Finally, it's done!!!

funnelfan

This project actually went really quick for me, only a couple weeks of actual modeling (after several months of collecting the right parts). But I've long wanted a model of this particular locomotive, especially after photographing it a couple times this earlier year in action, and that provided plenty of incentive. Looking at photos of this locomotive from various years shows quite a number of detail changes, like three different horns. Even my prototype photos from May and August of this year show the recent addition of mirrors. I've modeled a mid 90's version of the WPRR 1801. I started with a Proto 2000 model of a late model GP9. I rebuilt both pilots and added plows and numerous other details. I traded fuel tanks with another modeler on this board (thanks again) to get the correct style. I used decals from numerous sets, but I'm still missing the black WPRR lettering above each numberboards, and will make my own custom decals when I can. The Microscale decal set was missing a few key items that I had to search high and low for. It's not 100% done yet in that I need to wire in a decoder, but I'm done with the modeling phase for now. Model Railroading is best when you got a good project going of a favorite prototype, as was the case here. I should have it switching out the mill on the club layout soon. The model is still a bit on the shiny side from the glosscoat.

Gorgeous. It's one my "one of these days" lists. Can you detail out what parts and such you needed?

Gorgeous. It's one my "one of these days" lists. Can you detail out what parts and such you needed?

Well off the top of my head.

Details West.
2 plows w/o doors
1 set of MU hose clusters (3 hose type)
1 Firecracker antenna
M3 Horn
MU Cable with double recepticle ends
1 set of SP SD9 light package (only a few parts used)

Details Associates
2 fuel tank gauges
speed recorder (modified to be more durable)
cut lever with brackets (late EMD stye)
Mars Style GyraLight for top light on each end
Pyle Late Style type twin sealed beam light for lower headlights on each end.
Nose vent for top of short hood
Cab arm rests
EMD early style MU cable stands

A-Line
Cab sunshades

MicroScale Decals
Willamette and Pacific diesels
SP Black Widow units
Frisco diesel units (for red "Danger 600 Volt" on long hood)
EMD diesel data for various things

I rebuilt both pilots using styrene as well.

Back