Haven't done this for years!

Cherish

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie at this. I was bored all winter and I got a bunch of used trains, some stuff from Ebay, and my vivid imagination got going. Going to set up in my big empty basement. i'm mechanical, artistic and did a couple models over the winter and I decided this would be the thing to do. I am disabled, retired and kind of broke, so i will be making stuff more than buying. Figured set up on the floor for now and just see what happens. If I stay with it, maybe tables? That will have to be later. I may be looking for some help at times and this looked like the place to be. Love motorcycles and steam engines. i drive a 194 Buffalo Steam Roller at a club I am a member of and i also do lots of volunteer work. My dogs are my best friend/companions and I live in the middle of nowhere. That's enough from me for now. Hope to be in touch with some of you at some point. Cheri

Thanks. Is there a particular book or magazine that is best for beginners? I've looked at several, but I'd rather someone recommend something. Some of the stuff I saw was a bit much. I don't want to get myself to the point that I quit. Cheri

In spite of the few people who want you to model railroad their way, it is a big and variable enough hobby to do it however you want. Personally, I like switching. Cars show up from somewhere, get put into a short train the short train delivers them to local industries and picks up previously delivered cars. The little train takes them back to the start and they go off to their destination. It is sort of how a real railroad does it.

If that is your thing, a small shelf with a couple tracks is enough to get started and can be easily added on to. I recently came across a YouTube channel called SoCal Scale Models. I like his simple laid back, make it work style. But again, explore and find what inspires your creativity. Then share some photos with us, please.

Thanks. Is there a particular book or magazine that is best for beginners? I've looked at several, but I'd rather someone recommend something. Some of the stuff I saw was a bit much. I don't want to get myself to the point that I quit. Cheri
Collectible Railroad Books (1900-Now) _ eBay.jpg

This book is a favorite of mine.

I have the book above. Started reading it when I was 8 years old. My father passed it down to me when he downsized his book collection. Hopefully I can do the same thing to one of my sons. My favorite picture is “Malfunction Junction”.

Welcome to the Forum Cheri as @timlange3 suggested a shelf-style layout would probably be easier as basement floors tend to be a bit dusty and I'm sure with your skills putting up a shelf or two would be a doddle.

Have a look around the forums and anything you're not sure about or simply interested in just ask, we have a lot of members willing and able to help.

It depends on what your desired modeling "goal" is-- e.g. mostly building and modeling without an emphasis on running trains; less realism but more of a fun layout that will fit your space; or something somewhat prototypical with realistic operations (just some examples).

If you are leaning towards the latter, I would recommend the book, "Track Planning for Realistic Operation," by John Armstrong. It was probably one of the most useful references when I first started thinking about a layout. Although it came out some years ago, the concepts within are timeless for a good layout foundation. Unfortunately, I think it may be out of print now and possibly difficult to find.

81FTHiKAeNL._SL1360_.jpg

Thanks for all the references. I'm really not sure where I am going with this yet. The more I read here, the more my imagination gets the best of me. I just don't want to overwhelm myself. For right now it is goling on the basement floor until I figure out a track plan. Then I will decide whether to go with shelves/tables. Again, thanx all for the help.

Thanks for all the references. I'm really not sure where I am going with this yet. The more I read here, the more my imagination gets the best of me. I just don't want to overwhelm myself. For right now it is goling on the basement floor until I figure out a track plan. Then I will decide whether to go with shelves/tables. Again, thanx all for the help.
I think we all started with grand plans for our layout, but time (and $) can and does get in the way, as you're starting out, keep it simple and just lay track as you see fit, track planning can come later when you feel more at ease with the hobby and decide this is something you want to do and want a more permanent layout.

As you already mentioned you would like to make more than buy we have a young college student who has made his own layout using for sale signboards he's found, sponges from the dollar store and his kitchen, all sorts of stuff, well worth a look.

Another question or 2: Can I use brass and nickel track on the same line as long as they are the same code? And how do I clean and oil (what kind) the track pieces. Haven't tried anything yet. Cheri

I can't say whether you can use nickel silver and brass tracks together, I believe you can but other members would know for sure, but brass track needs more maintenance (cleaning) than nickel silver

As for oiling your track definitely no, oil attracts dirt and dust the last thing you want on the track as that will give you endless problems with conductivity between the track and the Loco's pickup wheels, it will also end up in the Locos gear mechanism and motor which will give a whole host of other problems.

Track cleaning can be a minefield as there are various opinions and a whole host of methods people use as well as the conditions, ie. hot, humid lofts, cold garages etc. where layouts are kept.

You can search on the forum using the search bar (top right) just type "track Cleaning"

The simplest method I know, use a large penny washer and run it lightly over the track face with your finger or a piece of wood.

Another question or 2: Can I use brass and nickel track on the same line as long as they are the same code? And how do I clean and oil (what kind) the track pieces. Haven't tried anything yet. Cheri
Hello Cheri, and welcome to the forum

Yes, you can easily mix brass and nickel silver track together, no problem. They don't even have to be the same code of rail, if you know how to adjust for the size difference. But best is the same code however, as they should fit directly together with no problems whatsoever.

The top of your rails need to be clean for best electrical conductivity. Smudge617 offers good advice on that subject. Also, occasionally wipe the top of the rails off with rag or paper towel moistened with either kerosene, or naptha, or mineral spirits (3 commonly available chemicals) to help maintain cleanliness and conductivity. You can clean your loco wheels with one of them also, except don't get it on any traction tires (if so equipped) - they could prematurely deteriorate if you do.

This HO Scale Template is handy for figuring layout design.

ctt5003.jpg

Well, I got the book and read the first 2 chapters. I must say, I am impressed. Still didn't do any layout because I just don't have the table big enough. My brain has me doing a setup on 3 walls, actually 2 walls and 2 corners. Trying to find someone with a truck to get lumber. also, there are 2 model train stores fairly close to where I live. Has anyone ever tried a dishwasher for track and plastic parts? Not the engines, obviously. Going to start my own thread under Steam Shed Cheri. My nickname at one of the clubs I belong to. Cheri

Back