Favourite station/depot?

Milwaukee Road 113

Milwaukee Road addict...
As the title say, which is your favourite station/depot?

Needless to say, this one, has a firm hold on the #1 spot on my list....

Screenshot_2014-12-06-04-33-20_zps2jhmerjv.png

Screenshot_2014-12-06-04-28-34_zpsobu6gkhw.png

Are we talking USA/North America or are we opening this to "the world"? But I guess my favorite might not be the "most beautiful" anyway... Hmm.

I would have loved to have seen this one in person; Penn Station, NY, NY
What were they thinking or smoking when they decided to tear that down?

new_york_old_penn_station.jpg

Here is another great one , Penn Station in Baltimore. Fortunately I found a picture taken before they put up a huge ugly, strange statue/art thing in front of it.

pennstation03-front.jpg

and another, Camden Station in Baltimore. Although it is no longer a train station it is great looking!

SportsLegendsMuseumCamdenYards.jpg

Are we talking USA/North America or are we opening this to "the world"? But I guess my favorite might not be the "most beautiful" anyway... Hmm.

Well, was thinking North America, as that where my main interest is regarding trains, but......let's take over the world! lol

Ok, last one; Union Station in Washington, DC
Last time I was there my oldest daughter was in the University of MD in 2003. The place was so clean you could eat off the floor, amazing!

Union-Station_2804.jpg

From my home town, Cincinnati Union Terminal. Now the Cincinnati Museum Center. (Amtrack does run service there.)UTCin.jpgunion_terminal_exterior.jpg

Well, was thinking North America, as that where my main interest is regarding trains, but......let's take over the world! lol
If we are talking the world then I really like the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai.
Chhatrapati-Shivaji-Termi-010.jpg

Then the smaller but equally pleasing Antwerp Central
9cb39f3a-5ebe-4d61-a1da-84eab41c9485-620x502.jpeg

For the USA I don't like the heavy arched government looking stations. Not even Penn Station NYC or the Penn 30th Street Station in Philly. They looked really good inside, but outside was/is..... well boring. I like the Milwaukee proposed in the original message of this thread much better. The tall clock towers really accent the fact that the Railroad Standard Time was what drove this country for 100 years. But I think someone has to throw a nod to the grand daddy of them all - St. Louis Union Station. Not only glorious to look at but the operation on an interlaced triple wye serving more different railroads than any other in the USA. My first model railroad club was in this building, and I lived across the street from it for my first year out of college.
Union-Station-St-Louis-MO-3-6-10-2.jpg

But then I really think my FAVORITE is the Santa Fe County Seat brick stations. They could be found in places like Stafford, Marion, Kingman, Sterling Kansas, Rocky Ford and Swink Colorado, And of course the unique stucco version that was in Kiowa Kansas.
Kiowa%20Station%20SE%20view%20small.JPG

Florence Kansas
FlorenceKS.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been in many foreign train stations but this one was very impressive in Budapest.

9442112.jpg

Suburban Station, Philadelphia, DL&W Station, Scranton, both in PA.

Internationally- Bergen, Norway.

I will have to agree with 113. We passed through this station on out trips from Montana to Chicago. For me it was a wake up call, here come the big city when we were eastbound and a sigh of relief when we were westbound.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The last time I saw it was in the spring of 1965 on a visit to Milwaukee while stationed at Great Lakes, IL. Shortly after, it was damaged by fire and torn down the following year. A beautiful building.

Back