Getting Started--how?

Been doing more reading between finishing up house stuff. I'm kind of thinking maybe I should look at building a small switching layout or something that could be expanded on either side down the road. I'd like to be able to run the longer modern cars and the radius requirements for those seem to make building a "small" layout with a loop impossible so rather than build something with a loop that can never run them I'll just plan to add them later.

I'm kind of thinking of buying one of the Bachman DCC systems to start playing with since they are so cheap. I see a couple options to buy a locomotive and the system and the locomotives don't seem to be too bad.

I'm planning to go to my first train show in a couple weeks here.

Bachmann 'standard' locos are as you say... "not bad"... Spectrum is better, though still mixed. I just posted in another thread how the 2-8-0, 4-6-2 Pacific and 4-8-2 mountains are great, but some other ones (doodlebug, 44-ton switcher) are "not so much"... They're the Hyundai of model trains... Not every car is fantastic, and in the past some were really not good, but generally fine-running stuff that's a great value. Some will end up eventually buying a BMW and saying "Oh, NOW I get it!" But few disputethat Hyundai makes a perfectly fine automobile at tremendous value for what you get... The difference is you're likely to have more locos than cars. My view: Having a "Benz" or two in the garage is great, but I can buy a lot more if I throw a few Hyundais in...

Also I think you could do far worse than an "easyDCC" system from them to start. The digitrax zephyr and the NCE powercab are two other good starter systems, with a bit more expandability. I cannot say I recommend the MRC systems.

Do bear in mind the difference between ideal and workable as far as radii go: Many of the longer cars and locos WILL run on 18" (and even more on 22") track. They just look a bit ungainly doing so. Maybe better to start with something that will give you operating 'joy' at the cost of prototypical appearance while you wait?

Did a little looking at the Digitrax Zephyr or NCE Powercab and it looks like the savings of the essentially dead-end Bachmann system isn't worth it. Is stuff like that likely to be a good buy at a train show? Or is that something I should just order from someone with at least a virtual storefront for warranty reasons?

Maybe I could build some simple loops on either end of a switching layout to allow running trains in a loop but focus on the middle part. Something to think about.

When I see systems at train shows, they usually cost more than they do by internet order, actually (new, I mean). Generally I find "new" items at shows are pricey compared to online (or even discount retailers). Used stuff another story. You may find a used one at a train show for a good price, but that's definitely not reliable...

If you want new, various dcc-focused sites: tony's trains, litchfield station, etc. offer standard discounted prices that's about as good as you're going to get.

On ebay, the new ones typically go for about the same as from the online vendors. You can sometimes find used ones on ebay or in the 'for sale' section here at more savings. But that's used and you have to be willing to accept that.

MB Klein/Model Train Stuff http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/

They have been a real brick and mortar store for longer then I can remember. My Mom tells me my grand father was a customer too. They have always offered discounts and great service. I can not remember seeing anything sell for list price. I go in the store on a semi regular basis, for 40 years this year in fact!

I was just there this morning, in fact.

It's basically 'internet pricing' in the store as well. You have to ask if you don't see something, though. I lot of things they don't have out on the shelves all the time. My guess is their business is heavily online/mailorder at this point and the store's a glorified stock room for that...

The retail store is a small part of MB Klein now.

They started with mail order then adapted to the internet.

I am lucky to have them for a local hobby shop.

They have computers next to the NCE test track you can search for anything they have. You only see a fraction in the store. The store is a big improvement over the store front they had in Baltimore City. That place was small and completely packed at Christmas! They always had nice service, even when I bought a $2 hopper in the Christmas rush.

I ended up ordering an NCE Power Cab setup from Litchfield Station which just showed up. I've done a little bottom-of-the-barrel ebay shopping and picked up a new Bachmann GP40 with DCC and 2 cars for $37 and another few cars for another $17 so at least I'll have something to play around with that.

picked up a new Bachmann GP40 with DCC and 2 cars for $37 and another few cars for another $17 so at least I'll have something to play around with that

You got into it for very little money--great shopping! I noticed that a lot of prices on ebay really low right now.

I enjoyed the show on Saturday. I'm not sure how the size compares but I thought there was a decent selection of locomotives and rolling stock, some structure kits, and a scattering of other stuff. Very little track and based on what I saw I don't think I'd buy any used track. I spent some money and picked up a really nice Kato BNSF SD40-2 and Tsunami sound decoder, a Walthers Proto Auto Carrier (BIG car!) and a structure kit to build. Also picked up a number of flyers for future shows and a Walthers catalog so I've got lots to play with and read.

Friday I went to the library and picked up some books and some old issues of MRR. One had Pele Soeeborg's layout which is almost exactly the same size as the space I have available to me. I really like his track plan and how he was able to accomplish a number of different things in the space. Would it be crazy to copy that track plan for a first layout?

