Finally Getting started building again.

Bidding on eBay... my local train store is pretty restricted. I was able to change the roundhead screws for flatheads on my turnout and that and bending the "hoses" brought real reliability to the little pike.

I priced Kadee wheelsets at my LHS and they were $8.00 more for a package of 12 than Intermountain for a 12 pack. I'd think the bag would be a good deal.
I don't like Kadee wheel sets, and have recently started using Intermountain. I buy Intermountain's in bulk (boxes of 100 or more) because they are cheaper that way. The museum requires cars to be visible to the signal system which usually means resistor wheel sets. The Intermountain take solder well when putting the resistors on them.

I should have mentioned the air hoses on KD couplers-I'm just so used to doing it when I install them that I don't even think about it any more.
I purchased the Kadee coupler plier for this job. Makes it much easier, but once again I don't use it often any more because the museum requires all the trip wires to be removed. So now the first job of installing Kadees on any car that will be used there is to cut that off.

My little 5x4 industrial "end" is now running well. Turnouts are reliable with the clunky Atlas above table machines which I will change soon. My next goal with this little area is to find and build a few appropriate industries and maybe a small railroad maintainence track. This area is meant to function as a end area hopefully I'll be integrating it into the large scheme of things in the near future. I'll have photo hosting soon and will post a few flicks.

When I started my layout over 25 years ago, the only decent metal replacement wheels available at the were Kadee. I had a raft of freight equipment kits, the majority being Athearn Blue Box kits. Many of them were undecorated that I custom painted for my own railroad.

As track was being laid, these kits were being assembled at the same time. I did have a dealership with Walthers so all of my equipment either had the wheel sets replaced with Kadee wheel sets or the entire strck replaced with sprung Kadee trucks. Kadee couplers were added to everything of course. Intermountain wheel sets were not available back then. As soon as Intermountain introduced their wheel sets, I like many others bought them. I was really liked them and usually keep them on hand even though I very seldom buy any more rolling stock. Looks like I have enough (yeah right) for the time being. With the completion of the last yard, I find that both yards can be crowded with freight cars, 20 some industries full of freight cars and still have enough to make up two trains held in hidden staging tracks.

Replacing plastic wheel sets with metal are probably one of the best investments for your rolling stock.

Back