How do I lower the volume with Bachmann E-Z Command Plus?

How do I lower the master volume of my HO scale Bachmann DCC GP40 with the Bachmann E-Z Command Plus? The volume of my locomotive is very loud and it is hurting my ears. I don't want to run it silent, I just want to lower the volume in half.

HO scale Bachmann DCC GP40 locomotive equipped with the Bachmann E-Z Command Plus system.

1. Check the Locomotive Volume Settings:
  2. Verify the Sound Decoder Configuration:
  3. DCC Quick Guide:
  4. Check for Loose Connections:
    • Inspect the wiring connections between the locomotive and the decoder. Ensure that all wires are securely connected.
    • Pay attention to the speaker wires. Loose or damaged speaker connections can affect sound output.
  5. Speaker Placement:
    • The location of the locomotive’s speaker can impact sound quality. Make sure the speaker is properly positioned within the locomotive shell.
    • If possible, consider upgrading to a better-quality speaker for improved sound.
  6. Decoder Firmware Updates:
    • Check if there are any firmware updates available for the sound decoder. Sometimes updates can enhance performance or address specific issues.
Remember that troubleshooting sound issues can be a bit trial-and-error. Start with the basics and gradually explore more advanced steps if needed. If you continue to experience low sound volume, consider reaching out to Bachmann’s customer support for personalized assistance.

HO scale Bachmann DCC GP40 locomotive equipped with the Bachmann E-Z Command Plus system.

1. Check the Locomotive Volume Settings:
  2. Verify the Sound Decoder Configuration:
  3. DCC Quick Guide:
  4. Check for Loose Connections:
    • Inspect the wiring connections between the locomotive and the decoder. Ensure that all wires are securely connected.
    • Pay attention to the speaker wires. Loose or damaged speaker connections can affect sound output.
  5. Speaker Placement:
    • The location of the locomotive’s speaker can impact sound quality. Make sure the speaker is properly positioned within the locomotive shell.
    • If possible, consider upgrading to a better-quality speaker for improved sound.
  6. Decoder Firmware Updates:
    • Check if there are any firmware updates available for the sound decoder. Sometimes updates can enhance performance or address specific issues.
Remember that troubleshooting sound issues can be a bit trial-and-error. Start with the basics and gradually explore more advanced steps if needed. If you continue to experience low sound volume, consider reaching out to Bachmann’s customer support for personalized assistance.
Thank you, but there is nothing in the Bachmann E-Z Command Plus instruction manual that shows how to adjust the volume. There is the function #8 which mutes the volume on or off.

From the interwebs:

Bachmann HO Scale Diesel GP40 Sound Too loud

According to the Bachmann product website, it has a Soundtraxx Econami™ Sound Value decoder installed.

I pulled up this decoder in JMRI Decoder Pro. (Available for download at JMRI Decoder Pro, for both Mac and PC.)

CV 128 controls the master volume.

The master volume; according to JMRI Decoder Pro, is factory set to a binary value of 192, out of 255. (The max value is actually 256 for calculation purposes.)

Setting CV 128 to a value of 128; 1/2 of 256, will half the master volume.

You cannot set a value of 127.5- -half of 255.

Setting CV 128 to a value of 96 will half the factory set volume.

The Prime Mover (engine) volume is controlled by CV 131. It is factory set at 255 (max value).

If you only want to change the prime mover volume leave the master volume; CV 128 = V 192, and adjust the value of CV131.

You can use the Programming On The Main (POM) function of your NCE system to change these CV values.

Consult your user manual or go to the NCE website to download the manual.

Then you can fine-tune the volume by adjusting the value of these CVs to your liking.

Using JMRI Decoder Pro as a CV calculator you can adjust the volumes of other sound functions by moving the sliders in the "Sound Levels" panel and then looking at the highlighted CVs under the "CV panel."

Hope this helps.

I am wondering if ezcommand can change or access cv,s. From what I have been able to find online, it is extremely basic. Only thing I found on sound was double hitting the function 8 will step the sound up or down through a cycle. If you keep hitting it, it will step up until it hits max then step down til it hits minimum then go up,again. That is the only thing I saw on sound adjusting. Everything else requires a system capable of cv access

I am wondering if ezcommand can change or access cv,s. From what I have been able to find online, it is extremely basic. Only thing I found on sound was double hitting the function 8 will step the sound up or down through a cycle. If you keep hitting it, it will step up until it hits max then step down til it hits minimum then go up,again. That is the only thing I saw on sound adjusting. Everything else requires a system capable of cv access
You have to upgrade the EZ Command to gain access to all the cv options. Can’t remember what it’s called, but you have to buy an extra component which for me was proving difficult to purchase, not in high demand and thus produced in super low volume. I ended up going digitrax. If I remember right though you can raise and lower volume levels with the basic set up, but exactly how I did it eludes me…

As sold, the EZ-Command lets you run many/most of the DCC decoder functions. What you cannot do with an EZ-Command is change any of the functions to custom settings. It has been nearly 18 years for me, but I think you can set addresses, run the bell and whistle, and maybe lighting, but you can't adjust settings in CVs 2 upward for inertia, momentum, dither, adjust individual sound volumes, adjust BEMF, etc. At this point, and I'm just being me and how I would look at this, I would consider purchasing a basic Digitrax or NCE, or CVP, or Roco, or Lenz, or MRC....whatever, they're ALL good systems. Just pick one, learn it, and get back to having fun.

Lionel's Legacy (similar to DCC) locomotives have a master volume control (Knob or dial) somewhere on the locomotive. Clockwise turns up the volume, counterclockwise turns down the volume. I don't know if any DCC locomotives have this feature.

Back