Greetings from Sacramento!

Hello, I recently joined this forum and figured I'd better do an introduction because I already joined in a few discussions. I model HO scale "transition era:" (1940s-1950s) electric traction and early diesel, specifically Sacramento Northern and Central California Traction, although like most model railroaders my interests are scattered all over. Below is a photo that shows about half of my layout, with a team of guest operators; it's a standard gauge, point to point HO shelf layout, currently 9'6"x23' in a U shape. Control is Digitrax DCC, operation is by wheel report. It was designed for solo operation but I recently hosted some operators for a convention, who gave me a lot of useful feedback. While I principally model traction, I don't run overhead wire, and part of my motive power are diesel-electric locomotives. Operation is principally freight switching, with some provision for passenger operation. I don't use signals, switches are Peco "Insulfrog" operated by hand; I like to stick my hands in the layout when operating, another reason why I don't model trolley wire. To that end, I don't like to have shelves more than a foot or so deep (a short section of 2' deep shelf in an out of view section has only reinforced this principle for future expansion.)

The layout was designed in sectional fashion, which allowed gradual expansion as I completed each section, simplifies troubleshooting because I can disconnect and even remove sections to be worked on, and also allowed the layout to be moved twice--not without some headaches, but I'm still very happy with my decision to not build a traditional "permanent" layout.

Like a lot of model railroaders, I got into the hobby as a kid, got out as a teenager because model trains weren't cool, and got back into it in my thirties because I wasn't cool. That was about 20 years ago and it's still a lot of fun. My current situation will allow construction and decorating of several more modules, including bridges over the American and Sacramento Rivers, the waterfront of West Sacramento, and a "branch line" representing Central California Traction's operations that served the California State Fairgrounds when it was located in the Oak Park neighborhood.

The layout's construction and design (and my own journey) is very intertwined with the history of Sacramento in the 20th century, and most of the places I model are within walking distance of home, which makes verifying details simpler (except where the prototype has been demolished.) Glad to join in another railroad forum and look forward to exchanging ideas with other modelers here.
20230427_202344.jpg

Last edited:

Back