HO Locomotive Strange Construction

Breor47

Brakeman
I don't think there's an easier task than replacing a coupler... unless you're talking about replacing a coupler on the locomotive I have here.

The coupler boxes on this one are formed by both the metal base, as one might call it, and the plastic shell. The two press together and form a little space for each coupler, so I'll need to remove the shell to replace the coupler. Strange; none of my other locomotives work like this.

And removing the cell is proving to be a task by itself. They've (whoever "they" are, the locomotive does not have any manufacturer identification whatsoever on it) got four screws on the bottom and then four plastic clips.

112_2917.jpg

I've removed the screws (thankfully, I can do that) but the clips are difficult. I can tell that you're supposed to bend the tops inward so that they can then slide through the slots, but then the question becomes how to do four at once!

Each one is set inside a trench nearly a centimeter deep, with no room around it. They are set too far apart for tweezers, pliers have prongs that are too think to slip in between the plastic part and the inside of the trench.

If I had five hands, and very long nails, I suppose this would be possible.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I think the locomotive could be this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't recognize the bottom but the trucks almost look Athearn.
Some side and end pics might provide more clues.

It appears to be the earlier Athearn "Blue box" or immediate successor with the fuel tank as part of the chassis casting. The screws you have removed in that case only secure the motor into the chassis, not the chassis to the shell. The thing is though, on those Athearn's, the shell had gaps in the pilots and it wasn't necessary to remove the shell to change couplers, in fact the shell would slip off without the need to remove them at all. The clips definitely look early Athearn and are what secure the shell.

The instructions for those were to squeeze the shell inwards by gripping the sides of the shell above the walkway and wriggling. I have to say that that never worked for me. I had to wedge the clips inward with the use of very small, flat screwdrivers, and then wriggle the shell. Took some doing, as the screwdrivers would keep falling out. Eventually got one side up enough and then the other to free it, but the hook ends got some bevelling with a small file after to modify them so as to ease their grip.

The instructions for those were to squeeze the shell inwards by gripping the sides of the shell above the walkway and wriggling.

Thanks for this; managed to wriggle it open just now. I will be following your lead, however, and beveling the clips down before I put the shell back on.

Shell Off!.jpg

With regards to the screws connecting the chassis to the motor, I suppose I misjudged what connected to what. :p Was sure thinking they had that shell held down tight.

Just rounding the tips off is enough, too much and the shell might slip off when you pick it up.

Didn't the early Athearns hold the motor in by those white rubber things? Maybe not on all models.
That would have given away right off the bat!
Looks like the couplers have screws holding them down opposed to the famous Athearns clip too.
Despite knowing better I still tend to pick a loco up by the DB only to have it come off and fall back to the earth.

Didn't the early Athearns hold the motor in by those white rubber things? Maybe not on all models.
That would have given away right off the bat!
Looks like the couplers have screws holding them down opposed to the famous Athearns clip too.
Despite knowing better I still tend to pick a loco up by the DB only to have it come off and fall back to the earth.

I only ever had a couple of those from the "transition era" between the original blue box and the later RTR DCC quick plug fitted, when they came as a partial kit, with the choice of both wire or plastic handrails (still in the blue box). The coupler boxes are an extension of the chassis with a flat cover. The motor had plastic mounts that gripped it (the screws held the mounts to the chassis) but it still used the chassis as part of the electrical circuit.

DB's must have a different meaning between here and the US :p

Back