Finally moved house and got going on a new layout.

dgrafix

My new place is much bigger so no more trying to figure out a tight loop "shelf layout" I can actually expand into 250x120cm šŸ˜
Wasted no time getting the board built..

It's on lockable wheels too so can wheel it out to work on.
Now to go for a concept..... it's still going to be a HST dedicated layout.
I have some ideas of how I want it but I'll have a fiddle and see :)
Figured I would start a new thread in N because my last project died when I had to move at short notice :/

Update 2023-11-17
Have cleaned up and mostly finalised the layout plans i have been working on these last weeks and while only the top end of the "high speed loop" is decided, there are a few different options for the middle to where it goes outside the loop again over the viaduct.
Phaze 1 basic layout (oh and the orange line at the top should show it dissapearing into a tunnel just at the end of the straight. The scenery on right side will be liftable for recovery/cleaning etc..
layoutH-1.PNG

The train storage will be a shelf layout with a transparrent acrylic "dust" cover (Possibly a model rail shed). that my table can lock to. It is on lockable wheels so i can wheel the layout out to work on. This way i do not have to pack up the trains to work on it.
Anyone have any experience with detachable rail interfaces? It would be nice to just unlock and pull without disconnecting joiners.
It is kato unitrack so i was wondering if anyone has tried using small magnets? Or would they be bad for the train motor going over them?

layoutH-3.PNG

Phaze 2 the high speed bit (left side not totally sure about that long viaduct on left yet.. Or the middle bit as there are several options available.
All the curves on the blueline will be elevated curve unitrack.
layoutH-2.PNG

Update 2023-11-20
Managed to get a lot done at the weekend. Layed out the main loop and tested it with my chibi minions. My little steeple cab loco could easily pull 4 passenger carriages up the 2.0 gradient but struggles with more, unless I add my other trailing steepe cab to push, then it's no issue with 10.. but that's ok, is is a tiny steeple cab pocket line train. I was surprised it could even pull that. The 8-10 car shinkansen trains have no issue at all. Have also started working on the tunnels and removable top.
20231116_014513.jpg

Last edited:
Nice start. I'll follow your work with interest.
It all started with a shelf layout
Sad I had to pull it all apart again, but on the bright side, this is much better, and I can reuse many of the materials

Something Iā€™ve noticed while doing my N build is that Kato has something backwards.
Mainline switches are #4ā€™s and yards are #6ā€™s?
I also find it strange that two #4ā€™s give you the standard 33mm spacing of their double track and bridges but two #6ā€™s give you 49mm spacing which lines up with, well pretty much nothing?
Not complaining, just reporting.

ps: loving those tunnel portals!

Something Iā€™ve noticed while doing my N build is that Kato has something backwards.
I also find it strange that two #4ā€™s give you the standard 33mm spacing of their double track and bridges but two #6ā€™s give you 49mm spacing which lines up with, well pretty much nothing?

I read bad things about no4s and I boght one online 2nd hand (i am maybe not going to use it in this layout.. maybe in the rail yard), but it is one of those old No4s that are a bit unreliable. However the double Z no 4s back to back must be a new breed because i have passed my HSTs over them at 100% just fine, so maybe that has been resolved for these double ones. The X rail and the no6s have no problems at all and are smooth as silk to pass over.

I read bad things about no4s and I boght one online 2nd hand (i am maybe not going to use it in this layout.. maybe in the rail yard), but it is one of those old No4s that are a bit unreliable. However the double Z no 4s back to back must be a new breed because i have passed my HSTs over them at 100% just fine, so maybe that has been resolved for these double ones. The X rail and the no6s have no problems at all and are smooth as silk to pass over.
There are a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to make the #4s much more reliable and trouble free.

If you want to use no6s to interface into "double track spacing" then using an R245-15 peice directly from the no6 will give you the correct double spacing with a 64 or 62 (one or the other, can't remember off top of head) to compensate on the straight line.

I think with a dremmel you can cut a no6 so you can put them in a Z double track crossover, but would be nicer if they suppled the option like with the no 4

I guess they used no4s for the "Z" mainline crossovers as they take less space. Strangely The "X" rail is no 6 size points and they are really long.
Both of these constructions are smooth to pass over.

Yep 33 :) bought a load of this double track for my fast loop. With Kato double track though you have to watch the 315/285 Curves as many of their hst trains need 315 minimum for passing. So either use 2 single tracks and add a bit between them or go for the next size up.

Attachments

• 20231202_230451.jpg
    20231202_230451.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 21
Started laying my viaduct approach cutting. Saw an interesting prototype where the train rides in a concrete cutting before the same construction becomes a viaduct.. thought I would try it out. If it looks too wierd or i get funny looks i may remove the inside edge and just leave the back edge buried as i myself like the effect. Thoughts??

20231210_191236.jpg

20231210_193215.jpg

Some work done on the hillscape part of the layout too.
With and without "Recovery Mountain". Which i was able to salvage from my last layout.
20231210_191110.jpg
20231210_191144.jpg

Last edited:
Started laying my viaduct approach cutting. Saw an interesting prototype where the train rides in a concrete cutting before the same construction becomes a viaduct.. thought I would try it out. If it looks too wierd or i get funny looks i may remove the inside edge and just leave the back edge buried as i myself like the effect. Thoughts??

View attachment 177882
View attachment 177883

Some work done on the hillscape part of the layout too.
With and without "Recovery Mountain". Which i was able to salvage from my last layout.
View attachment 177884View attachment 177885
I like that idea, not one I've seen modelled before anywhere, looks very interesting tho'

Back