Hobby Industry Study

Tell us what you think?

• I feel like I am getting ripped off!

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I don't mind paying 40-50% extra.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
It's like that with EVERYTHING. For example, cabbage. I work in a grocery store and I get to see stuff. Cabbage is picked from the farm and sold to the distributor for ~9 cents a pound. The distributor sells the cabbage to the store's distribution center for 37 cents a pound, more than a 400% markup. The store distribution center sends the store the cabbage, and the store sells it for 69 cents a pound (nearly 100% markup). When we have a sale on cabbage (brings in the elderly), the bare minimum sale price is 39 cents a pound to break even (to cover for ones that get damaged)

And these costs don't have shipping factored in. When shipping is factored in and given the perishable nature of cabbage, theres very little profit on cabbage even though the consumer gets screwed by the 700% markup in the end.

The manufacturers are adapting. The limited run "buy it now or you may miss out!" strategy is part of this. Even that won't last. Model Railroading will be here and continue to adapt. It's just not going to be the same hobby it was 40 years ago. But then, the railroads aren't the same as they were 40 years ago either.

The pre-order system is in place for security for the manufacturers. Before they had the pre-order system, the manufacturer would secure and contract manufacturing time-blocks at the factory (which also makes other brands) to make for example, 5000 units of a certain item. Then, they would sell the item, and whatever was left over would sit in the warehouse. Some items were poor sellers and manufacturers may have lost money in producing those items.

Now, in order to maintain financial stability, they open a pre-order system. If they get for example, 2854 pre-orders, they would contract a run of 3000 units, and sell them all and move on. Manufacturers need to generate a sufficient return to have the right to invest that money in new products.

It isn't the 1960's any more guys. You can't buy a new car for $1500.00 or a house for $25,000.00 or a weeks worth of groceries for $25.00 either. Also, the current level of detail is so far above that Blue Box kit, it's hardly fair to compare prices. If you like something and can afford it, buy it. If you have limited means, or are a younger hobbyist, there are still plenty of low cost items out there. The Walthers Train Line series is affordable, as is the Bachmann line, and let's not forget all that stuff out there at swap meets and on e-bay. Why not just enjoy the hobby? I don't care how much my LHS owner or Phil Walthers take home in their paychecks. I'm just glad they're there.

PS for Brad: Add a third choice: "I feel that the current market prices are fair for what you get." I would have voted that way :)

I'm must totally disagree with your statement, Alan. It is a mistaken opinion held by many, it would seem.

The error in this line thinking is the failure to appreciate that as time passes technology steadily advances. In nearly every situation, whatever items/products are available today are simply the current equivalent and directly comparable to those that were regarded as state-of-the-art at whatever era in the past. Because of this, you are actually getting no more for your money currently than you were getting in 1960's, or whatever era you choose to cite.

In that sense, you really should be paying relatively comparable prices for items...which for an increasing percentage of model railroad items one definitely is not! Prices have escalated dramatically over just the past decade taking model railroading from a relatively affordable hobby to one that clearly will become the province of only a highly select wealthly few in the not too distant future. Reading posts on from all over the Net one sees great many posters indicating that they have either reduced their hobby spending drastically, or even curtain their buying completely and this is specifically because of where prices of new products have gone.

Of all the manufacturers, I see only Atlas, with their Trainman Line of products, actually making an effort to continuing the consistent manufacture of affordable, quality , HO trains. The others all seem likely to be, or are already progressing toward, lines of pretty much museum quality "collectible" locomotives and rollingstock that are produced in ever smaller runs and at rapidly increasing pricing.

In a hobby that is already shrinking as a result of its demographics and the protracted low state of the economy, affordability is a major consideration in its longterm survival. I know of quite a few older men who have lately dropped out of the hobby and there is no longer any significant younger element entering the hobby. These situations all spell escalating problems for the hobby of model railroading in the very near future.

I would like to point out, too, that essentially this same evolutionary path was traversed by brass over the years, to the point where today that facet of the HO hobby has all but vanished. It is truly sad to see that the manufacturers of more conventional HO have today chosen to follow that same road...with the likely same eventual outcome.

