Ebay trick for winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

julienjj

Noodle is good
Why not share your tips&trick to win your auctions ?

here are mines :

Ebay Snipping :

Snipping is done via a software on your pc that monitor any auction and will place a bidin the last 2~3 second of the auction. It's realy easy and has a great win potential

First here :

On low priced items, when there is a lot of availability around the same price, placing an offer 1st is often a key to victory. because buyer will not was time rising the price when there is the same offered for the same price.

Fake (better for more pricey items) :

when struggling with another buyer around 1h30 from the end, stop bidding; he will think you dropped the ball and will pay less attention to the bidding, snipe it with around 17.50$ over his bid to take the win !

I'm not giving away my secrets.There's about 5 topics right now in the archives of this forum about EBay secrets & they tend to get out of hand sometimes & the moderators have to block them. People get downright hostile when it comes to EBay bidding. Just go into the search at the top of this page & see what I mean. No disrespect against you or anyone else. BTW, I won 5 items just today that I got w/my secret. LOL

A. It's sniping, not snipping. Snipping's done with scissors.

B. Sniping cheats legitimate bidders. Don't do it. Take your chances like everyone else. You may not always win but you will be more respected. It's hard to respect someone who sits and waits til the last second (because perhaps they can, or they have a program which will do it for them) and then wins after you've done it the right way by making proper bids.

I'm not giving away my secrets.There's about 5 topics right now in the archives of this forum about EBay secrets & they tend to get out of hand sometimes & the moderators have to block them. People get downright hostile when it comes to EBay bidding. Just go into the search at the top of this page & see what I mean. No disrespect against you or anyone else. BTW, I won 5 items just today that I got w/my secret. LOL

I dont understand about what they get mad:confused: about bid or the technique to do it ?

Uh-oh. You guys are gonna get another thread locked!

This comes up on a regular basis. Buying on e-Bay is a crap shoot. Many bidders think they have a system that works well for them. And they're probably right, if their systems satisfies their needs. The same system might not work for someone else.

I use a mix of early bidding, late bidding, sniping or a combination of all three. I get satisfactory results with all three methods and I'm happy doing it that way.

If you have a method that you think works best, keep using it. I've found it's unlikely that you'll convert anyone over to your method. I like what I do and you should keep doing what makes you happy.

As for sniping, there's nothing illegal or immoral about it. It's a tool, just the same as e-Bay's own proxy bid. The difference between sniping and proxy bidding is that with sniping, no one knows you're even interested in an item until the very end.

Just my 2 cents worth. Happy bidding!

Darrell, quiet...for now

Just for the information, i discovered that there is now an iphone app for ebay ! its allows you to place a bid anytime, anywhere, kinda like sniping ....

If I loose on a bid, i'll contact the seller and ask if he or she has another one and they usually sell me another of the same item for the same price that was won with or i'd pay a little more for it, but it depends on the seller if it's a retailer.

Seems like a whole 'nuther cult or world on that site. I spend enough time on forums, so I won't be checking auctions any time soon.

But what struck me as odd was the figure of $17.50. If I have been successful at all my strategies, and have come to the last 10 seconds, and I have the highest bid, and my last bid was $20, why would I effectively double my costs by outbidding myself to get an item I was going to only pay $20 for 10 seconds ago?

And if that figure is a best-bets figure because my also-silent competitor is going to bid in those same last few seconds, how does it work? Will he only bid, say....$10 more? Maybe $15 more, possibly $17.48 more? Or if he wants it as much as I do and wants to outbid me to the same extent that I am willing to almost double my costs, and he has the same strategies, won't he bid $20? Maybe he knows me by my online behaviour, and will bid $25.

What's going on? There must be a minimum bid increase? What?

-Crandell

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but... what a pointless thread...

I agree Josh. Everyone has their own system for bidding, that is if they do buy on e-bay, and they can't understand or even believe that other "systems" work when the other technique doesn't involve sniping or other last minute gyrations.

We need to just block out the word """EBAY""" in "New Threads".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what's crazy about having a conversation on the internet about ebay? I know I'm new here but 'uhoh someone said ebay let's stop them from talking about' sounds a little over the top.

