Have you seen this?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bruette

Hey Marv, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Polar Express set. That was my first Lionel set and what started my obsession.

For your search for the 0-4-0 you could also consider purchasing another RTR set. Lionel makes the 0-4-0 in a LionChief version that they use in sets. They also make a LionChief Plus locomotive. Here are a few I found at model train stuff. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv=lionel+0-4-0

Hey Marv, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Polar Express set. That was my first Lionel set and what started my obsession.

For your search for the 0-4-0 you could also consider purchasing another RTR set. Lionel makes the 0-4-0 in a LionChief version that they use in sets. They also make a LionChief Plus locomotive. Here are a few I found at model train stuff. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv=lionel+0-4-0
Thank you so much> It looks like the Lion Chief Plus A5 #3891 would sail along with the Polar express package. I was so posessed with the idea of first the Climax, then the Shay that I just received the Shay yesterday. I am somewhat detail challenged so now after reading the directions, I find theminimum radiius is 54". My small layout is just 42" wide. duh. So, I think I will go ahead and order the 0-4-0 Lion Chief. Who would like to buy a new Lionel 3 truck Shay in original packaging?
Or do you have a magic suggestion otherwise?
Thanks, in advance.

OK, I just ordered the B&O 0-4-0, great looking little engine/switcher. It fits my small layout much better, though I will miss the animated action of the shay or climax.

Bruette

Radius, we always want bigger.

I'll look into the Shay or Climax. I have and enjoy steam engines, but diesels are my favorites.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your trains, me too, when I can, but always not far from my mind.

My new Lion Chief 0-4-0 was shipped today. It is 17" long and rated for 031 I have Lionel 3 rail. BTW, what a fantastic place to do business, MB Klein sent me a return label while I talked with them on the phone today.
1526520050540.png

That is what I have and I do love it
Where do you run it? It also requires O-54 curves. You could run the Shay on that same track.

I finally got a set of O-72 curves (the big high rail tube type) to run mine on, when and if they ever fill the order. Last March the Lionel rep at a train show told me they were supposed to arrive in May. Well - no word yet.

Last edited:
I am using 036 which came with the set it is a tight curve but works I recently added a 072 wye which looks great and works good. am set up on a 42 inch wide table. Now another situation The Berkshire with three lighted Passenger cars along with a 04 o Switcher is drawing too much power from the Transformer packaged with a original Polar Express I installed a second Transformer to power lighting only what could you suggest for a Transformer that will run both trains?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com