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm must totally disagree with your statement, Alan. It is a mistaken opinion held by many, it would seem. The error in this line thinking is the failure to appreciate that as time passes technology steadily advances. In nearly every situation, whatever items/products are available today are simply the current equivalent and directly comparable to those that were regarded as state-of-the-art at whatever era in the past. Because of this, you are actually getting no more for your money currently than you were getting in 1960's, or whatever era you choose to cite.

So you're telling me that there is effectively no difference between that blue box kit and the Kadee car, or the Intermountain car, or whatever? That the only difference between them is time, and that the manufacturers should not be compensated for the research & development, the tooling, the modernization, and all of those things that were necessary to get us where we are today? That all of that effort and expense should be passed on to us gratis?:confused: What a strange way to run an economy!

In that sense, you really should be paying relatively comparable prices for items...which for an increasing percentage of model railroad items one definitely is not! Prices have escalated dramatically over just the past decade taking model railroading from a relatively affordable hobby to one that clearly will become the province of only a highly select wealthly few in the not too distant future. Reading posts on from all over the Net one sees great many posters indicating that they have either reduced their hobby spending drastically, or even curtain their buying completely and this is specifically because of where prices of new products have gone.NYW&B

Have you thought of comparing what percentage of our incomes we are spending on our hobbies now versus the 60's or whenever? If you adjust for inflation and look at what percentage of income is considered "disposable", you might be surprised. Plus we did get quite a few years of very cheap product out of China. That's changing now. I believe prices will go up even further from here. While many have reduced their hobby spending (including me :D) many more have not. The flaw in your thinking can be summed up in one sentence: The stuff is selling out! Those fancy new El Capitan train sets Walthers just did...the ones with the figures and all? Gone in a couple of days. The plated Super Chief cars? Gone, except for what you can find on e-bay, and they are just two recent examples. The limited run business model is not there to drive up pricing, it's there because manufacturers can't afford to keep product on the shelves like they could in years past. "Just in time inventory" is very common in business today. I don't like it either, but I understand why it has to be done.

Of all the manufacturers, I see only Atlas, with their Trainman Line of products, actually making an effort to continuing the consistent manufacture of affordable, quality , HO trains. The others all seem likely to be, or are already progressing toward, lines of pretty much museum quality "collectible" locomotives and rollingstock that are produced in ever smaller runs and at rapidly increasing pricing.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I looked at the Bachmann line at the national, and at I-Hobby. Those GP-7's they did are very nice, and quite affordable. The Walthers Trainline products are well made, durable, and great for entry level hobbyists, plus the Athearn RTR line is still there. There are plenty of choices for those of us who aren't blessed with deep pockets.

In a hobby that it already shrinking as a result of its demographics and the protracted low state of the economy, affordability is a major consideration in its longterm survival. I know of quite a few older men who have lately dropped out of the hobby and there is no longer any significant younger element entering the hobby. These situations all spell escalating problems for the hobby of model railroading in the very near future.

The article referenced by the original poster noted an increase in hobby sales over 2009's numbers. The math would seem to indicate that the hobby is not shrinking. You know, I can remember talking to some of those older men about the state of the hobby, and if you look back at the older magazines you can find letters and opinions that the advent of the Athearn Blue Box kits would be the death of the hobby. Instead they became a staple. At our club we have a comfortable amount of younger members. I'd like to see a few more, but we do have new people coming into the hobby. It may be a little soon to pronounce the hobby dead or dying.;)

I would like to point out, too, that essentially this same evolutionary path was traversed by brass over the years, to the point where today that facet of the HO hobby has all but vanished. It is truly sad to see that the manufacturers of more conventional HO have today chosen to follow that same road...with the likely same eventual outcome.

Gee, the folks at Coach Yard, Glacier Park Models, and Overland, Key and so forth are all going to be shocked to hear they are at death's door;). The brass market is very much alive and well, thanks, though it has moved north of my pocketbook:D. Model runs are much smaller, but they sell out. Quality is very high, and there are even new importers showing up (Union Terminal Imports, to name one). Say rather that they have found their niche and evolved to fit it. There isn't a huge market for Ferraris either, but it's there, and they sell enough of them to make money and stay in business.

Yes, it's a tough economy, but this will pass. Train show attendance is moving up, and sales are improving. I do a couple of these a month as a dealer. I see spending improving, and people still want quality. That's what many people miss. The manufacturers are doing what they are doing because we told them to do it. They are providing what the market wants. I trust that if the market some day decides that we want cheap models that are "good enough" that they will adapt and provide that. We will decide that with our wallets.

