Guys can you help my new kato CN 5931 sd40-2 won’t run it’s used in good condition but it won’t run or light up!

B7CCB3C3-E9D1-42D7-A707-CA51B052A305.jpeg

I have a suspicion.
Can you remove the couplers, and take a look at the circuit board that’s over the motor?
I opened it up and found a dcc decoder and the circuit board is not on motor but it’s attached to the top of shell. I’m thinking I may need a dcc controller I use a regular bachmann dc controller

I opened it up and found a dcc decoder and the circuit board is not on motor but it’s attached to the top of shell. I’m thinking I may need a dcc controller I use a regular bachmann dc controller
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like the previous owner has locked the decoder to DCC operation only, you'll need a DCC controller and programming track to switch it to analogue, or you could possibly remove the decoder and fit a blanking plate to return it to DC only operation.

If you post a foto of the circuit board we will be able to advise you further.

That's pretty much what I expected. If it still has its factory circuit board, with the decoder plugged in to the 8 pin plug on it, you can remove the decoder, and put a dummy plug back in so it will work on DC. If you look carefully, you may find Kato's version of a dummy plug somewhere in the packaging. It will look like two pieces of brass angles, with pins to go into the holes in the circuit board.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like the previous owner has locked the decoder to DCC operation only, you'll need a DCC controller and programming track to switch it to analogue, or you could possibly remove the decoder and fit a blanking plate to return it to DC only operation.

If you post a foto of the circuit board we will be able to advise you further.
I’m going to get a bachmann dcc controller. Will it work on a bachmann dcc or do I need a higher end one?

One more thing to check is the contact strip from the trucks to the motor that runs along the frame, the early Katos are infamous for it breaking contact. Even if you get the beastie up and running it’s something to watch for.
Good luck

One more thing to check is the contact strip from the trucks to the motor that runs along the frame, the early Katos are infamous for it breaking contact. Even if you get the beastie up and running it’s something to watch for.
Good luck
Had major issues with that exact thing. I ended up soldering wires to my trucks and bypassed that annoying copper strip.

Back