Electrofrog or Insulfrog?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I'm working on a shelf switching layout right now - it is only DC, and was wondering. Do I want the electrofrog or the insulfrog (looking at Peco) for my turnouts and a track crossing?

I'd assume the difference is the electrofrog is all metal, and would give better conductivity over the frog themselves... however can possibly short out DCC. Insulfrogs are plastic, which can cause loco's to "hiccup", but is safer for DCC?

Is that about right? :eek:

Kyle

That is a great site for learning about turnouts and DCC, including wiring issues.

If you are ever going to go DCC, it is simpler, by far, to just get used to insulfrog turnouts. I have several types, including handlaid ones with fully isolated frogs, and they work for every single engine, diesel or steam, big or small, long or short, that I have...across four different manufacturers. Otherwise, you have to do more wiring to get the frog to conform to the route being taken. It's no biggie, to be sure...lots of guys do it as a matter of course. I just happen to have found/experienced that it can be very simple and effective as they come out of the package.

So, prepare for DCC since it is likely you'll get the bug some time, and be able to seamlessly transition to it by using insulfrog.

-Crandell

Last edited by a moderator:

Back