If you want "Genesis" quality at "Blue Box" pricing, well...good luck with that.

The 40-50% markup in the original post has to have rent, salaries, utilities, financing, and all those other goodies (the cost of doing business) deducted from it. You might be surprised at how slim the margins are once this happens.

I think there should be more options on the poll

I don't think model railroad prices are out of line with other retail prices. In this hobby there is a very wide gap between top of the line and bottom of the line products.

You get what you pay for isn't always the way it is with our hobby as can be seen by the following two scenarios:

• You can pay top dollar for a ready to run engine or car throw it on your railroad and it's just another engine or car on your roster.
  • You can purchase a blue box engine or car, strip the paint off it, paint it in your favorite railroad colors or your own imaginary railroad, add decals and details. Perhaps add electronics like Ditch lights, DCC and sound. At the end of all this you will still end up with another engine or car on your roster but it may hold a lot more value than the expensive ready to run product because of the personal effort you put into it yet it may only have cost a fraction.
I'm not voting in this poll. Part of the reason is I'm a Canadian with Scottish heritage which makes me thrifty. I go out of my way to find a fair price.

I don't seem to have to go too far out of my way to find a fair price in this hobby so.......... I don't think I'm being gouged and I don't believe I'm paying to much of a mark up.

My last comment is directed towards the remarks about Unions. As far as I know, none of the manufactures of model railroad products are unionized so this really shouldn't be part of the conversation. That being said, employers today still abuse thier employees. People are working longer hours and making less. If thier workforce becomes too much of a problem or cost, they export the work to a third world country. Workers are exploited all over the world including North America.

It's not just about wages, but think on this. If the job is important enough to do in the first place, takes a full time effort then the person doing it should have a living wage. How many times in the last few years have you heard of corporate mismanagement forcing a company into bankruptcy and the workers losing not only thier last paychecks, but everything the company run pension plans have taken from them over the years.

There is still a need for unions in this world, if you don't agree, then you can give back all the benifits that you have in your job (even if you're not in a union) that unions have fought for and gained for over the years.

These include holiday pay, sick days, protection from unreasonable dismisal, harrasment not to mention all the occupational health and safety issues.

Yes, it seems that prices for plastic kits and similar items seem way over priced for what you actually get at times. You would think that plastic must be a non renewable resource that is becoming scarce. I can't believe some of the prices expected for things these days. I was away from the hobby for 17 years so I really notice the rip off factor that seems to be overlooked by current generations. Not on all products, but many that used to be more realisticaly priced. I guess that's why I am still old school and low budget scrounging and making due wherever I can. I do admit that quality of detail and in some cases workmanship has greatly increased but the prices have even out weighed that justification in many cases IMO.

Hello Outback,

Yes, I know what you mean. I got my first layout as a boy in the mid '70s; then I built my own in the late '80s/early '90s and now I am working on my third currently. I can tell you that the price jump between the '70s and late '80s was not as severe as the current price jump between the late '80s and today.

What I would love to have explained to me is since all this stuff is made in China now where everyone gets paid 80 cents an hour- why are we paying what we're paying??!!!:mad:

I'm going to go now, before I blow a rod or a gasket. :rolleyes:

All the best,

Sean C.

I know I can edit a post, but I don't think there is a way in this forum to edit or add an option to the poll after the fact, is there?

Hum, the poll is pretty one sided. :)

Like most of us, I am always looking for a bargain and rarely pay full pop + taxes for an item over the counter. There are some great deals out there though, mostly online.

One thing is certain, I wouldn't want to go back to where we were a few years past. Sound, lighting effects, precise train control, and spectacular detail have elevated our hobby to a point that would have been hard to imagine 20 years ago.

Alan, in response to your expressed opinions and questions in your preceding post, I offer the following in a somewhat abbreviated form.

Correct. I do not regard today's R&D, tooling, etc. in the development of any new item as more difficult, nor relatively more expensive, than it was for Irv Athearn, et al., in the past. They managed to make a living off the net profit from their products without excessive pricing...even though they went from printed cardstock to plastic manufacturing, a vastly greater leap. In fact, R&D and tooling should today both be less difficult and probably less expensive for the manufacturer than it was for those in the 1950's, simply because of the great leaps forward in technology. Yet, in many cases we seem to be paying through the nose for today's trains.

