Exactrail goes direct

35tac

Wayne B
I received an e-mail from a dealer BNM Hobbies that I had purchased from previously that Exactrail will no longer furnish dealer discounts effective May 1, 2012. Exactrail indicates that rising costs and there drive to furnish quality products has forced this move. I would bet that you will see more of this as the dollar continues to weaken. I think we are coming into another shakeout in the hobby. Surely reflects some complaints I have read about quality and detail going away and prices escalating. Probably a pushback on pricing by hobbyists along with rising cost. Get your orders in if you want to beat the deadline.
Wayne

No chance of an April Fool's joke? It'd be a cruel one, but its even worse for LHS's if it is true.

I received an e-mail from a dealer BNM Hobbies that I had purchased from previously that Exactrail will no longer furnish dealer discounts effective May 1, 2012. Exactrail indicates that rising costs and there drive to furnish quality products has forced this move. I would bet that you will see more of this as the dollar continues to weaken. I think we are coming into another shakeout in the hobby. Surely reflects some complaints I have read about quality and detail going away and prices escalating. Probably a pushback on pricing by hobbyists along with rising cost. Get your orders in if you want to beat the deadline.
Wayne

More probably a small company having difficulty making ends meet and thinks direct is the eway to go. Keep all the profit. We'll see if this helps or hurts. Most of their stuff I've seen was at the LHS. Cut them out of the loop and it might hurt more than help. Time will tell.

I was a Excatrail dealer and here is what I recieved in my email this morning.
I have talked to the powers to be at Excatrail and it is not a joke.

Important Update: ExactRail Dealer Network

As of May 1, 2012, ExactRail will no longer offer a dealer discount and will discontinue our dealer network. Hobby stores may continue to purchase ExactRail products from ExactRail.com at the standard consumer price.

Cost of production has increased considerably for ExactRail over the last two years. We have absorbed most of these increases through our margins. As we consider the sustainability of these trends, our conclusion is that the best solution to serve the consumer is through a more direct model. By serving our customers directly, we hope to be able to maintain lower prices.

Dealers will continue to receive a discount through the month of April. However, all outstanding credit balances need to be paid before we will ship any new orders and all new dealer orders placed must be paid for by credit card or by sending in a check before your order will ship. Orders placed in April, including any advanced purchases, will still receive the dealer discount.

Our decision to discontinue our dealer distribution network has come from much deliberation. We appreciate the dealer’s contribution to our industry; we feel that this decision is necessary so that ExactRail may contribute with them well into the future.

Sincerely,

The ExactRail Team

I have quite a few ExactRail cars and I like them.

But let me get this straight, I'm supposed to buy them online from them directly, without being able to see and touch the product before purchasing?

No thanks. I like to support my LHS.

I have no idea how they think this move will increase sales or profit margins.

Whatever they are smoking, it's probably sounds like "hack".

Whether this decision is short-sighted depends on how important you believe the LHS is to the hobby.

I think people will still buy even if they can't purchase at a discount from an internet retailer.

But will they buy, and will new blood be able to get into the hobby, without the ability to see product first hand and the advice and instruction dispensed by the LHS?

I know my LHS has lamented the fact that there are fewer and fewer products available to stock their shelves with due to decisions like this one.

It's hard to imagine that they will be around in 5 years if this trend continues.

<Snip> Hobby stores may continue to purchase ExactRail products from ExactRail.com at the standard consumer price.

Cost of production has increased considerably for ExactRail over the last two years. We have absorbed most of these increases through our margins. As we consider the sustainability of these trends, our conclusion is that the best solution to serve the consumer is through a more direct model. By serving our customers directly, we hope to be able to maintain lower prices.

Sincerely,

The ExactRail Team

Well that will take them out of the LHS market. No dealer can afford to stock inventory at full retail and re-sell against the manufacturer on the internet. These guys can't work for free. I'm a transition era modeler, and have no use for Exactrail products, but they are nice models. I hope they aren't cutting their own throat!

Let me put it this way. When I was at my LHS shopping for rolling stock, about 2 years ago. I would have never even known about them for it wasn't for me seeing them on the shelves, me looking at them. And of course advice from the LHS employees touting how great these models are.

