Hose Tower Build ...

If I didn't have to drill through 4 or 5" of foam and ply I probably would light it up, as well as the other buildings as well. It is just a lot of work when the layout is missing a section of rack and is unusable - something I might have to look at before much longer and before anything else :)

If I didn't have to drill through 4 or 5" of foam and ply I probably would light it up, as well as the other buildings as well. It is just a lot of work when the layout is missing a section of rack and is unusable - something I might have to look at before much longer and before anything else :)
Kitchen saw knife. Cut a groove wide and deep enough for the wire bundle, and a bit wider still to make it look like a gully. Stuff the wire in from on top, paint or throw dirt (dust in N-scale) in on top of that and you are wired up. Ground foam sagebrush, etc. and weeds on top of all that and you are done and done.

The harder part is the actual wiring at the other end. +? -? Which wire goes to which one?

And then there are the new ones: + and +? - and -? I mean...in the old days you really only had the two choices. But nowadays even your wiring requires use of the proper pronouns. Er...polarities. Whatever.

It's all so confusing. Now.

Last edited:
I stepped away for a bit there, but I have the idea you put that ladder & safety cage you soldered together up inside the tower? Yes?

If so, and if you can pull it out WITHOUT tearing the tower apart, I would get it back out and use it elsewhere...where it's visible on the outside of some other structure. It looked quite good, so it's kind of a shame to bury it inside the tower where it's unlikely to be fully appreciated.

Or...leave it where it is, count it as practice...and solder up a second one. :D

Just my opinion.

Kitchen saw knife. Cut a groove wide and deep enough for the wire bundle, and a bit wider still to make it look like a gully. Stuff the wire in from on top, paint or throw dirt (dust in N-scale) in on top of that and you are wired up. Ground foam sagebrush, etc. and weeds on top of all that and you are done and done.

The harder part is the actual wiring at the other end. +? -? Which wire goes to which one?

And then there are the new ones: + and +? - and -? I mean...in the old days you really only had the two choices. But nowadays even your wiring requires use of the proper pronouns. Er...polarities. Whatever.

It's all so confusing. Now.

Except there is also an inch (thereabouts) plaster as well. This will not be lit sorry guys.
I stepped away for a bit there, but I have the idea you put that ladder & safety cage you soldered together up inside the tower? Yes?

If so, and if you can pull it out WITHOUT tearing the tower apart, I would get it back out and use it elsewhere...where it's visible on the outside of some other structure. It looked quite good, so it's kind of a shame to bury it inside the tower where it's unlikely to be fully appreciated.

Or...leave it where it is, count it as practice...and solder up a second one. :D

Just my opinion.
Nope, I still have the ladder and cage assembly. It wouldn't fit inside which is why I didn't use it.

Still working on this thing, just bits and pieces so to speak. Have the front rain gutter on with down pipe and have done all but one side of the roofing:

Had a look at some lighting but am in two minds about it. It is very confined so the light becomes very enhanced. Stepping it down by using color to soften it only worked to an extent and adding larger resistors reduced the amount of area being lit. I think the only way I could light it effectively would be to have 3 SMDs inside the tower at different levels ....

Still working on this thing, just bits and pieces so to speak. Have the front rain gutter on with down pipe and have done all but one side of the roofing:

Had a look at some lighting but am in two minds about it. It is very confined so the light becomes very enhanced. Stepping it down by using color to soften it only worked to an extent and adding larger resistors reduced the amount of area being lit. I think the only way I could light it effectively would be to have 3 SMDs inside the tower at different levels ....
Seeing as you've little space inside, a fiber optic light might work, or grain of wheat lights, I'd go with grain of wheat myself.

Chris, it isn't so much a lack of room for the physical light, it is more a case of the light not having enough room to spread itself around, if that makes sense.

I have a heap of pre wired very small SMD's that'll fit inside the tower no problem - getting them in and keeping them in is another thing :)

Chris, it isn't so much a lack of room for the physical light, it is more a case of the light not having enough room to spread itself around, if that makes sense.

I have a heap of pre wired very small SMD's that'll fit inside the tower no problem - getting them in and keeping them in is another thing :)
I find blackTak usefull in those situations, and a long stick, In my case, a chopstick works great 🙂

Back