Concerning disposable income today, I would say that in my experience, families actually do devote much more of their funds to this area than years ago. Folks expend huge sums currently on an endless aray of the latest "toys" and electronic gizmos that are far from necessities and that most of us could easily do without. Whether, or not, that curtails expenditures for model trains is debatable. A lack of serious interest among the public is of much greater significance.

There is no flaw in my thinking when it comes to the question of why products quickly sell out today and that it is NOT a sign of high demand. It comes not as a result of a flourishing trade, but rather derives from a combination of ever smaller product runs and the "buy it now, or lose out" marketing strategy the manufacturers use and I cited previously. In the long term, this approach will prove decidedly harmful to the hobby for a number of reasons.

Yes, there are still some good buys left at the lower end of the pricing spectrum currently. However, with the addition of each new product it is clear that nearly all of the manufacturers are moving away from their low-end lines and toward the highend "collectibles" market. Just consider for a moment that a couple of our current biggest names in the manufacture of steam locomotives are former brass importers. Where do you think they intend to take the market? Likewise, have a look at the price tag Bachmann, who for over a decade has indeed been a supporter of some relatively low prices for good models, has placed on its latest HO 4-4-0 steamers: $475 MSRP! Others all have the same story. The days of any affordable HO trains, outside of pure junk, are slowly fading into history.

I see nothing in the increasing profit figures cited that cannot easily be accounted for by the steady hiking of prices we've seen, rather than a result of increased production/sales numbers. We have quite a number of HO locomotives selling in the $500 range now that were totally absent in 2008-09 and IHC, the longtime marketer of affordable entry-level steam is gone forever. Even basic items are rapidly escalating in price. Have you taken a look at the price increases instituted for Atlas' code 83 flextrack in just the past five years! Examples are countless.

Finally, as to the question about the health of the brass market. I can recall in my early years in the hobby that there were literally scores of individual brass importers, large and small. Their product lines formed a larger percentage of the advertising one saw in MR and RMC. Today, only a very limited handful remain and the average hobbyist gives them no notice whatever. More shocking is that, back in the day, some runs of brass were larger than that of today's plastic examples! Further, back in the 60's I remember probably half of my hobby friends owning one, or more, pieces of brass rollingstock, or locomotives. That sort of interest in brass is entirely dead in today's hobby. Most sales of new brass currently actually go to dedicated collectors, most of whom don't even regard themselves as a part of the model railroading hobby.

Clearly the great majority of responders to this thread and similar ones appearing across the Net feel that they are being absused by today's pricing. The feelings of the majority are the same in every poll I've seen, whether one cares to acknowledge that fact, or not.

NYW&B

Greetings NYW&B,

Yes. Right down the line.

I’m in my early to mid 40s and have been involved with model railroading in one fashion or another since I was six years old. I can remember how it used to be- I can also remember when a RTR box car was just 75 cents or a buck more than the kit. Mind you, I do not expect to pay $2.98 for a passenger car like I could back in '77; however, by the same token, I find it obscene to have to pay $40-50 for one car. Especially since everything is made in China now where the average wage for skilled labor is $1.00 an hour. Since in any given industrial model; labor is usually one of the highest, if not the highest fraction of the production cost; one has to ask, "what is wrong with this picture?"

I model in N-Scale and it took me 3 years to finally acquire a C&NW bi-level Commuter fleet. Every time I tried to buy them, (from three different manufacturers), they were always sold out. I finally struck gold with Wheels of Time last production run and was able to procure 10 cars from two different dealers.

I can remember when engines and rolling stock would be available for years on end- now if you blink- they're gone! Not only are they gone- they aren't coming back either. I've talked to people at Kato, Con-Cor and Walther's asking for bi-levels to be released or re-released and I always get emphatic "NOs"! And I pay through the nose for the privilege.

Well, I’ve vented- I just wish I felt better.

All the best,

Sean C.

