Help with an Atlas Gold Dual Mode (I think decoder)

High Speed Kurt

Gone Railin!
Help with an Atlas Gold Dual Mode (I think) decoder

Hello,

So here is the deal. I bought a C40-8 on ebay for $36 bucks. A steal anyway you look at it.

When I put the engine on my dads layout to test it, I heard a sound and then nothing. So the engine is DCC, and has sound. I dont do DCC so now I have a question.

I know the Atlas engines come with dual mode decoders, however after getting the shell off, I dont think this is one. I dont see the switch or the piece to make it a DC engine.

Thoughts?

Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
All decoders made after about 2006 are dual mode. I don't know which one you have, but if it is sound, they were dual mode universally from about late 2005 on. If you are running DC, you'll need about 5-6 volts to get the sound system to work and another volt or so to get movement.

The decoder may already have its CV29 set to a value of 34, in which case it won't operate on a DC track system. If it is set to a value of 38, it will sense either one and switch to operate that way.

If your decoder makes an initial sound and then dies quickly, it is on silent mode (press F8, or "Mute"), or it may be an earlier QSI that won't run until you either take it out of partial shut-down or acquire it with the throttle. The reason I am singling out QSI is that for many years that was the decoder of choice for Atlas, and we must assume this isn't a substitute of another kind by the previous owner......?

Sometimes the best thing to do with a strange decoder is to do a factory default reset. QSI's take three steps, while virtually all others need CV8 changed to a value of 8. No matter what, do not forget to cycle off power to the rails after you enter the reset. Then power up, acquire address 03, and you should be good to go. If you don't have DCC, you'll have to find a friend, club, or a local hobby shop to reset the decoder for you.

Sometimes just dialling in the address, if you know what it is, and dialing in voltage or speed steps, will get the decoder to commence sounds and do what else you want of it within its capability.

That's good info. I thought I had read something that all engines with DCC could operate on DC without removing the decoder, now I know.

I will get this unit to a layout with DCC soon hopefully.

Thanks,

Kurt

What you have is a QSI sound decoder. They can be programmed on your DC layout, at least enough for your railroad at home. If your locomotive came with he manuals, simply follow the instructions fod dc programming. You should have a magnetic "magic wand" to help you program it.

If you have a small rare earth type magnet, say the ones at the bottoms of the wands on Phiips Sonic Care electric toothbrushes, maybe waving one of those over the decoder, shutting off track power, and then turning power back on to the rails will make it indicate a reset.

N.B. - keep a piece of cardboard or something between the magnet and the board components. You don't want a sudden click and damage when the two meet. Those magnets are extremely powerful.

This process worked! My dad used like 18 gauage wire for his bus wire so the engine doesnt move very fast but on my layout it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The locomotive will take more power to get moving and move fast because of the decoder. This is OK.
If you are running on DC you can blow the horn by using the directional switch on the power supply. The loco will not reverse but will blow the horn. Don't have any other engines on the track or they will reverse.
If you flip the switch quick back and forth you can turn on or off the bell.

Bob

So I can never run this engine with any other DC engines if I want to use any sound features? I am guessing it has to be completely stopped to change directions. This sounds like a bad deal, I think it may go for sale on ebay.

I am NOT hawking for MRC Tech 6 6.0, but if you want to run both DC and DCC/Sound locos (not at the same time, but on the same layout), you might consider this. I have far more DC locos from the last 50+ years than I can ever afford to convert nor have time to do so if I won the lottery. But I do have a few DCC with sound, and that Tech 6 is the answer.

Correct. You can only run it with other engines equipped with dual mode decoder or dcc. Time to get a dummy engine. If you use the directional switch to access any functions the DC engine only will reverse. To change direction on the QSI you have to be at idol or stop and the DC engine would still be trying to run.

Bob

Back