Haven't done this for years!

Well, I got the book and read the first 2 chapters. I must say, I am impressed. Still didn't do any layout because I just don't have the table big enough. My brain has me doing a setup on 3 walls, actually 2 walls and 2 corners. Trying to find someone with a truck to get lumber. also, there are 2 model train stores fairly close to where I live. Has anyone ever tried a dishwasher for track and plastic parts? Not the engines, obviously. Going to start my own thread under Steam Shed Cheri. My nickname at one of the clubs I belong to. Cheri
Cheri: I have put *all* kinds of electrical stuff in dishwashers. Wife made me buy my own. Got an older model without bells and whistles free. I mostly use dishwasher soap but 1/4 of what is recommended. Sometimes [whatever] only needs a rinse so in it goes. Do not use the 'heated dry' cycle if so equipped and adjust the incoming hot water to 'not much'. Only thing you need to remember is to let it dry/drip for at least 24Hrs, fan pointed at it is good also. When I can get away with it, some stuff goes in the oven at a low temp; 120F or so for a couple of hours.

I started doing this circa '87 when working for a company that built MICR systems. Production manager apparently could not find me and was looking around. Found me in the Men's room washing a keyboard. He came unglued about that with some statement about screwing up the electronics. Ya, Randy - Pay attention. How do you think the KB manufactures get the grunge, flux and solder mask off of said boards? Yup, put them in a water or solvent wash. How about that? Oh, and it was his KB cuz he was complaining about sticking keys. Geesh, quit drinking sugar drinks around your keyboard! You do have to watch out for active paper components ... speakers, mic's .. stuff like that.

All-in-all a DW is a great way to get rid of all that accumulated dust that our models tend to collect. I have not tried anything that is weathered, as that may be a TLOC question. Suspect that after that last seal coat it should not be a problem. Probably would not use soap either with weathering. Remember we are not trying to drown the things, just a quick washy-washy.

Later

I have not used a dishwasher, but have cleaned rolling stock in a bowl of warm water and a small amount of dishwash liquid. Not done it on any weathered items.

I have not used the dishwasher to clean track. I have laid used flex track and sectional track out in a heavy rainstorm to wash old ballast and glue off it. After drying, I used an old pink school eraser to clean the rail tops.
Todd's suggestion is good if you can control the water temperature.

Back