I have enjoyed reading all these posts; many based on facts and others with well thought opinions. What I am not understanding is where the focus always seems to end up: "40-50% profit margins of our LHS". This margin is not new nor is it unreasonable! What is new is the "other" markups before it gets to the LHS, e.g. Company (Atlas, BLI, Bachmann, etc.), distributors (Walthers, etc).

For a better view of cost increase, instead of trying to use items for price referencing that have been improved with new wizardry, accurate scale and detailing, we need to look at the increase in prices of items that haven't changed in years. There are many and one good example would be Atlas code 83 flex track. Its several price increases have been by Atlas, not the LHS. Since I returned to the hobby over seven years ago, the price for a stick of Atlas track has more than doubled to an MSRP of $6.25. Has the manufacturing process and shipping gone up that much.

Before I get too wound up, I can only say that there is no way I would be in the hobby if I had to start new with today's prices. To think that these prices are not having an influence on the hobby's population is naive. The MR industry may show no negative change, but how many are staying in over 2-3 years? Has their layout been reduced in size? Besides, how in the world do they know the population...what statistics do they use to determine this?

To paraphrase what has been said a few posts back, "If they are dumb enough to pay that price, lets see if we can get more." Almost sounds like the petroleum industry, doesn't it.;) BTW: I shop online for my items.This is not because of the LHS profit margin, but having to cut the cost somewhere. If I didn't, I would have to reduce my layout plans by half or just get out.

Alan, in response to your expressed opinions and questions in your preceding post, I offer the following in a somewhat abbreviated form.

Correct. I do not regard today's R&D, tooling, etc. in the development of any new item as more difficult, nor relatively more expensive, than it was for Irv Athearn, et al., in the past. They managed to make a living off the net profit from their products without excessive pricing...even though they went from printed cardstock to plastic manufacturing, a vastly greater leap. In fact, R&D and tooling should today both be less difficult and probably less expensive for the manufacturer than it was for those in the 1950's, simply because of the great leaps forward in technology. Yet, in many cases we seem to be paying through the nose for today's trains.

Concerning disposable income today, I would say that in my experience, families actually do devote much more of their funds to this area than years ago. Folks expend huge sums currently on an endless aray of the latest "toys" and electronic gizmos that are far from necessities and that most of us could easily do without. Whether, or not, that curtails expenditures for model trains is debatable. A lack of serious interest among the public is of much greater significance.

There is no flaw in my thinking when it comes to the question of why products quickly sell out today and that it is NOT a sign of high demand. It comes not as a result of a flourishing trade, but rather derives from a combination of ever smaller product runs and the "buy it now, or lose out" marketing strategy the manufacturers use and I cited previously. In the long term, this approach will prove decidedly harmful to the hobby for a number of reasons.

Yes, there are still some good buys left at the lower end of the pricing spectrum currently. However, with the addition of each new product it is clear that nearly all of the manufacturers are moving away from their low-end lines and toward the highend "collectibles" market. Just consider for a moment that a couple of our current biggest names in the manufacture of steam locomotives are former brass importers. Where do you think they intend to take the market? Likewise, have a look at the price tag Bachmann, who for over a decade has indeed been a supporter of some relatively low prices for good models, has placed on its latest HO 4-4-0 steamers: $475 MSRP! Others all have the same story. The days of any affordable HO trains, outside of pure junk, are slowly fading into history.

I see nothing in the increasing profit figures cited that cannot easily be accounted for by the steady hiking of prices we've seen, rather than a result of increased production/sales numbers. We have quite a number of HO locomotives selling in the $500 range now that were totally absent in 2008-09 and IHC, the longtime marketer of affordable entry-level steam is gone forever. Even basic items are rapidly escalating in price. Have you taken a look at the price increases instituted for Atlas' code 83 flextrack in just the past five years! Examples are countless.

Finally, as to the question about the health of the brass market. I can recall in my early years in the hobby that there were literally scores of individual brass importers, large and small. Their product lines formed a larger percentage of the advertising one saw in MR and RMC. Today, only a very limited handful remain and the average hobbyist gives them no notice whatever. More shocking is that, back in the day, some runs of brass were larger than that of today's plastic examples! Further, back in the 60's I remember probably half of my hobby friends owning one, or more, pieces of brass rollingstock, or locomotives. That sort of interest in brass is entirely dead in today's hobby. Most sales of new brass currently actually go to dedicated collectors, most of whom don't even regard themselves as a part of the model railroading hobby.