I sure hope this is an isolated incident, and not others try to go this way.

Dealers will continue to receive a discount through the month of April. However, all outstanding credit balances need to be paid before we will ship any new orders and all new dealer orders placed must be paid for by credit card or by sending in a check before your order will ship.

This sounds to me like they are in finacial trouble.

Exactrail

I don't believe exactrail is in trouble. I think as smart business people they looked at there business model and made some key decisions based on facts they feel are correct. It may be that Exactrail decided that they dont want to be an Athearn and said that they are making a correction in their plan. Only time will tell but the internet is relentless in growth and Exactrail may have just made the best decision.
Wayne

This sounds to me like they are in finacial trouble.

I imagine their concern is getting paid. Some customers get around to paying for their purchase when they need to make another purchase. When they stop selling to the distributors receivables will begin to stretch out.

They'll probably alienate some of the people in this hobby who refuse to go on the internet or even own a computer.

Exactrail Direct

I imagine their concern is getting paid. Some customers get around to paying for their purchase when they need to make another purchase. When they stop selling to the distributors receivables will begin to stretch out.

It seems that Exactrail wasnt dealing with distributors, they were dealing direct with shops. I would think that there accounts recievable was stretched and they found that a poor position. They probably would be in worse shape if they dealt with a true distributors like Walthers or Horizon as that would cost them more margin. So they chose direct, cash or credit card. Margin becomes more solid and no demands from distributors. Direct is best when accounts recieveable is basically cash. Better move going direct when your payment requirements are cash or credit card. IMHO.
Wayne

It seems that Exactrail wasnt dealing with distributors, they were dealing direct with shops. I would think that there accounts recievable was stretched and they found that a poor position. They probably would be in worse shape if they dealt with a true distributors like Walthers or Horizon as that would cost them more margin. So they chose direct, cash or credit card. Margin becomes more solid and no demands from distributors. Direct is best when accounts recieveable is basically cash. Better move going direct when your payment requirements are cash or credit card. IMHO.
Wayne

Semantics I guess. I would consider the shops as distributors since shops are not the end users.

I picked up a wagontop with 20% discount off list and bundled it with some other stuff to save on shipping. I will be hard pressed to order direct, pay retail, and take a beating on shipping for 1 or 2 cars. If they offered a discount for several pieces I might consider direct or if it was an item I "had to have".

They pretty much take out all the Canadians as customers, why would they pay high shipping costs that will double the cost for them?

The writing has been writ large on every hobby wall for the past five or six years, but never more brightly illuminated than when the recession began four years ago. Some of the larger and more established importers like Horizon and Bachmann are pretty much continuing business as usual, but the smaller importers like Rapido, Exact, Broadway Limited, etc...they are struggling to pay bills while still retaining skilled and motivated staff willing to saddle through the tough times as well as the good. While there is still plenty of discretionary income these days, RC and iPads have taken up a big chunk of that.

Model railroadings is going through a permanent shrink, and this is just one of the shrinking phases. I don't mean it will shrink to nothing...far from it. But the squeeze is real, and the smaller players feel the pressure first. Hobby shops have been fading everywhere as oft-lamented by those who have spent years going to them. My own nearest is not a success train-wise, and the best one closed when the boss retired five years ago already. On-line competition is fierce, particularly when well-established etailers like trainworld and M. B. Klein are effectively running the show. Few can match their prices, and when they do manage it (in advertising), they snip a few extra threads off you in shipping.

As a parting comment, when has the HO hobby been better? Look at the quality of stuff available these days, even if you have to hold your nose and offer to buy early and sight-unseen? Okay, you may not find your 50' dreadnought for the Short & Windy Railway, but that can be had with some decals and a hunt for undecs.

Exact rail

Semantics I guess. I would consider the shops as distributors since shops are not the end users.

Not semantics, both the distributor Walthers and LHS require margin to operate. Exactrail funds both in that model. New model does away with LHS and Distributor (if Walthers for instance) giving more margin to Exactrail and taking the pressure off the operating margins of Exactrail allowing Exactrail to stay in business without accounts receivable burden. Good idea in some business models.
Thanks
Wayne

Back