Electronic problems

trailrider

First, the control dial on my MRC Tech 6 6.0 controller causes the track speed to jump around to various values. I can get one speed step increases by pressing the program button and decreases by pressing the input button, but it is very inconvenient to do so. May have to send it in for maintenance, which would leave me without control capability for my DCC locomotives. (I still have a separate DC power pack for most of my other locomotives. :(

An electronic grade crossing setup, run by infrared detectors, completely separate from the track power, has suddenly started turning on when a train interrupts the IR beam from one set of trackside sensors, but refuses to turn off when the train breaks one of the other sensor beams, the way it should. Have to try to troubleshoot that setup. :(

Bachman Climax had the middle truck seize up after just sitting on a siding without running for several weeks! Sent it in to Bachman a couple of weeks ago. Haven't heard anything from them! :(

Oh, well...

Happy Holidays to All!

The potentiometer probably has dirty contacts. As far as I know, it's not really a user-repairable part, so you'll probably have to get it taken care of by MRC.
The detector may simply have a broken wire, which should be an easy fix.
The Climax may have a piece of ballast stuck in a gear (doubtful), or more likely one of the gears has cracked, and now it won't turn.

Well, one thing great just happened! Got a call from a gentleman at Bachman. He will be installing three new trucks, with metal instead of plastic gears, test running the Climax loco, and returning it as soon as practically possible (given the holiday rush)!

The rest of the problems will have to wait until I have more time for troubleshooting.

Happy Holidays!

An electronic grade crossing setup, run by infrared detectors, completely separate from the track power, has suddenly started turning on when a train interrupts the IR beam from one set of trackside sensors, but refuses to turn off when the train breaks one of the other sensor beams, the way it should. Have to try to troubleshoot that setup.
Is this in one direction only or does the direction matter?

No, the direction doesn't matter...it is bi-directional...and worked until recently. I haven't had time to check under the layout and see if any wires are loose. One other possibility is one or more IR lights or detectors have burned out. Fortunately, I have spares. Just no time right now.

Happy Holidays!

Re: the grade crossing flasher problem. I got under the layout and checked the connections (actually just wiggled the wires), and lo and behold, it works! Bachman returned my 3-truck Climax, and it works like a charm! Very speedy service! They do charge a $45 service fee, but it is well worth it!
Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! and Happy Kwanza! to all!

The potentiometer probably has dirty contacts. As far as I know, it's not really a user-repairable part, so you'll probably have to get it taken care of by MRC.

Dirty Pot contacts has been a characteristic of Potentiometers for decades - normally associated with audio volume controls. I have found sweeping the control between its extreme positions 10 or 20 times can help reduce or cure the problem.

Ron

Back