Clearly the great majority of responders to this thread and similar ones appearing across the Net feel that they are being absused by today's pricing. The feelings of the majority are the same in every poll I've seen, whether one cares to acknowledge that fact, or not.

NYW&B

First let me say that I have also enjoyed this discussion. I'll also say that I don't disagree with everything you've posted here. There are instances of high prices without adequate reason. Take the Athearn shorty trailers for instance. You used to get a box full for around $6.50. Now you get two to a card for $14.98. Same tooling, mostly the same paint jobs. Then there is the track issue, thought I have not bought track in a long time. All in all, I think these are in the minority.

With regards to locomotives and rolling stock, where the pricing increases are most visible, and painful :) I can't agree with your argument, because of the vast difference in quality and detail. We can get models now that we never would have dreamed of 20 years ago. Turbines and U-50's, Gensets, things that would have been (and were) available in brass only. Factory sound & DCC pushed prices up quite a bit, and account for a big chunk of the prices of the more expensive models you reference. There's nothing in the "old days" to compare that to.

Freight cars now typically have metal wheelsets, Kadee, Kadee clone, or Kadee compatible couplers, separately applied detail parts like ladders and grabs, full underbody detail. All things we would have had to add when we started out. Painting and tooling detail are much better than they were in the BB era. It's like comparing a 1965 VW beetle to a modern Porsche. And if I'm understanding you, you'd expect to pay the same dollars for the Porsche now as you paid for the beetle in 1967. Unless I've misunderstood you. If I have, please correct me.

On R&D, it's certainly more expensive than it was in Irv's day. Salaries are way up. C&C saves some time but you still have to pay the programmer. You also have to pay for the new machines that do all this (or for their use). There are less people, but they and their skills are more expensive.

On smaller runs, I believe that this is less a selling strategy than an accounting one. The push to stay profitable is relentless in any business. You can bet that sometime, somewhere a bean counter figured out that if the company makes 10,000 freight cars, and sells 3000 right away, then sits on the other 7000 for a year with minimal activity, then blows them out at cost plus 10% or even straight cost to get rid of them, that they could do much better by just making the 3000 and selling them straight away. This is what put quite a few brass importers out of business. Too many unsold models on the shelf ruins your profit margin on a project. Too Too many, and you can't cover your costs, so run sizes dropped drastically. Here again, they are reacting to our buying habits.

On brass, I bought a nice Sunset Models SP 2-6-0 last year for about $650.00. It came with sound & DCC installed, was very nicely detailed, and runs very well. I routinely run it at the club. We still have Sunset, Precision Scale, Glacier Park, Key, and Challenger Imports, among others, and the O scalers have Sunset, Key, and Kohs. The brass market has been whittled down to those who understand the business and are successful. It has evolved to fit the demand. You're right, there aren't as many as there used to be, but can you name any business where that isn't so? There is also a thriving used brass market out there, though it doesn't fit in this discussion.

I was sorry to see IHC pass too, but that was a case of an owner passing away with nobody interested in taking over, wasn't it? The same thing happened to Champ Decals, and looks like it will happen to Westerfield. These are all "Mom & Pop Shops" If the kids aren't interested, they go away, even if they are successful, like Westerfield.

Would I like to see things cheaper? Of course, who wouldn't, but I don't believe we're being ripped off either. We don't get to see the balance sheets, so all we can do is speculate. Just because a Chinese laborer only makes a buck an hour or so doesn't mean you're being robbed. There are other items that are part of the costs you don't necessarily see. What about the living quarters for all those workers on the plant site? Think they are considered as part of the costs? You better believe it! Also, we haven't seen any profit numbers, just gross sales, and gross margins. Without the real numbers (the NET profit), all you can have is an opinion. This one is mine:

I have a hard time believing that there is a vast conspiracy to over charge me for my hobby supplies. The prices are pretty close among the major manufacturers, for example, passenger cars. Athearn, Walthers, Rapido, MTH and BLI are all within about 10 bucks of each other. I think this shows that manufacturing costs are fairly close among them. They would have to conspire to raise prices uniformly if this was not the case. That is called collusion, and it is illegal in this country. Getting caught doing it wins you a free trip to jail.

