Good general DC powerpack?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
I'm looking to upgrade the powerpack on my small 4x8 HO layout. I run some older Athearn engines and some don't run with my current powerpack(but they do at the local hobby shop). Not sure the current capacity of my pack as I'm not at home, but its the pack that came with a cheap set and is over 20 years old.

What powerpack would you recommend? I'll run 2 or 3 trains on this layout tops, and I've got it set up in about 8 different blocks. Not sure what other type of information is relevant. I've seen different MRC models at my LHS and been impressed, but figured i'd ask the experts here!! :D

Thanks for any info!
Jason

Jason, before I went DCC I had a pair of MRC Tech II's. I think they were 2400s. I was very happy with them. You can find them on the bay for around $30 or so.

Terry

MRC's are about the only serious DC powerpack left. I agree that the modern Tech II's offer a lot for not much money. If you want to buy new, the MRC Tech 4 200 is a good deal at around $50.

Thanks for the responses!

I've been looking at mostly new packs, but have also looked at ebay a bit too. How much functionality, if any, do these powerpacks "lose" if they are used? I guess I'd rather get a used model that has more power than a new one with less.

What do the MRC numbers correspond to? Does the 1400 equate to 14 va?

Here is another plug for MRC. I've had 2 MRC 501 Golden Throttle Pacs in service since 1976, admittedly with about 24 years of not ever being turned on. I run everything off them including a capacitor discharge for switch machines off the AC terminals. They still work like the day I first brought them home. Since I am never planning to convert to DCC I will stick with MRC to upgrade when the time comes and that should be soon.

Other than possibly a rheostat failing there isn't much that can go wrong with them.

Another vote for MRC . For basic testing purposes I still use my power pack that came with my train set.

MRC makes great packs, had this one since i was a kid and it still works just fine.
DSC_0475.png

I've been looking at mostly new packs, but have also looked at ebay a bit too. How much functionality, if any, do these powerpacks "lose" if they are used? I guess I'd rather get a used model that has more power than a new one with less.

What do the MRC numbers correspond to? Does the 1400 equate to 14 va?

i would say they do not loose functionality.

i have a pair of the aforementioned TechII 1400s (untill i get more decoders to completely ditch DC). those are simpler packs , without momentum or any other fancy functionality. but they do work good. in lower settings they actually output pulsed power that helps greatly for slow speed control.

Thanks fellas, all good stuff. Sounds like MRC is the way to go.

That said, what pack would work best on my layout? I'm running the Atlas "Trunk Line", just a simple 4x8 with ~8 separate blocks right now. I only will run 2 or 3 trains max. Ebay has tons of the MRC packs, but I'm still a bit lost on what the model numbers correspond to. Like I mentioned earlier, I've got a couple older Athearn BB locos that do not work with my current pack but they work fine at my LHS on theirs. 1400 seems like a good overall pack from what I've read, at this point I'm not running any lights on the layout, just the locos and 8 or 9 atlas snap switch motors. I know the older BB units take a bit more juice to get them up and running, so not sure what would work best. I think some of the MRC packs run in that 20 VA range.

What are the basic differences between the MRC packs? Options such as momentum, etc, rather than amperage output?
Thanks again!:D

Jason, if you plan on staying with DC I'd buy a pack a bit more powerful than what your present plans call for. Alternately buy 2 smaller power packs and use one for your manline and the other for switching. That is over simplifying it as far as block wiring etc, but that is another whole topic. MRC has add on walk around throttles that can be run off of a main pack if you decide to go with one single power pack. So you have a few options if you like. Most of us that ran or still run DC found out things have a way of growing beyond what you plan and at some point realize we should have bought a more powerful pack in the first place.

If you log onto Walthers web site and do a search for MRC you'll get a listing and specs for each of their packs as well as the listed retail price. http://www.walthers.com/

MRC must have a web site but I don't have a link for it to pass along to you.

I would stay with one of the older golden throttle packs. Espicaly running blue box Athearns, they can handle the amp draw those engines produce. I have run the newer plastic case tech 2 throttles and they tend to heat up more running the older Athearns. You can also look at the new MRC Tech 6 with the dual mode ablity if you have any engines with sound systems in them. We just put one on the shop layout, replacing a tech 2, that way we can demo sound engines easier. It has a 2amp power output as well. Shame MRC cant hit a home run with thier decoders like they did with the power supplies. Cheers Mike

Thanks again for the info. Looked up MRC packs on the Walthers website and it gives a small description of each.

My current pack has 17VDC, 20 VAC and a max output of 7 VA. What do these numbers mean? I'm assuming the VDC runs the loco and the VAC runs any accessories such as lights?

For older athearn BB locos would I need a pack with a much larger max output VA, such as the Tech 4 260 with 20 VA's?

Yes, you are correct with the VDC and VAC. The 7 VA stands for the amount of power the transformer can handle without overheating. The term VA stands for volt-amps (which is the same as watts), the formula for VA is: volts X amps = VA. Another thing to note is that when send current (amps) through a transformer, you will get a voltage drop, more current=larger voltage drop. With a larger VA rating on a transformer, you will get less of a voltage drop. I have a couple 7 VA transformers. I've also hooked up my amp meter and my athearn BB and got a reading of .55 amps (550 mA). The voltage went from 16 volts down to about 13 volts. So if you do the math 13V X .55A, you get 7.15 VA.

To answer your question, yes I would get a transformer with a larger VA rating, especially if you want to run more than one engine.

Posse,

My father and I were discussing the use of a B-mann trainset power supply to run a small electric motor for one of his projects, and I wasn't sure what the 7VA rating meant. I searched Google for the phrase "17VDC 7VA" and found this post at the top of the results list. I very much appreciate the fact that your answer to jasonelki was very simply written and easily understandable.

If I remember correctly, Volts times Amps = Watts (or as you have pointed out, VoltAmps). This means that Watts/Volts = Amps, right?

W/V=A
7/17=~.411
7/14= .5
7/12=~.583

So if I understand this right, and my math is accurate, I can run a half-amp at 14 volts or a little less at 17, a little more at 12?

Thanks for your time in answering my questions!

Michael, from DieCastoms!

Thanks for the responses! Ended up going with the MRC tech 4 260 and have been very happy with it. The momentum feature is neat but I'm just glad to have enough power to run all my engines now.:D

Back