how do coal mines work?

gregc

Apprentice Modeler
i've always wondered about the model coal mines (not a colliery or breaker). the one on the right below sits on a flat piece of land and has a covered bridge into the hill side. in general, don't they start out as a tunnel into the side of a mountain, which is later covered with a structure?

the picture on the left below is of an anthracite mine in pennsylvania. it shows a structure covering the side of a hill. the mine entrance is presumably higher up on the slope, and gravity feeds the coal into the mine cars at the bottom. i'm not sure about the covered bridge at the top. could it be where any waste is dumped rather than the tunnel into the coal seem?

and would a mine be serviced by a switcher engine, or a something larger like a 2-8-0?

I don't know enough about coal mines to be an expert, but the bridge at the top is probably the conveyor bringing coal in from the mine which may be quite a ways away. I'm assuming the structure seen is a tipple where various grades of coal are sorted for loading into the hoppers.

As for engines, whatever was handy and cheap is what was used. The 2-8-0 in the picture could have been used, but looks way too pretty.

In mines of any kind, either coal or ore is removed by mechanical means to a collecting point. In the case of ore, it will go through a primary crusher and then into a large "fine ore" bin. At the bottom of the bin is a concave concrete or metal-lined floor with a hole in the middle, like a hopper, with a conveyor below the hole. In some mines, coal is heaped in a large sub-terranean cavity (a void that was mined earlier) inside a hopper built for that purpose and the conveyor hoists the coarse coal to the surface where it is either dumped into trucks or another hopper or bin. The rock around coal seams can be very unstable, so it varies from place to place. If the ore/coal must be primarily crushed to ship properly, or to get it into rotating mills for slurry crushing, it usually goes via conveyor through the side of the concentrator building/crushing plant. In the case of coal, what you are seeing is a conveyor housing going from a collection point inside the original adit and rising to the top of a tipple/hopper/bin. Rail cars either get the coarse stuff that falls out of the bin or they get stuff primarily crushes to a certain size.

I hope that helps.

The anthracite facility shown is a breaker, not a mine. The mine was probably somewhere over the top of that hill and the raw coal and culm (waste material) was transported to the breaker by a conveyor belt. The large structure on the hill was the main breaker building, where the coal passed through breakers with toothed rolls to reduce the lumps to smaller pieces. The smaller pieces are separated into different sizes by a system of graduated sieves, placed in descending order. Sizing is necessary for different types of stoves and furnaces. The culm was also separated out and dumped. It could either be in a tailings pond if the coal was also being washed or in tailing piles. The
large hill seen to the right of the breaker building is mostly composed of dumped tailings or culm. Anthracite is the hardest of all coals so there's usually a lot of rock mixed in with the coal that has to be separated out before it's ready for shipment. Anthracite coal is prized for producing more BTU's per ton than bituminous coal and having less waste and clinkers when the coal is consumed.

Bituminous coal tended to appear in more pure seams and didn't require as much processing. The model coal mine is much more typical of a bituminous mine, with the shaft head enclosed in the wash building and the coal transferred directly to hoppers after removing waste material. As you can see, it was a lot less expensive to build and operate a bituminous coal operation than an anthracite complex. What's unrealistic about the model is that it's too clean and there is too much live vegetation around it. Collieries used their own coal to operate hoists and breaks and it was generally the least marketable and dirtiest coal. Sulfur fumes poured out of the power house stacks (which are also missing in the model scene) and killed every living plant, sometimes for miles around. You can see the fumes being spewed out of the powerhouse stacks in the left photo. The whole area was covered in coal dust and everything took on a faded black appearance.

As far as motive power at mines, it would be very unusual, although not unheard of, to see an articulated locomotive switch a mine. The Virginian did use 2-8-8-2 locomotives in mine service at the largest mines, where trains were made up at the mine and then shipped to Hampton Roads, mostly for use by the US Navy. The Virginian was an unusual railroad, though, in that it always had the best tracks and best locomotives. Most coal carrying railroads did not have the high standards of the Virginian so coal mine or breaker trackage tended to be as light and poorly laid as the railroad could get away with. "Captive" coal mines, like those owned by large corporations like US Steel, had better track and would usually have their own locomotives for making up trains to be dragged down to an interchange point with a major railroad. They could be anything from an 0-4-0 for a small mine to a 2-8-0 for a large mine. Most coal came from independent operators who had very little money for railroad operations. The Pennsy or N&W would construct a branch up a hollow, or valley, that would usually have smaller branches that served coal mines up the different sides of the hollow. These mines, if they had locomotives, would buy the cheapest junkers they could get from the class 1 railroad that served them, usually an old 0-4-0. Most operations were too small to have their own locomotives and many used mules to pull hopper in place to be loaded and then used gravity and a guy hanging on the brake staff to spot the cars. The class 1 railroad would show up several times a week to pick up loads and drop off empties. The Pennsy used lots of Class F 2-6-0's for this service since they were easy on light rails and had enough power to take empties up the hill and loads down.

Whew, probably more than you wanted to know about coal mining. :) I have several relatives that were miners in Pennsylvania and learned a lot of about coal operations while doing our family history.

Last edited by a moderator:
The anthracite facility shown is a breaker, not a mine. ...
Whew, probably more than you wanted to know about coal mining. :) I have several relatives that were miners in Pennsylvania and learned a lot of about coal operations while doing our family history.

it certainly wasn't too much. i very much appreciate the information. my uncle who grew up in the shadow of this mine and the mahanoy plane, told me stories when i was younger.

the phote above say colliery, which is the mine. i have a photo for the east bear ridge colliery (too big to attach, here's a link http://home.comcast.net/~ciurpita/RR/eBearRdgColBrkr.JPG). the photo below is of the st nicolas breaker in the same area in later years.

it's not the same building. like the photo the photo for the st nicolas breaker in the same area, it is on flat ground.

St. Nicholas was a consolidated breaker. Like the Locust Summit breaker it recieved raw coal for mother mines, cleaned it, sorted it and loaded it into hoppers, so al lot of the traffic was loads in, loads out.

A lot of breakers cleaned the coal by sand floatation. They dumped the raw coal into a huge drum of water and sand. The rock would sink in the sand to the bottom and the coal would "float" on top of the sand to the top of the tank.

Greg, my relatives live in Thompson #3, in southwest Pennsylvania. It was a small patch at the top of a Monongahela RR branch that ended at Briar Hill. The mine and furnaces produced coal and coke until the mine shut down in about 1965. I think the branch was abandoned about 1970 and the few remaining coal mines shipped by truck. The coal mines are all shut down now except for a few gopher hole operations. I visited there in 2003 and a number of retired miners have bought and fixed up the old company houses. It's a nice quiet place to live but about 20 miles from the nearest grocery store down some pretty scary roads. :eek:

Back