 5 miles from me. I don't go there for train stuff, but I always look at it when I am there. I go mostly for paint and supplies.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

One right down the street. Good for painting and weathering supplies, very little for trains and scenery. Still a regular stop though.

There is a hobby lobby about 20 miles away from me. When they opened up about a year ago there was a big spread in the newspaper about it. A couple weeks ago I found it and it is a tiny store with less train stuff than I have. Not a threat to any competition.

lasm

The closest Hobby Lobby is about 150 miles from me in Billings, MT. The closest MRR shop is also in Billings. From what I see in many of these posts, they don't carry a lot of MRR supplies. The MRR shop in Billings carries very little of what I need. I am past the stage of needing locomotives, freight cars, track or buildings, which they do stock, some of them, so neither are of much use to me, especially at that distance. In recent years I have had a lot of luck using e-retailers.

Hobby Lobby cut out all MR stuff a few years ago other than train sets and some scenery. For some reason they had a selection Clasic Metal Works cars and trucks for a while after. SInce I don't limit my modeling to strickly to the railroad, I use the 40% coupons on cars and planes and other stuff all the time. The wife and I also like to play find the ugliest knick-knack in the store. Hard to pick a winner out of the stuff they carry.

Several years back, I'd frequent one when I was on business travel. At home there are 3 about an hour away in 3 different directions. They had more train stuff up until about 4 years ago, however they.ve added a few things in the last year. If I need something they have when I'm there, I'll use the 40% coupon. One of the 3 is about 5 minutes from a hobby shop that has lots of stuff.

My town does not have a "real" hobby shop, so Hobby Lobby is a good resource for me. Ours has a lot of stuff I need, especially scenery and scratch building supplies. They have recently started stocking 1/64th vehicles for the S gauge folks out there. Like someone else has said, only Bachmann train sets in limited supply, but the "other" stuff is what I shop for - with that 40% off coupon.

Back