There's nothing against ebay rules about sniping. According to the ebay glossary under "S":

Sniping
Placing a bid in the closing minutes or seconds of an auction-style listing. Any bid, placed before the listing ends, is allowed on eBay. To protect yourself from being outbid at the last moment, enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for an item up front, and eBay will bid automatically for you, making sure you're the high bidder until your maximum is reached. This system is sometimes called proxy bidding.​

Anyone who doesn't like being outbid should simply "enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for an item up front" and you can rest assured you bid what you were willing to spend. If you win, great; if not, and you're disappointed you didn't bid just a bit more to win the item, then next time "enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for an item up front." Simple.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I wouldn't subject myself to paying higher prices by incrementally ratcheting up an auction's price over time. And certainly not to attain some level of respect. In the rare cases I actually decide to buy something on ebay, I snipe and snipe only. Even then I don't win every time. But when I stopped babysitting auctions and keeping myself the high bidder throughout, I started paying considerably less to win.

B. Sniping cheats legitimate bidders. Don't do it. Take your chances like everyone else. You may not always win but you will be more respected. It's hard to respect someone who sits and waits til the last second (because perhaps they can, or they have a program which will do it for them) and then wins after you've done it the right way by making proper bids.

Whoo! I've never participated in previous eBay threads that are supposedly gotten out of hand, but I can see by the above post why they might have.

I am officially flabbegasted! And it's not very often that my flabber gets gasted! What a lot of outrageous drivel! I just cannot believe that someone would actually believe there are "legitimate bidders".

"Be more respected"? Come on!

EBay as ONE RULE - The highest bid WINS! Simple as that. No matter if you follow an auction daily/hourly for the full seven days and make bids along the way. Bidding early and often usually just serves to up the price unnecessarily, makes others of like mind do the same.

And "then wins after you've done it the right way by making proper bids." What are "proper bids"? What is the "right way"? You bid, another person bids, you bid again, he bids again? Just pushes the price up like I said.

I don't buy model railroad stuff on eBay, have sold some stuff in the past. I've been on eBay since 1999, and have a feedback rating of 431 so I must be doing something right.

In the past while I've been bidding on auctions for older film cameras like I used to have 30 or so years ago. Mostly as collectible items. If I don't win an auction, there are always others with the same item coming up. I sit and wait for an auction with a low starting price and only get serious about it within a few minutes of it ending. I open a second window and place my bid, waiting to confirm it in the last few seconds of the auction.

Some times I win, sometimes others with higher proxy bids win. One auction I followed recently was a little over $30.00, I bid $35.00 near the end but was outbid by someone who obviously wanted the item more than me as his proxy bid won at $89.00! I won another auction for the same item the next day for $12.99!

So am I and others who smartly wait until the end to place our MAXIMUM bid at fault? Or are those who chip away at an auction with multiple bids over and over to either win or lose? I place one bid and win or lose. The highest bid wins. Period.

EBay is not some "gentlemens' club" whereby one places a bid then patiently waits until someone else does too, then make another higher one. Place a bid in the highest amount you are willing to pay and let it ride. The same thing will come up again!

Last edited by a moderator:
ebay?!!! winning on ebay?!!! AHA!!!

i promise i'm not saying anything this time :rolleyes:

must. to. ... no! i can't!

there is nothing wrong with sniping. if there are means and tools to accomplish the task easier, why not use them? or more precisely if one doesn't want to use them its a personal choice, this should not be projected on others.

there, i'm feeling better laready, lol

just place a bid with the max amount you would be willing to pay or lose!!!

we all know a X-brand loco will sell for $50- 60 bucks then bid $75
good chance you will win. i do N scale katos the max i will pay is $XX.
that's how i won all my NS loco's

We just had a three page long discussion about this topic at http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15432. It's not that it's a "forbidden" topic, but everyone had their say, and we were spending a lot of time plowing the same ground. People all have their own ideas about bidding and how to do (or not) do it. We aren't going to change anyone's mind aboutg anything, so the thread becomes pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back