Ebay wonderment?

ctclibby

Anybody else have to go through this? Ordered 2 products from a major seller. Got one. Complained to the seller with no response. Complained to Ebay about not getting 2nd and that there was no contact from seller.

This is the response I got from eBay:

Hello Todd,

Thank you for reaching on us and I hope you're doing well. I am writing on you about the HD Smart Fire TV (203600467223). I’m sorry to hear there was an issue with your purchase. I understand that you only received one out of the two pieces you ordered. As a buyer myself, I know how important it is to receive your items without issues specially that you did your part as a buyer in paying for the item right away. Please worry no more since you have me now and I'll make sure that your eBay Money Back Guarantee protection is fully reinforced.

Before anything else, I would really love to express our commendation. We really commend and appreciate you for working things out with us. This really shows how responsible buyer you are. We'd really love to keep members like you here in eBay. We value you. Thank you so much!

No worries, I have activated your eBay Money Back Guarantee protection. This means that we'll let you have your full refund instead for this missing piece since your seller is not helping you out. For us to proceed in the issuance of your full refund, we need you to file an incident report with your local police or law enforcement agency to confirm that there is a problem. Filing an incident report is generally free of charge and easy to do.

The report should contain the following:

·Letterhead

·Reason the report was filed

·Date of report

·The value involved

·Signature of officer taking the report (for hard copy reports)

·Unique report ID (valid for online reports only, as a replacement for the signature)

Once you receive the incident report, please scan it or take a clear digital photograph of it.

You can upload it via this link:

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/mudcwf?deptName=USMemberResolution

The document uploader is easy to use and contains information on file types and sizes allowed. Please select the General information document type and add 1-412306330329 in the Comments section. This allows us to track your documents and respond more quickly. Once you upload your documents and hit Send, please wait for confirmation that everything was submitted.

Note that if the police can’t provide you with an incident report, we’ll also accept a police reference number. We’ll need the precinct location, phone number, and officer name to accompany this. You can send these details to us by simply replying to this email. Please don’t change the subject heading if you do so.

We placed this case on hold for 10 calendar days to give you time to file and send the report. We need to receive it by December 29, 2021. Once we receive and confirm the report, we’ll close the case in your favor and send you your full refund.

On cases like this, please bear in mind that we do have our eBay Money Back Guarantee Program to protect you for this claim and on your future transactions. To learn more of the protection we have for you, please visit the link below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your time and being so cooperative in resolving this. We look forward to working with you to resolve this case. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to take appropriate action on this claim. I am very privileged to be able to assist you today.

I wish you all the best! Stay healthy and safe.

Have a blessed day!

Kind regards,

Cyril C.

eBay Customer Representative

Holy crap what a runaround!
I gave up on Feebay a while ago as I’ve lost so much money and been burnt so many times.
I haven’t had much luck on Amazon either, a seller listed an item, shipped an inferior version of it, then changed the listing to show that item afterwards.
Amazon said it’s allowed!!!
Good luck with your case!

You know, I am seeing more and more misleading ads when I do a search for stuff. They show a picture of something and then in the description it is something else.

Here is my response to eBay - what do you think?

Hello Ebay:

Really? I have been an ebay member since circa 1996 and have NOT ever seen anything like this. Sure, it is unknown who is at fault with this: BestBuy or UPS? Either the 2nd TV went back to BestBuy as 'non-deliverable' or the TV went to one of our neighbors. If it went to a neighbor, they would have brought it to me or called. What gets me the most is that there has been no contact from BestBuy.

I live just outside the city limits of a small town in the County; Libby is located 90 miles from any population no matter which way you go. We do not have people that acquire stuff off of porches. Our house has a couple of hundred feet of driveway from the dead end road we live on and you have to look hard just to see the house. In fact, UPS drivers know me and where I live, placing packages inside our front porch. FedEx too. If for some reason a package can not be put on our porch, drivers know to deliver to our neighbor to the South - Brice Ford. Brice is a Montana State Patrol so I know that any packages are safe with him if the need arises.

Instead of bothering the Sheriff ( I don't live in the city/town ) with this, I just give BestBuy a negative for the lack of contact? I will then deal with my bank with this issue and request a refund for 1/2 the total. In any event, I will NEVER buy from BestBuy or go into their brick and mortar store again; along with telling everybody I come into contact with about my issue. I am a OTR truck driver and talk with *lots* of people all of the time all over the USofA; let alone the multiple forums that I participate with.

I still want that 2nd TV - what has BestBuy said -or- they are not responding to you too?