Heck no! If you like the plan and it fits your space with few modifications, go ahead and try it. If it works out for you, great, and if it doesn't, then there's some lessons learned for future layouts.

It's a darn good plan, and he's certainly an eminent modeler. If you like it, go for it... several folks have replicated the famous gorre & daphetid layout, e.g. Only advice I'd give is really look at its essence and be sure it's what you want. To me it's a layout designed to be really beautiful and be amenable to photography. The layout of someone that's into modeling more than operating. Nothing wrong with that, and my own layout probably leans that way too. It's certainly not a 'spaghetti' plan with as much track per sq. Ft. as possible! So copy it verbatim if it suits you, or adapt it a bit. You could do much, much worse than use it as your basis.

I wouldn't copy it verbatim, but rather copy the track plan and make changes to suit my interests. Mine would probably be based more in the Midwest for one.

The layout of someone that's into modeling more than operating.

Well, that, for me, tells me its not a terrible idea either since I think that's more what I'm interested in.

That's what is all about. I'm likely similar. Just can't get into cards and fast clocks and all that. I mostly like to watch the trains go through the scenery. Occasionally I have a friend over and "okay, now take the logging train down to the sawmill" is about as operational as we get....

We're rapidly moving along moving into a new house. I've been a pretty serious hobby woodworker for the last 14 years and am giving up that hobby since we moved from 10 acres with large pole barn to 1/3 with a shed. Doing remodeling has been a hobby over the years too, but this house we've paid a contractor to come in and make it ours so all but minor projects will likely be wrapped up this week so I need to start thinking about a hobby other than sitting in front of the computer or TV all evening.

I dabbled in model railroading when I was a teen so I know a little but not much other than that at least the "make" side of the hobby is attractive to me. I'm wondering the best way to get started? I have some fairly significant seed money to get started with, but don't want to jump in and just spend that with no plan. I've got a roughly half of a 21' by 21' area of clean, dry basement we plan to dedicate to hobbies and I can probably lay claim to at least half that.

I'm thinking HO as that's what I was familiar with before. Should I consider another scale?

Should I plan a layout and start building? Or build some kits and collect some rolling stock and locomotives first?

mattm, me, too! Get this, I:

- we went from having a 1,200 sq.ft. house on a concrete slab (w/ 0.25 acre) to a 3,200 sq.ft. house w/ full basement (on 0.5 acre).

- been a "hobby" woodworker for 25 yrs., with P/T restoration/(historical)renovation work exp. when avail.

- am finishing up converting our Ranch style into a Queen Anne Victorian (doing all the interior and exterior finishes myself after helping w/ the framing, etc.) so now I can think about getting a layout built

- sit in front of the PC all day (but I'm a freelance writer and architectural designer...so, I'm working...most of the time)

- dabbled with a (then) new Tyco Alco 430 Spirit of '76 train set (still have the loco packed away...I think)

- have a 20' x 20' space in which to work (but I'm thinking of putting the 'viewable' portion within a 10' x 20' area.

- am thinking HO; am open to N, though HO looks more manageable to me.

- am thinking of building a switching layout w/ the option of adding to it if this is something I want to give more time, effort, money

We're down to 4 boxes sitting in "my" area. We got all the shelving and work areas set up on the other side. There's a proposal being floated to actually wall off "my" area for a couple different reasons, one of which is to create more wall space. That would give me an 11' 2" x 21' 2" room. I could put the door anywhere on the one 21' 2" wall and the is no mechanical equipment, plumbing, poles, etc in that room! Because we have an extra deep basement I could also install a drop ceiling if desired. And since I have a work area outside that space, I could use the entire space for a layout.

I think think you will really like that Power Cab. I have one and it's great Are you planning to do an around the walls type layout? With the room you have available you could do quite a bit of modeling. My train room is about 10x10. I'm going to have a 2 foot wide 'shelf' along 3 wall and a 12" shelf along the 4th, with a drop down section in it because I'm getting too old to duck under the table like that!
Good luck and have fun!

With 11'2" of width you could also have a peninsular down the centre. It would allow a blob end if you want the main to be continuous, with track at 24" radius. So, say, room width 134". Blob end of 54" to allow for width of track and sufficient layout edge with train fall-off protection. That leaves 80" or 40" either side. Allow 24" inches either side for access and that leaves 16" of layout width on each wall at that point. Some juggling of the access and wall widths if you want wider access ways and should be no problem to achieve. Or you could increase the Blob's track radius and narrow the wall layout dimensions to allow longer cars on the track. Quite a few possibilities, if you want to make the blob off centre for visual interest then slim down on one wall and widen the other. Keep the neck of the peninsular to about 36" wide or less to gain more walking/standing room. To increase the radii of the tracks entering the peninsular from either side, have them cross over each other (one above the other is best) so one enters the peninsular from the opposite side and then leaves likewise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back