Ho Scale Display Case

Found a great use for brass track!! :D
It is a display case but I didn't build it for that necessarily. I built it more so I can access my engines and rolling stock easier when the table is put up. Getting tired of taking everything in an out of boxes.

33w42ft.jpg

2jcegxs.jpg

2mfhtkx.jpg

6th0dk.jpg

display

Looks really great. Nice, simple design that sets the models first.

I might start buying up old re-rail sections to add as the second section. My fingers don't quite do the job. Here in Yuma I would add clear doors for earthquake protection.

Armchair
armchairmodeling.blogspot.com

Thats really neat. We were thinkin about doing something like that. We have alot of stuff that wont fit on the future layout and its a shame to keep it hid away

The other day at my LHS the owner had just bought a collection and got a bunch of old, crusty looking flex track, atlas, tyco, and a few brands I didn't recognize. Probably about 15 pcs, all brass. He told me to take it all if I wanted it so I did and with one piece I built a small display. Brass track is excellent for that. The rest is in my basement, waiting for a home. I may use it one day for old sidings or something. I'm not a wasteful guy so I will most likely use it somewhere. I have actually a few pieces of that brass snap-track in my main line :rolleyes:

Nice job on the display case.

If I was any good at woodworking I'd like to try something like that. Guess I need a table saw first though ;)

I don't have a clue about woodworking, but I do own a miter saw :D
After building my layout table, building a little table for my son and now this case, my confidence is growing.

I was just thinking today about how cool it would be to have the new turbo diesel motor and 6 speed allison drive train that our 2010 3/4 ton company GMC has in it, in my wagoneer.
It gets mid 20's mpg-pulls like a dozer, tows 80mph up hills and cruises at 1700 rpms at 70mph. Not to mention the monster locking diffs it has ready for action.
It is a pretty trouble free set up and low maintenance would be a welcome add to one of these old rigs.
What could be more fun than heated leather seats in an old wagon?

I made 2 display cases to house my Grandfather's and Dad's Lionels and accessories. I got glass panels to keep the dust out but my HO collection is getting too big to fit. I've been collecting quite a collection of UP behemoths. I think I will make one similar to what you have and make grooves along the front edge so that I can slide glass panels back and forth to easily get them in and out of the case. I just have to figure out how wide to make the case so that I can display my rolling stock along with my engines. I also have not figured out how to cut narrow grooves so that the wheel flanges can sit in the grooves. The blade on my table saw is way too wide for wheel flange grooves.
-Art

Instead of two grooves, how about one wide slot?

Ron
That's a good idea maybe I will do that. 2 narrow groves would seem better hough just for the flanges, easier for me to find the groves. A single wide groove could be made just wide enough for the wheels to sit on top and the flanges could hang down into the wide groove. I didn't think of that. That should be easy to do with dado cuts on my table saw.
-Art

If you try the wide slot, and find you don,t like it, you could always glue an inlay strip into it, and make two grooves that way.
Ron

Back