EBay Shopping

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I have some items on Ebay and I just checked the web-site and I'm not too happy that the items have three bids are for the fraction of the original cost of the items. But, I did look at some other pieces of rolling stock and the bidding is just crazy!!! I saw two nice, used box cars with bids that are $20 over normal retail and then you have add in the cost of shipping. Is it completely possible that some bidders are not aware of what the actual retail prices are for these items?

I know I've bid high on hard to obtain items, but what I've been observing is not making much sense to me.

What are you feeling about the bidding of items on EBay?

Thanks.

Greg

One other thing to remember is with eBay you put in your max bid, but it only goes up when someone bids against you. At least it used to. I haven't been on eBay for 6 years now, after a dispute with a seller who said they didn't receive a return, even though the tracking said the package was delivered. eBay said "Sorry, if the seller says they didn't receive it, they didn't receive it." I closed my account that day and haven't been back.

Greg I hear ya!
There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason behind some of the bidding these days!
I’ve seen some expensive stuff go dirt cheap (no reserve price) and some cheap crap go for outrageous amounts, likely due to a bidding war. (queue the seagulls from finding Nemo)
I have stuff to list that I’ve been putting off but I’ll post them here first when the time comes.
Good luck with your auctions!

Last edited:
Kevin I’ve heard that from a lot of people!
I've been avoiding Feebay for that reason, ok that and a lot of sellers make shipping to Canada sound impossible and too much hassle, even tho they’re at the post office anyway! LOL

The only things I buy on eBay are new items that are either not available or a lot more expensive elsewhere. I buy few hobby related items there, though.

The last time I put up something for auction, I followed ebay's advice and started at .99c. That's all I got. I haven't put anything up for a long time, but when I have, state a BIN, price it fairly, with 'make an offer' and see what happen's. What you have to accept with any selling, is that it's like fishing. Bait your hook so it looks appealing and hope that the big one comes along. When buying, I much prefer the BIN's also. While the tension and "thrill" of bidding and winning can be exhilarating, the last 10 seconds can be bad for the heart.

If you are selling on Ebay set a reserve price. this way if they don't meet your reserve price it's a no sell. Then you want lose money on what you are selling on there. I have won some items on ebay for way less than what they sell for new. and I have seen a lot of things sell for way more than what they are worth. But the one that gets me is the shipping prices on some items. 40.00 bucks to ship a locomotive in the US come on now lets be real here.

I do buy and sell stuff on Ebay. I seem to have a difficult time getting much money for the stuff I have for sale and would love to have someone pay me $20.00 more than I paid for it. However, I am finding items like metal wheel sets; or, Kadee couplers selling for somewhat less "Buy it Now" sales than M.B. Klein has them for sale and the shipping is always far better than any of the retailers, like M.B. Klein, Walthers, Micro-Mark, etc. If a model has been on my layout and was in-use, it will be nicely weathered, have Kadee couplers and metal wheel sets and weigh per NMRA recommended practices; so, should be worth a little more than models that are not. Because I know that I can't get what they are worth, I will replace the metal wheel sets with plastic ones, so at least I can recover that cost!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done quite a bit of both buying and selling. I have had two bad experiences - one, I bought a piece of junk (wasn't worth paying the shipping back) - two, someone hacked my PP account and stole 500.00. I stayed away for years after that - finally went back with better security on PP.
I get turned off very quick with the silly shipping cost(be realistic or I turn off) - even from places like Micro Mark, Walthers, and others. Not going to pay $7-9.00 when an item could be placed in a 50 cent letter. I miss the old days when Parcel Post was around.

Sherrel you brought up a good point, I've been charged seven bucks to mail decals!
And don’t get me started on the Global Shipping thing.
I had something sent from two hours south of here that first went to Kentucky, then Chicago, then Toronto, then Winnipeg and had duty and fees added when none were due. So much for reducing carbon.

I pulled my stuff off of eBay and sell it on my kit website. (Link in my profile, I don't want to break rules.) I was doing end-of-year for the business and received something like 65 charges for about a dozen actual sales. Most of what actually sold was one bid. For me the sales volume isn't there to justify those charges.

I guess I am pretty stupid, but I can't locate a "link"?
You have to look under the heading ‘about’
FDEC325D-37E6-4E7D-A271-0CB1A9FE32F3.jpeg

I had something sent from two hours south of here that first went to Kentucky, then Chicago, then Toronto, then Winnipeg and had duty and fees added when none were due. So much for reducing carbon.
I bought an item that was in Chico, California.
Here is the tracking info: (You need to start at the bottom. PS: Salt Lake City is almost directly west of Lincoln, Ne. on I-80!)

Lincoln, NE, United States 09/26/2018 10:51 P.M. Arrival Scan
Omaha, NE, United States 09/26/2018 9:49 P.M. Departure Scan
Earth City, MO, United States 09/26/2018 6:24 A.M. Departure Scan
Earth City, MO, United States 09/25/2018 12:15 P.M. Arrival Scan
Jackson, MS, United States 09/25/2018 3:30 A.M. Departure Scan
Jackson, MS, United States 09/24/2018 1:58 P.M. Arrival Scan
Ft Worth, TX, United States 09/24/2018 6:13 A.M. Departure Scan
Ft Worth, TX, United States 09/23/2018 11:52 P.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, TX, United States 09/23/2018 9:20 P.M. Departure Scan
Vernon, TX, United States 09/21/2018 7:05 P.M. Arrival Scan
Commerce City, CO, United States 09/21/2018 7:03 A.M. Departure Scan
Commerce City, CO, United States 09/20/2018 11:34 P.M. Arrival Scan