Hesitation and plain old wont move.

nycentral57

Hello my friends

I have a question for you fella's who know how to fix these dang engines. I have an engine that wont move. When you apply the throttle it gets power just fine but it just sits
there humming. Has anyone ever fixed a problem like this?

I'm sorry, Well actually I have 2 engines 1 is C420 I'm not sure of the manufacture or the decade probably 80's This engine wants to run it gets lots of power but doesn't go anywhere. The other is a FP40 (Spectrum) I think the 90's
It has the same problem. Gets power but doesn't move. Then there are engines that seem to run fine but always seem to hit dead spots where they hesitate at different parts of the track. The track is clean. I took them apart and
clean them very well re-greased them and they run better but they still hit that hesitation point.

1 is C420 I'm not sure of the manufacture or the decade probably 80's This engine wants to run it gets lots of power but doesn't go anywhere.
Sounds like AHM brand. Do you know it is getting power because the light is on or are the wheels spinning but the loco is just not moving? Is the motor spinning and the wheels just not turning? If the latter sounds like the drive shaft may be broken.

The other is a FP40 (Spectrum) I think the 90's It has the same problem. Gets power but doesn't move.
Yeah that would be the 1992 run. Should be an OK runner. Have you opened the shell and turned the motor by hand to be certain it is not bound up?

Then there are engines that seem to run fine but always seem to hit dead spots where they hesitate at different parts of the track. The track is clean.
Are you using sectional track and is it dead for a whole section? If so you might need need new rail joiners, but that would be a really big dead spot. Sounds more like the track isn't really clean. How are you cleaning it? What is the rail made of - brass, steel, nickel-silver? Sometimes it is necessary to get some abrasive polishing compound after it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like AHM brand. Do you know it is getting power because the light is on or are the wheels spinning but the loco is just not moving? Is the motor spinning and the wheels just not turning? If the latter sounds like the drive shaft may be broken.

Yeah that would be the 1992 run. Should be an OK runner. Have you opened the shell and turned the motor by hand to be certain it is not bound up?

Are you using sectional track and is it dead for a whole section? If so you might need need new rail joiners, but that would be a really big dead spot. Sounds more like the track isn't really clean. How are you cleaning it? What is the rail made of - brass, steel, nickel-silver? Sometimes it is necessary to get some abrasive polishing compound after it.

It's definitly getting power, the gears are not turning. The lights are all ablaze like it wants to take off BUT... I have taken the shell off the cleaned it up tried turning the wheels but of course they won't turn.....Yes I am using section
EZ Track but I know it's clean I don't have any problems with other engines I run. As for cleaning the track I use one of those eraser looking things. As I also mentioned I have certain engines that run real well except they have a problem
of needing a push sometimes to get running and while they are running (Well) they just all a sudden hesitate but keep going and continue to hesitate every once in a while. I have a whole lot of very good engines I have no problems but it's these engine's with the problems I like to run to try and fix them. I like to take a broken engine and get her running good again.

I would dismantle the engines and check two things.

1. Pull out the motor, apply some power to it, and see if it spins. It could have a piece of debris jammed in it that prevents the motor from turning.

2. While the motor is out of the engine, turn the drive shafts by hand and see if the wheels turn. There might be some debris in the gears that prevent them from turning.

- Jeff

Back