Fast Tracks

It took me a few tries before I got a turnout that looked as good as in the video.

Buy all of the special tools they offer and stick with it. You'll be happy.

On my #8 Fast Tracks turnouts I can not get the switch points to lay against the stock rail.
The angle looks to be off by a few degrees.
I am using the frog - point filing jig which works great for the frogs.
I the videos it appears that the switch points should rest fully against the stock rails with not gap.
I double checked and checked again that I was using the points end of the file jig.

Any ideas on what could be wrong.

Dale

Are you putting too much or not enough radius on the point rails? Too much = heel closing, pointed end not closing. Not enough = point closing, heel not closing.

Thanks toot, I have watched that so much I can almost do one myself.
Was the bend in the rail what you were talking about?
That bend does not appear to have much to do with the switch point as far as I can tell.
The switch point rail is straight at the points.

Dale

You first file the inside rail foot edge away on the stock rails. Both of them. You cut your stock rails, place them, look for the notch place in the jig, knick the feet at the ends of the indicated notching space on the jig, and then go to a bench grinder and gently, with a determined death grip on the rail (!!!) kiss the inside foot to the stone until you have a 1.5" notch, or longer. The notch must leave a vertical flush face all the way down the web. Next, you file the point rail tip using the obvious technique. That much should be error-free and simple. Next, slowly put a bend into the rail until it sits in its appropriate slot in the jig. You must also place a tight V-notch at the thick end of the point rails and bend the guards to the proper angles. Check in the jig. If they sit well without wanting to spring out, you have them right.

By now your jig has all the PCB ties, notched in the middle, in place, stock rails with notches in place with the notches lined up as indicated on the jig. Solder the points rails, solder on your frog and frog rails, and you have a working turnout...provided you remembered to notch all the ties where they have to have notches.

Ok, you are getting there. 3.5 hours on your first turn-out isn't bad. This does shorten with experience.
I use a bench vise to hold the rail for filing. This allows two hands on the file and it keeps the rail from twisting.
I've also been able to use the PointForm tool to hold the stock rail to file in the notch then the vise to finish off the notch mainly to file the top-to-bottom angle.

One thing I found the hard way is to ensure the notch in the stock rail is long enough. On my first few turn-outs the point rail would hit the stock rail (toward the frog) where the notch stopped and didn't allow the point to fully close. Filing the notch longer on an assembled turn-out is difficult. This is when you don't use the StockAid tool.

I do recommend inserting the turn-out into some track and run a train on it to find any issues. These can then be corrected and you'll know what else to watch for when building your next turn-out.

I thought I would update this thread today.
I ended up going with all Fast Tracks track.

I found out what the problems were with my points at the stock rail joint.
I have built #4, #6 and #8 turnouts so far.

I like the way all of the turnouts work when finished.
If you take your time they run very smoothly.

I ordered some 2 curved jigs and a straight jig.
Radius from 20" to 30" in 2" increments.
I found 36" rail, 33 pieces at a good price and ordered 3 packages.

I really like making the track sections as I need them.

The down side, as has been noted in other post here, is the cost.

The jigs do not bother me, it is the cost of and the shipping of the parts you have to order from Fast Tracks to continue building.

I underestimated the number of cross ties I needed for the straight and curved track by a bunch.
I have reordered cross tie 3 times and still do not have what I need.

I have come up with an idea on how I can make flex track with the Fast Track jigs.
I have not tried it yet however I think it will work.

Building this layout so far has been a lot more interesting than the others I have started and never finished.

Back