First Decoder install: #$@#!

AllenB

Okay...ordered an Athearn Genesis GP9 and ordered a Tsunami Soundtraxx decoder. The decoder said "plug and play format" in the description. Well to my surprise when I pulled it out of the package...it contains NO speaker and no wires to "plug and play. I thought this was a simple "plug and play" decoder needing nothing. Needless to say I'm none too happy. Is the industry standard of "plug and play" mean you have to solder the thing in and install your own speaker? Is there a decoder that is truly plug and play?

I did my first Soundtraxx Tsunami install just a couple weeks ago on an Athearn BB unit and it was pretty easy if you take your time and test all the wires first before soldering them. I bet it took me a total of half an hour and it was FUN!!!

Wow, i just checked the prices to see why you didnt buy one with dcc and sound allready installed. I can see why, i paid 150 bucks for a gennesis gp 15-1 with the tsunami about 6 months ago, now its 240 dollars.

Wow, i just checked the prices to see why you didnt buy one with dcc and sound allready installed. I can see why, i paid 150 bucks for a gennesis gp 15-1 with the tsunami about 6 months ago, now its 240 dollars.

Yeah...and now they are sold out everywhere.

You could have gone with that one, but the gn 1000 is the same decoder but in a board replacement/drop in format that is more compact. It must be soldered in (strongly recommended) or clipped in with the genesis board clips (small black attachments) which can slip off once the shell is back on. Installing the gn 1000 is not a big deal. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can easily show you how to do it with a soldering iron, flux, solder and your speaker(s).

You could have gone with that one, but the gn 1000 is the same decoder but in a board replacement/drop in format that is more compact. It must be soldered in (strongly recommended) or clipped in with the genesis board clips (small black attachments) which can slip off once the shell is back on. Installing the gn 1000 is not a big deal. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can easily show you how to do it with a soldering iron, flux, solder and your speaker(s).

Thanks BigB! This is the loco I ordered: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Athearn-Genesis-HO-EMD-GP9-NKP-p/ath-g62439.htm It is a DC loco...however when I open it up it looks like there IS a decoder in it. But it will not program on the programming track.
ATTACH]

The Athearn directions call this board a "DCC Adapter board". It says "pull off the dummy plug from the end of the 9 pin wire harness extending from the top of the Adapter Board. Then install the decoder of your choice onto the wire harness." It almost looks like the decoder I have would replace this adapter board but the Athearn instructions don't mention the removal of this board making it seem like the decoder goes on TOP of this board?!?

IF the decoder I did buy DOES replace this board,...it looks like those black clips would just clip onto the new board no?

The board on that loco is just a light board, not a decoder. I'm not very familiar with Athearn's way of doing things (I model in N scale) but it sounds like that is all you would need to do. Hence, "plug and play". Refer to the instructions for what plugs in where.

Allen,

You have two choices...
1. Use the drop-in/replacement gn 1000 by removing the light board you see in your picture (yes, thats just the lightboard) and replacing the lightboard with the gn 1000. I recommend strongly soldering the wires instead of just using the little black Athearn clips.
If your not comfortable doing this and hooking up the speakers, you can get any reputable hobby shop to do the install for you for probably $50-80. Or, you can try it yourself and with some preparation, do it completely by yourself. Is go this route, personally.

2. You can get a tsu 1000 version with the gp9 sounds and the 9 pin plug. Maybe whomever you bought your gn1000 will let you return/exchange it for one. Then remove the dummy plug on the 9 pin plug and plug it inoto the light board. Only problem with this is twofold.... Your potential rerurn issue and the tsu1000 version uses a lot of apace up, something that's in short supply in most locomotives, esp when your trying to put in sound.

Gotch Bob. I'll see if those black plug clips are secure enough on the new decoder...if not ill cut them off and solder them. Wish me luck! Thanks to all that replied.

Gotch Bob. I'll see if those black plug clips are secure enough on the new decoder...if not ill cut them off and solder them. Wish me luck! Thanks to all that replied.

They are a little hard sometimes to remove. Don't worry...your not going to break it, the wire, or the decoder. Get a small flat bladed screwdriver and work them off. Pull the wires off and then use the screwdriver to lever the lightboard off its clip mount. Then replace the gn 1000 in its place. Do a YouTube search. Plenty of great how to video help....

Good luck,

Brad

Luck! Especially since I do not see any place provided by the factory to put the speaker. Is the fuel tank milled out for it?

The weight at the rear is where the factory speaker is mounted. Ubscrew the weight and put an oval speaker there.

Update

Got the decoder and speaker soldered in. The speaker sounds awesome! In the process, practically destroyed the shell trying to tuck all the wires in. Obviously was not successful because the wires are now rubbing the motor and it sounds/runs like dog @%$!. That took me about an hour and a half to get to this point. There is NO room in a GP9 let me tell you. Needless to say...I will NEVER try and install a decoder again, at least not in a small diesel. It's simply not worth it. It's too bad I could not find a Genesis NKP with sound anywhere (all sold out).

Allen,

I can tell you firsthand, this hobby, like alot of things in life, is about trial and error. Unfortunately, it can be expensive and time consuming not to mention frustrating bc, well, your spending precious $ and time.

In an effort to tidy up your first install, I would first relax and enjoy it for a few hours of running. This will give you some time to reflect and recharge. If at that time you want to fix the shell/wire rub issue, you could tackle it then. I suggest some high quality scotch tape and/or some capton tape to help secure everything. Do a little YouTube surfing for sound installs. DIY sound installs are by far the most difficult decoder installs in DCC. Try a Plug N Play installation (non sound) (where you just take the shell or part of the shell off, remove the dummy plug and plug in either a 8 pin or 9 pin decoder and replace the shell) for a confidence booster next go around.

Dont be discouraged. DCC is alot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Brad

Allen,

I can tell you firsthand, this hobby, like alot of things in life, is about trial and error. Unfortunately, it can be expensive and time consuming not to mention frustrating bc, well, your spending precious $ and time.

In an effort to tidy up your first install, I would first relax and enjoy it for a few hours of running. This will give you some time to reflect and recharge. If at that time you want to fix the shell/wire rub issue, you could tackle it then. I suggest some high quality scotch tape and/or some capton tape to help secure everything. Do a little YouTube surfing for sound installs. DIY sound installs are by far the most difficult decoder installs in DCC. Try a Plug N Play installation (non sound) (where you just take the shell or part of the shell off, remove the dummy plug and plug in either a 8 pin or 9 pin decoder and replace the shell) for a confidence booster next go around.

Dont be discouraged. DCC is alot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Brad

Thanks Brad. Yup...have to definitely take a step back. The loco won't even run it's so bound up. The actual install and soldering wasn't too terribly bad, but putting it all back together seemed near impossible.

Any work that you do on your models is a trial and error basis. Join the crowd with the frustrations of it not going right the first time.
While reading of your trials, I reflect back when I was building decoders from a little bag full of mini resistors, capacitors and a micro chip. All the work had to be done under a magnifying glass and soldering iron was filed to a point for the small contact patches. The decoder had to be tested at several stages of completion. I did 15 of them this way. Fitting them into loco shells was the easy part.

Back