First try at graffiti on autorack

NYSW F45

Finally got the cars and the paint markers and went to town. Took maybe 30 minutes to do it, not nearly done. Gotta do touch ups and add the color along the outside.
IMG00289-20110707-2122.jpg

The other letters will be started tomorrow after work. I have to carefully sand off the factor applied lettering in some areas, the white and black do dont stick properly when painted.

Looking good so far! Nice prototype shot to follow from. I have a couple of suggestions that might help give it that extra awesomeness. After all the graffiti is done, hit the car with a couple of washes to tone down the brightness of the car and graffiti. Then add the small touches of weathering, like the underside of the car (the bright yellow underside sticks out), around the ladders, and the thin streaks of rust coming down the panels. I've never tried anything on an autorack, and I'm impressed with what you've done.

Nice! You're modeling all 5 of the infamous "STEEL" cars?

I've always wanted to model this car I shot a number of years ago:
normal_ttgx985884_01.JPG

Looking good so far! Nice prototype shot to follow from. I have a couple of suggestions that might help give it that extra awesomeness. After all the graffiti is done, hit the car with a couple of washes to tone down the brightness of the car and graffiti. Then add the small touches of weathering, like the underside of the car (the bright yellow underside sticks out), around the ladders, and the thin streaks of rust coming down the panels. I've never tried anything on an autorack, and I'm impressed with what you've done.

All that will be done. This is far from done. I just picked up more paint markers from Joanne Fabrics so i'll be able to do the other colors.

Each car that has rust on the roofs will get it, streaks will be added to appropriate cars. Undersides will be dirtied up.

Only downside I have right now is all have plastic wheels since these were bought second hand. Do these take 28" or 33" wheels?

Josh, Yes I am modeling all 5 cars. I hope to have the basic lettering done tonight for all 5 and Josh, go for it on that model. Its not that hard. Plus I may add it to my mural to do list.

I have the Walthers Bi level autoracks. Out of the box, they don't even roll good, so I had to replace all the wheelsets. I replaced them with the Reboxx 33" axel length 1.025" all metal wheels. Now they roll beautifully.

Great job on the graffti, I might have to try that on some of mine.

Only downside I have right now is all have plastic wheels since these were bought second hand. Do these take 28" or 33" wheels?

Josh, Yes I am modeling all 5 cars. I hope to have the basic lettering done tonight for all 5 and Josh, go for it on that model. Its not that hard. Plus I may add it to my mural to do list.
Should roll fine on some 33" wheels, though some of the prototypes use 28", I'd err for the 33".

As for mine, I know it won't be too hard, the hardest part is replicating the see-through look of the panels, and the door toppers.

Plano etched panels for the side, and some scratch building for the tops of the doors. Then paint, and graffiti...

Here's an autorack I photographed locally back in 2003. Lots of work!

I like that one. I have one of those UP autoracks like that too.

Josh, I thought about taking whatever drill bit fits the holes and just going to town with my micro drill. But then i looked at the amount of holes and changed my mind LOL. Plano stuff looks like, but adds up quick.

Josh, I thought about taking whatever drill bit fits the holes and just going to town with my micro drill. But then i looked at the amount of holes and changed my mind LOL. Plano stuff looks like, but adds up quick.

Or, you could use a wash of black weathering powders mixed with Windex to fill in the holes. Windex wouldn't mess with the under lying paint and the excess could be wiped off with a damp paper towel after it has settled into the holes and dried. Something like this I've done with black weathering powders.

100_4896.jpg

awesome job f45.keep up the great work.i myself havent done a autotrack yet.

4lipg8.jpg

fxxen9.jpg

29ndnkm.jpg

2u5gn5g.jpg

heres some of my past works

Last edited by a moderator:
I cheated and used O scale decals on this one.
I did one up with gel pens that was a whole side, it was the "Hammer" autorack car that someone spent a lot of time doing up and then it went striaght to the scrapper.

Jerome, I love the look of the washes, but for me, no matter how much work I do to the Walthers cars, when I set them next to the Custom Rail cars I have, they look cheap. I do admit, some of the newer run gold line Walthers cars have better end doors, which corrects most of the problems, so I can live with the side panels on those...

Great work everyone.

awesome job f45.keep up the great work.i myself havent done a autotrack yet.

4lipg8.jpg

fxxen9.jpg

29ndnkm.jpg

2u5gn5g.jpg

heres some of my past works

Awesome work on those subway cars. While watching "coming to america" last night my wife asked me "were subway cars really like that with graffiti in the 80's?" I laughed and said oh yeah! Growing up in NYC and having family there i got to see that stuff on a regular basis.

All 5 cars are well 90% done. All need weathering to age them and some dullcoat to bring down the shine from the paint. Im working on another mural on an autorack.
IMG00291-20110709-1823.png

Doesn't seem to hard. Just need to see more of the left side of that car to see the reporting marks better.

Back