Hello

Never even owned a train set except a small one around the Christmas tree a million years ago.
That is where my obsession began. Since I moved in 2017, I haven't had a permanent layout. Christmas trains have been a constant.
I learned once thing already. I need to up my budge.
Go slow, my idea of what I wanted has changed several times. It's easy to overspend. I ended up with more than I can use.

Hope it's alright to be on this forum. I'm 87 years old,had to give up my hobbies such as archery, golf, showing cars ect. Though I could set up a model train setup in my garage to keep my mine active, this summer. I'm USAF retired.
Many forums barely have a few active peo-old, but here there are plenty, plenty of help should be available, and if you drop in the coffee shop you feel a load of gas bags chatting :D welcome.

Though I could set up a model train setup in my garage to keep my mine active, this summer. I'm USAF retired.
You mention setting up in your garage...this summer. Where are you located that you'd need to wait for summer to set up in your garage? Model railroading can be a year-round hobby, so it might pay to weatherize the garage with heat/cooling. Budgeting is always a good idea. As to winding up with more than you need...I resemble that! I've been in the hobby off-and-on (time out for college, Air Force, work, etc,, since I was about 15, and need to join "model steam locomotives anonamous" (currently bidding on a bunch of parts for a Mantua steamer). About 15 years ago my wife and I added a 14 x 28 ft. addition to the house, so we could split it to give her a study and me space for my current layout. But I have more than enough rolling stock that half sits in drawers. Wife said to me that if she can clean out the 16 x 10 storage space in the basement, then maybe I could... Maybe for my 82nd birthday?

Hope it's alright to be on this forum. I'm 87 years old,had to give up my hobbies such as archery, golf, showing cars ect. Though I could set up a model train setup in my garage to keep my mine active, this summer. I'm USAF retired.
Your more than welcome here, we have members in a wide age range that are always willing to offer help and advice, just remember we are addicts when it comes to photos of your projects, (whenever and whatever layout you decide on), and there's no such thing as a dumb question, just the one you didn't ask. :)

Have a look around the forum and ask any questions you may have.

Gee.... Thanks...
Hey hey I include myself, and us gas bags always have a warm welcome for people wether they need company, advice, support, railway reference, and those who drop hints regards their threads, in fact I love it so much I think we could charge! For someone who has tried an awful lot of railway forums this one and its coffee shop is the one I call home and THAT is because of people like you. I on the other hand am the clown act :D

Sounds like you are kind of in the same boat as me. Can't do too much in the winter so I started a project. Good luck to you1 cheri

Everyone asks me how much have I spent on my (relatively small) layout. I tell them that I kept track of that early on but that took all the fun out of it and left me asking myself; What am I doing!? 😂
Paul I also did that, but then I worried I was spending too much on trains. Gave that up, problem solved! :D

Sounds like you are kind of in the same boat as me. Can't do too much in the winter so I started a project. Good luck to you1 cheri
Drop in the coffee shop, female and likes bikes you get my vote (oh I’m female I should say another female lol, before I accidentally freak you out lol.)

Back