Bottom line, nobody is forcing you to spend your money. Getting all worked up about how much money you think someone might be making on what you buy is kind of pointless. The hobby is evolving, like it has been since it began.

Regards,

My problem is, we're paying these high prices for these sucky Chinese, no quality control products. It's out of control.

I don't mind paying the high prices, but goddamit it better be quality stuff, and work right out of the box!

And while we're having this discussion, the July issue of MR arrived today. EXACTRAIL is advertising a covered hopper with a $44.95 MSRP.

I'm sure happy my railroad doesn't need any of those. :lol:

Sure, prices have gone up - and something are not quite justified based on cost of production and sale, but for the most part, I don't mind paying more over the years, because the models are a lot nicer than they were. It would be nice to still have those prices, but that's not the way economics works.

At the same time, I don't want to see all models sky rocket in price to $500/engine, then the affordability of the hobby goes away.

So we must be quite the stupid bunch willing to pay $30-50 for a a couple bucks worth of formed plastic! Or far far more if it has a little electric motor in it. I mean come on.... details and metal wheels aside, its just freakin plastic. It's not gold!!

I never would have thunk it 20 years ago that we would be coerced into paying this much for plastic toys. It was said earlier that if one was to start in this hobby from scratch it would cost a small fortune just to get started. I am thankful I still had all my stuff from 20 years ago. All I had to do was buy some code 100 flex track at 5 times the price I paid for it then and thank gawd I still had a fair selction of switches or it would have cost me $500 just to get where I am now with my layout. And that's just for about 35 feet worth of mainline and some short sidings. No structures, no engines, no cars, no scenic materials, just track on board... in plain english: IT IS REDICULOUS!

But, I still enjoy the hobby and finding ways to eliminate the excess costs that others seem more than willing to pay.

I never would have thunk it 20 years ago that we would be coerced into paying this much for plastic toys. It was said earlier that if one was to start in this hobby from scratch it would cost a small fortune just to get started. I am thankful I still had all my stuff from 20 years ago. All I had to do was buy some code 100 flex track at 5 times the price I paid for it then

The other side to your comment is that I never would have thunk that I'd make 5 times more than 20 years ago to buy the flex track that costs 5 times as much. That's the magic of parity between what production earns and what consumption costs, where the variable over time is not the increasing cost of the quality of products...

...but the declining quality of money needed to buy them.

Greg

its just freakin plastic. It's not gold!!
I never would have thunk it 20 years ago that we would be coerced into paying this much for plastic toys.

But that's the thing - No one is coercing any of us to buy any of this stuff. It is all Toys (Nice toys perhaps, but toys) We don't need any of it to survive. Yet some of us are tempted to pay gold like prices to process it. It's all your choice. If you believe you are being ripped off, then you have to ask yourself why are you buying something? I model cheaply because I don't have the expendable cash it appears some others do. I do sometimes 'need' something to complete a project that I feel to be more expense then I like to pay. But it's MY choice to buy, or not. Pay if you like, or don't, but don't complain about the manufacturers ripping you off if you're willing and able to afford it
Just my 2cents

Alan, I think that a few responses to your post would also prove of general interest in regard to this thread's subject, although I will admit the horizon of the subject at hand seems to be steadily expanding.

The manufacturers' current approach to keeping turnover going at the expense of long-term availability will definitely harm the hobby in the long-term. It is not as if that Turbine, 2-10-2, or SD-whatever, manufactured 3 years ago will be re-run in 2012 for benefit of newcomers, or those who missed out the first time around. We've already seen that the manufacturers are very reluctant to re-run anything that doesn't have an absolutely overwhelming demand. So...if you weren't in the hobby right when your particular favorite loco came to market and sold out in 30 days, odds are that with the diminishing run-sizes you might never be able to find one. It's an interesting trade-off that indeed benefits a current, limited element in the hobby, but it has another decided downside. Look around for more historically "common" locomotives, especially steam. These formed the backbone of most railroads' rosters (prototype and model) in the past. They are all but gone from the marketplace today. There was a rash of Pacifics, Mikados, etc. at the very beginning of the HO locomotive boom about a decade ago, but little of their ilk since. Even the latest 4-4-0's that have appeared are basically obscure versions not lasting very far into railroading's Golden Age on any but backwoods lines.

