Easy buss wiring

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I have been wiring my layout for some time now.

I found some connectors that I have found very easy and simple to use.

I found them on E-Bay.
100 count bags.

Each takes 2 connection connectors.
1 goes to the buss wire and the other goes on the feeder wire.
These are connected together with a flat spade connection.

Below is the E-Bay links I used.

[FONT=&quot]Female T-Taps 3M Scotchlok 952 Blue 18-14 AWG Pack Of 100 IDC 952K Terminals $7.00

3M MALE FULLY INSULATED QUICK DISCONNECT TERMINAL NYLON.25"RED 22-18G#3M403100PK $11.00

I have used over 200 of these so far.
Easy to connect and easy to disconnect.

BTW, the spade connectors can be found cheaper.
The are not 3M. 3M is easier to connect to the T-Tap connector and easier to get apart.

[/FONT]

Connectors like this are generically called "suitcase" connectors. People have been trying them for a few decades now with various degrees of success. My former club found them to be unreliable and a pain during maintenance, but then we were continually re-working the wiring. I would assume the closer one is to "put it in and leave it", the better they will be.

some one mentioned them on this thread:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?38797-How-to-connect-feeders-to-bus
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...referred-connectors-from-buss-to-feeder-wires

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the suitcase connectors on my layout and they have performed well over the years. One word of caution....they are available in different sizes for different wire gauges. Be certain that you use the correct suitcase connector for your wire size. The connectors are color coded.

Big box stores should stock them in the electrical department.

Thanks.

Greg

These are not the "suitcase connectors".
The suitcase connectors do not need the spade connector.

These are "T" - Tap connectors.
A very different animal.

They are still in the suitcase class of connectors as they attach to the main in the same fashion. Just sayin. IMHO this type of connectors work best on solid wire mains as stranded will compress and will eventually make a lose connection.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Back