Going to N scale ?

Chrιstιaη

Hello Happy Members !
because I will never be able to build a large H0 scale layout (mostly for the lack of space), I'm thinking about going to N scale. But I know absolutely nothing about N scale. So, is a good or a bad idea? All your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.

My question to the OP is will you be super detailing? I'm not a rivet counter but if it looks good from 2 feet away, close enough. Some of my rolling stock has missing sill steps. That doesn't bother me because I can't really see the difference . I know they should be there but from afar, it's fine. Most of what I have is pre owned. Changing couplers and wheelsets can be tricky but not hard with practice. Check out www.spookshow.net for reviews on locos and rolling stock. Ask plenty of questions.

Today I visited my favorite local hobby store to take a look at some N scale track, rolling stock and locos.
That stuff is really too small for my big fingers. :oops: :rolleyes: o_O
Seeing as your so close to Paris 🤣 take your managing Director there and sweet talk her into letting you have a permanent HO layout

I'm glad you got to go to a local hobby store and physical see the size difference. N scale works for me for more space. My twin 8 year boys have HO scale. It's easier for them to place it on the tracks. I do all the electrical stuff for them. They run DC for now. Unfortunately we don't have the space to set up permanent layouts yet. But they have fun playing on the hardwood floor. Watching them play is relaxing for me. Trying to raise the next generation of model railroaders.

As TwinBoysTrains said it depends on how much of a rivet counter you are. I switched to N-scale in 1969 and was happy until I started trying to detail cars/locos in 1982. Discovered I couldn't do a scale 3/4" hand rail without using spider webs. I abandon N and switched back to HO. Having said that, the detail on the N-scale has improved I would say almost an order of magnitude on today's models over those available back then.

Back