Todd Hackett

As a retired police officer I can tell you it is very unlikely that your sheriff's office will take a report on this even if you call them. They will most likely consider it a civil matter and not a criminal one. It is almost impossible for local law enforcement to deal with a complaint like this. I handled electronic crimes for my department and there were always lots of hoops to jump through to get anything accomplished.

Sounds like a nightmare. I buy items on eBay constantly and never had any problems you have described. Even when there was an issue (wrong item sent) I contacted eBay and the seller and it was quickly resolved.

I never buy large electrical stuff on either fleaBay or amazon, the two instances I've had with fleaBay, one item I returned and tracked it, second seller sent me wrong sized item, went to return it, seller never responded, got refund, and I still have the items to boot.

Well, eBay's Money Back Guarantee has become worthless marketing BS. A few months ago, I purchased 3 train-related items from a seller with high positives that never shipped or communicated. When the time passed eBay's estimated receipt date ... I got eBay involved using the I Never Received It link on the items. A day later I saw the items "magically" shipped. About 3 days after that I got 3 blank "postcards" in the mail postmarked from Las Vegas which at the time I just scratched my head because I don't know anyone who had gone to Vegas recently. Then I got a notice from eBay the items were delivered and case closed. Long story short ... seller in the meantime deactivated their account, eBay refused to do their Money Back Guarantee or reopen the case stating it showed the items were sent/delivered and the case was closed (ignored the photos I sent them of the postcards), Police said to file a report with USPS, my local USPS office took a report but nothing ever happened since there was no insurance on the items ... I ended up disputing it with my Credit Card issuer. Which I did get my money credited back. My Credit Card issuer did tell me this "postcard" scam is getting common on eBay and other Marketplace sites again. It was happening here and there for the last 5 years ... but exploded during the Pandemic. The majority of sellers I've dealt with are great ... now that I have a postal worker labor dispute going on in my area (the carriers want to permanently end Saturday Collection/Delivery citing "Work/Life Balance Issues" and there's a big fight over that), and mail is being handled rough out of spite ... the sellers are more than happy to pack things more secure. But just like everywhere else, there's bad apples. I miss the days of Local Hobby Shops ... all of my LHS are gone either due to retirement or Horizon Hobby deciding not to supply them anymore or just plain unable to compete with the Internet. The last one standing near me is 50 miles away ... it being open is always hit or miss since they don't have any sort of regular hours nor answer their phone.

Last edited:
From the stories I here about porch pirates, they follow the delivery trucks around and record where promising boxes are dropped off. So a concealed porch won't help much if the pirate is following the truck.
Real upstanding people, steal stuff off porches then sell it or throw it away if they have no use of it.

From the stories I here about porch pirates, they follow the delivery trucks around and record where promising boxes are dropped off. So a concealed porch won't help much if the pirate is following the truck.
Real upstanding people, steal stuff off porches then sell it or throw it away if they have no use of it.
I have talked with both UPS and FedEx about stealth followers. Around here, they call the sheriff noting vehicle color, type and additional markings along with number of occupants and a license number if possible. As a note, the UPS counter person and the FedEx driver I talked with could not remember the last time that happened. Sheriff is a friend and when I asked him, he looked at me funny - 'What' he said? One of the benefits of living 90 miles from everywhere I guess.

We are used to checking for stealth followers cuz of the high value loads we haul. Have only had to report one and that was 5 or 6 years ago when we were hauling for Werner as gun runners!

I wonder if we are going to hear from others about the same experience?
I have been an ebay customer since 2013 and can think of two instances where shady stuff took place.

In one case. The seller said new, unopened item. When it arrived, most of the parts were missing. Seller said, no returns. However, through the settlement procedure, I had to return it and got a refund. PITA.

In another instance, it was "out for delivery" however did not make it to my house, located 8 blocks from the post office. This one the usps somehow lost it. I called the post office, the lady obviously had knowledge of what happened, but would not tell me what happened. BAD outcome. Never got item. To be fair, I can't remember if ebay refunded or not.

Thirdly, I received a Bachman consolidated in the mail advertised as new. It was not. I got to keep it and got my money back. It led me to make one of my successful YouTube videos on rebuilding the model. That outcome, though not ideal, is acceptable.

I still buy on ebay, although very selectively.

As a seller, it to my last resort.

Dave LASM

I have been an eBay'r since pretty much the get go ( pre 1995 I think ) and this is the first time eBay has gone against their stated procedures; well at least with me. Heck, you could even eMail Perrier ... ( hmmm spelling - Pe Air ) with problems, concerns and even suggestions. That was then as eBay was not found yet by the masses. At that time your payment crossed in the mail with the product you ordered in most cases; took personal checks too. Paypal came about circa 2000 ( x.com ), then eBay bought them out awhile later. The masses brought thieves and others as you probably figured out by now.

Back