Favorite Train movie

Well, im yet to see Unstoppable, but ill probably just buy then when its out on Itunes.

Anyways, you have to like to crash scene from "The Fugitive", other then that, ive havent seen a whole lot of train movies.

"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" cuz it's trains start to finish.

OK, so it's one train...and only at the very start and the very end. But how many movie trains have had a bigger impact?

Get it? 'Impact'?? Yea, it's really a car chase movie, but that Alco S1 makes a lasting impression on all who've seen the movie...and on that poor '69 Charger!

As far as 'actual' movies about a train, I'll go with Runaway Train even if it's got a lot of over acting by all the leading men. The consist is practically alive- what a presence! I've got it being replicated on my table right now in HO scale, purely for display (tho two of the four are working locos and two are dummies).

Would love to see it remade with fewer movie-fantasy changes to how trains actually work....a bigger budget, less hammy acting and more of that awful snow!

The Titfield Thunderbolt (1953) Ealing Studioes - British comedy film about a group of villagers trying to prevent British Railways from closing the fictional Titfield branch line.

JA

Polar Express. I have even made fan-theories of other engines in the fleet, diesel and electric power, and even freight operations (albeit with the engines rebadged).

One of my potential modelling projects is to make a stock HO Berk and detail it like the engine in the movie (embedded headlight, no numberboards, no class lights, no FWH, white tender lettering, no road number).

What, no Steven Segal fans here? Under Siege 2 anyone?

As hokey and unbelieveable the fights and rail action are, its still a fun watch.:D

I do have The Train,Von Ryans Express, and Runaway Train on DVD and all 3 are great Unstoppable I also have, but one that hasn't been mentioned is End of the Line
images

Again, prototypically far fetched, but a great way to polish off some popcorn and a tall bottle of pop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
I thought sure I saw a post on here or at least on the forum somewhere, where the guy said on the jacket of the, 'Emperor of The North', he had, it mentioned someone else singing the theme song, 'A Man & a Train', rather than Marty Robbins! I forget who he mentioned?

I just receiv0ed a DVD from Amazon and it certainly lists Marty Robbins as the singer!

Where I grew up, in the West end of the San Fernando Valley, Woodland Hills to be exact, there were a number of actors that lived in the area in fact the guy that lived across the way may have been one of the bit part players in Emperor of the North? I'm not sure if he was the bo who met an early fate in the beginning or not? I'll have to check into that.

I never met Lee Marvin or Ernest Borgnine but I was only about 15' away from Steve McQueen, a short while after the movie the Great Escape came out. I was riding the fire roads on a small motorcycle I had and he was ridding the exact same motorcycle he did in the Great Excape! I was to young to say much to him and he was talking with another guy who up riding too just North of Mullhulland Bvd. dirt at that time. Lots of memories growing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The General," an old Civil War flick starring Buster Keaton. Lots of amazing stunts (no computerized special effects in those days) on early American 4-4-0s. It's a silent movie but don't let that put you off. It shows up on Turner Classic Movies from time to time.

Some great train movies there so far folks... but by far the greatest short film about a railway of all time is "The Railrodder" starring Buster Keaton!
Of course this is coming from a die hard Fairmont fan. :)
Here's a youtube video of it that is actually clear enough to see full screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqqxyZeDXo
Let me know how you like it!

The Station Agent is definitely a good movie to see. Filmed on the NYSW right here in NJ.

Yep, that makes two of us. It's kind of a weird movie. Not really about trains, a little about people who like trains, but mostly about how three very different personalities can be friends when taken out of their standard element.

It seems to be going along quite interestingly and then just peters out toward the end. I still enjoy it, though. :cool: My favorite scene is when Joe takes Fin train chasing in his food truck down the dirt road. It's like Fin finally decides that these people aren't making fun of him, they're just bored out of their minds and nearly as kooky as he is. And he has a good time :D

Not their best movie, but probably the one they were most relaxed making because it was written with them in mind, "Tough Guys" with Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. I always laugh when I watch it and there is some nice footage of SP's restored Daylight.

My favorite Book/Move UNION PACIFIC! BTW: I'm trying to locate a couple of copies of the book for my son and I with no success. can some web guru help out?

Some great train movies there so far folks... but by far the greatest short film about a railway of all time is "The Railrodder" starring Buster Keaton!
Of course this is coming from a die hard Fairmont fan. :)
Here's a youtube video of it that is actually clear enough to see full screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqqxyZeDXo
Let me know how you like it!

Wow! That film takes me back to my childhood - before the maple leaf and the metric system. What a great film to see Canadian Railroad equipment. I think the last scene where Buster is at the Pacific Ocean is White Rock BC. My how things have change.

Back