Hopper Cars

Ronzzr11

During my last visit to Pennsylvania,I bought four Bachmann hopper cars from a store in Altoona.The colours did,nt look too realistic, so I decided to respray them. I chose a set of Montana Rail Link decals from Microscale, which I bought from Tommy Gilberts store in Gettysburg.
I changed the original plastic wheelsets for metal ones,and swapped the couplers for Kadees.The wheels are brush painted with Tamiya red-brown acrylic.
The original markings on the hoppers, came off quite easily using fine wet and dry paper.All the paint on the car bodies, I sprayed using rattle cans, the blue, is a Ford colour.After applying the decals, I sprayed a coat of matt varnish to finish them off.
Ron

Those cars cleaned up nicely.

On the originals, a little Dullcoat/dullcote goes a long way. For some colors like yellows and orange, it can make the paint color shift more towards oxidized paint.

On the originals, a little Dullcoat/dullcote goes a long way. For some colors like yellows and orange, it can make the paint color shift more towards oxidized paint.
Thats right, I did a similar pair of Bachman hopper cars last year, that were moulded in yellow, just a thin coat of matt varnish took the plastic sheen right off, making the cars look a whole lot better for not too much work.
Ron

It'll kill the shine but can't fix the fact that the colour is totally wrong to begin with.

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cpwx603322&o=wheatboard

Note how the YELLOW panel at right is BLACK on the model.

The car type isn't right either as these government cars never had the extensions on the ends for extra capacity.

Not sure if MRL ever had any cars exactly like this but the paint and decal work looks pretty clean, nice job. :)

Back