It used to be that if you specialized your were out of luck when it came to selection. Today those who want only the most uncommon and bizarre in the way of motive power are on top, while those in need of normal work-a-day engines, who are still in the majority mind you, go wanting.

Now do I expect to pay a similar number of dollars for a new Porsche as I did in 1965...damn right I do! That is, at least when price is adjusted upwards reasonably for inflation. What I'm unwilling to do is pay 3x as much as I did less than just ten years ago for so many items, particularly basic ones, especially considering how little the average worker in the U.S. has gained in the area of salary (if anything, many have lost ground) in the period. As I've pointed out previously, technology steadily advances and in nearly all industries the consumer today is paying less (in many cases far less) in adjusted dollars for much better products than for those that were available in 1985, or 1965. Hobbies are not the exception to the rule either. I follow several other hobby pursuits that involve expanding technologies in their rapid advancement and I have seen little in the way of any dramatic price rises recently.

The situation with and the demise of IHC needs clarification and was not as you suggest. IHC went out of business because its supplier, Mehano, failed and cut off IHC's source of product. As a result, the owner continued for a short time just selling his remaining stock and subsequently retired. When Mehano did re-organize, it indicated that if and when it would re-enter the U.S. market it would probably do so on its own with a new product line. Thus, there was little interest for anyone to quickly pick up IHC just for the name.

The "small runs" point is critical to the current question. Throughout the hobby's history, at least up until very recently, all the manufacturers were likewise enthusiastic hobbyists. They loved model railroading and wanted to see the hobby grow. Profits often took a backseat to promotion. Read Gordon Varney's, Bill Walthers Sr. and Irv Athearn's bios. Product lines offered a selection of common, although not always completely accurate, models for the hobbyist - who was a dedicated modeler - to build/use as is, or modify, as he saw fit. Prices were kept low and individual product availability often spanned a decade, or two, or more.

Fast forward to today. Few, if any, of the current manufacturers are practicing hobbyists. It's now all about business to them. Move the most product in the shortest time at the greatest profit margin. Good business sense? You bet. Good for the traditional model railroader, not at all! The current business model is no longer even aimed at the traditional hobbyist, nor really promoting the hobby. Rather, it is directed essentially at the newcomer model train enthusiasts who might be financially well off, yet has little in the way of modeling skills and/or time to spend on the traditional form of the hobby. The end result, as everything becomes high-end, RTR, is it alters model railroading from a traditional craftsman's hobby involving time honored hands-on modeling and creates a new hobby that in essence is very little different from simply being a modernized version of playing with store bought Lionels in the 1950's.

Incidentally, you mentioned the complaints voiced in MR long ago by readers who feared that the advent of plastic cars and locos would ruin the hobby. If you go back and fully re-read those letters you'll see that what they were truly fearful of was something your post doesn't suggest. Those old-timers felt that the advent of simpler plastic car and loco kits, requiring little or no hobbyist input or effort, would lead to a degeneration of the hobby into an all RTR, talentless, pursuit. They termed it "HO tin-plate".

It didn't happen then back then because the hobby was composed of a very high percentage of craftsmen-modelers. But many of the folks who have joined the hobby since the mid 1990's are less interested in modeling overall. They just want to run trains, like when they were a kid in the middle of the last century. They use money to make-up for their lack of personal time to pursue the traditional hobby...leading us down the very road those old-timers' feared: to HO tin-plate!

NYW&B

I see the same type of comments expressed here expressed in my other hobby of RC Aircraft.

Hobby folks, me included, seem to think that we OWN the hobby and all things included in it. The fact is we don't. We participate in the hobby and all that it offers.

Regardless of how long one has been in a particular hobby this has no effect on the current state of prices.
Costs change for a variety of reasons. Unless one is in business its difficult to fully appreciate all the attendant costs. If a business doesn't make a sufficient profit to stay in that business then they move elsewhere and we lose their products.

I can't fault anyone for making a profit, what ever it is. People are in business for the buisness, for the most part, and not for the "love of the hobby". That was true before and remains so today.

For all the critics of "how much things cost" try making something and selling it. See where all the fun is in that and let us know how the dollars roll in. I think you will be enlightened :)

As mark-ups go, 40%-50% is on the low end of the spectrum. I would have expected it to be a little higher actually.

Back