FORUM UPGRADES - COMPLETED (For real this time! I hope...)

Well, looks like as20055.net changed the routing from Seattle to Provo. Now goes through Palo Alto then to Salt Lake and we do not have the degraded stuff that was happening for the last what, 2 weeks between Yakima and Seattle. Google servers in Seattle now have no waits or other comboobulations. The google servers ...um... serve the Ads and such after your browser's page is loaded. No TLS handshake slow downs either. Bob will be happy. Of course, it is early in the am so fingers crossed.

Later

Well, looks like as20055.net changed the routing from Seattle to Provo. Now goes through Palo Alto then to Salt Lake and we do not have the degraded stuff that was happening for the last what, 2 weeks between Yakima and Seattle. Google servers in Seattle now have no waits or other comboobulations. The google servers ...um... serve the Ads and such after your browser's page is loaded. No TLS handshake slow downs either. Bob will be happy. Of course, it is early in the am so fingers crossed.

Later
You do realise now, that if the forum goes tits up again, you are going to get 100% of the blame for jinxing it, right. 🤣

Later

It is definitely working better so far, but it’s still morning. Also, the problems seemed to be mostly at Bluehost. One of the tracking tools does a ping once a minute. Doesn’t load anything, just grabs the html code. It shows a very distinct pattern of fast/slow, which often changes by the minute. It’s not the typical “ok, the place is busy, it’s running a bit slower” you’d normally expect. It’s either nice and fast or broken.

It is definitely working better so far, but it’s still morning. Also, the problems seemed to be mostly at Bluehost. One of the tracking tools does a ping once a minute. Doesn’t load anything, just grabs the html code. It shows a very distinct pattern of fast/slow, which often changes by the minute. It’s not the typical “ok, the place is busy, it’s running a bit slower” you’d normally expect. It’s either nice and fast or broken.
Bob: Where is the tracking tool hosted and what is it called?

Later

Pingdom. No idea where it’s located. However, they ping from around the world, using a VPN presumably. The results are consistent with that, with Japan and Australia always being slower. But when several pings in a row from different places fail or run very slow, you know there’s an issue.

Pingdoms results very accurately reflect what I’m seeing as well. Here’s overnight:

Ping time in MS, lower is better.
IMG_8002.jpeg

Hmmm, I would question that 1.123 second response. I am seeing 55mS to 61mS response over 4 pings to MRF a few seconds ago. Also, everything is under 65mS with traceroute over 19 hops from me to MRF. This is a good thing!

Later

What?
Hmmm, I would question that 1.123 second response. I am seeing 55mS to 61mS response over 4 pings to MRF a few seconds ago. Also, everything is under 65mS with traceroute over 19 hops from me to MRF. This is a good thing!

Later

Well, maybe that's the initial page load then, I'm really not sure, I only started using it yesterday.

I'm not as worried about the exact values, what I'm looking for is trends and wild variations. Yesterday it was bouncing all over. Now it's a nice steady trend and much lower than before. Also, most importantly of all, I'm looking for the red stripes that indicate it couldn't connect at all.

Back