Have Proto 2000 questions

Johnreese

I have a Proto 2000 Alco PA in DC I purchased over 20+ years ago and am just now delving into it. The instructions say it comes with a
"Digital Socket" that will take a plug in decoder for DCC. I can't locate this socket nor see it, but maybe one of you can. Photos of side and top attached. If it does not come with this socket, does it look like I have any room to add a decoder and speaker? The chassis looks crowded to me.
Thanks for looking.
JRP

Attachments

• 20240116_130456.jpg
    20240116_130456.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240116_130502.jpg
    20240116_130502.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 25
1705456699195.png

Arrow pointing at the "dummy" or DC jumper plug protecting the socket. This loco was made when DCC was just gaining real popularity and so model manufacturers weren't used to making these ports easy to access.

I have a Proto 2000 Alco PA in DC I purchased over 20+ years ago and am just now delving into it. The instructions say it comes with a
"Digital Socket" that will take a plug in decoder for DCC. I can't locate this socket nor see it, but maybe one of you can. If it does not come with this socket, does it look like I have any room to add a decoder and speaker? The chassis looks crowded to me.
Yes, very crowded. I tried to do one of the PA conversions using a decoder in the 8-pin on a wire configuration. I ended up with so many wires looped around on that end of the locomotive, I had a hard time getting the shell back on. Being frustrated with the situation, I took out the entire factory circuit board and just replaced it all with the decoder directly.

Back