Draw-bar question?

BIG-D

hey all i was just thinking and i have 2 budd rdc's that i run together one powered one dummy and i was thinking about permanantly connecting the pair any thoughts?
thanks,Dyaln

I think the biggest question is, why? Do they tend to come apart, or do you want to put the couplers on something else? If you really wanted to, you could cut some sheet metal or styrene into a drawbar, drill holes in the ends, then put it into the coupler pockets where the couplers were. Or, for that matter, just glue the couplers together. But you may have a problem later if you need to pick up the units. Unless you're very careful, there will be a lot of strain on the drawbar or glued couplers, which could easily bend or break.

Could be done but I don't see any advantage in it.
I'd go with dummy couplers first but if you were using both for power pickup and had wires running between cars then drawbars might be called for...

I don't see why you'd need dummy couplers when regular couplers work just fine.

As for a drawbar, State Tool and Die makes a drawbar strips in which you cut them to the length for your prototype.

Could be done but I don't see any advantage in it.
I'd go with dummy couplers first but if you were using both for power pickup and had wires running between cars then drawbars might be called for...

I was actually going to ask about this in a new thread - might as well do it here.

I have an old A-B-B-A set F7s that I'd like to run with draw bars and "MU" cables for shared power pickup and general reliability improvement. Is this a common practice for anyone, or suggested practice, or something I should just avoid altogether? I'll only be running them on a large club layout where we run grouped power for reliability and I see break-aparts and jerky power occasionally and think surely it would be better if they were truly acting together, rather than acting solo in the same task.
________
1Delicious_Pussy

Last edited by a moderator:
The really is no reason why you BigD or you LoudMusic couldn't use drawbars in these situations. In fact, when I owned a lot of di-e-sels in the past, any powered loco that had a dummy in the consist, also had drawbars between the powered and the dummy units.

LoudMusic, (wish you guys would put some names in there), The only problem I can see with what you want to do is in transporting the units to and from the club. Handling 4 locos connected by drawbars can be very awkward. I would drawbar the first two locos together, the A-B, coupler on the end of the B. The on the second set, another coupler on the end of the B, with a drawbar connecting it to the last A.

This makes them easier to handle during transport, and only one "MU" cable plug would be needed.

The really is no reason why you BigD or you LoudMusic couldn't use drawbars in these situations. In fact, when I owned a lot of di-e-sels in the past, any powered loco that had a dummy in the consist, also had drawbars between the powered and the dummy units.

LoudMusic, (wish you guys would put some names in there), The only problem I can see with what you want to do is in transporting the units to and from the club. Handling 4 locos connected by drawbars can be very awkward. I would drawbar the first two locos together, the A-B, coupler on the end of the B. The on the second set, another coupler on the end of the B, with a drawbar connecting it to the last A.

This makes them easier to handle during transport, and only one "MU" cable plug would be needed.

I thought about that as well - just make two A-B sets and couple them. Thanks for the suggestions!
________
Wendie 99

QUOTING RICO : "using both for power pickup and had wires running between cars then drawbars might be called for..."

That works great!
I used to tie Athearn A & B units together with feeder wires and a brass drawbar. They NEVER stalled or slack-lurched on dirty track with all those wheels connected in common! Big hassle getting them on of off the track without stressing the drawbar though. I had to roll them over on a cloth-lined carrier.

Here's an idea. Use the State Tool and Die drawbars as they are plastic. Cut some sheet brass to the shape of the drawbars and put one on top, one on the bottom. Then, wire one side pickup to the top, the other to the bottom for both locos, paint the drawbar, and you won't have any dangling wires.

Hey that'd be good concealment.

As for transporting them, just leave them on the rails! :) Or get one of those carrier boxes that sets down on the rails. They make long ones for large steam locos that should be big enough for at least a three unit diesel.
________
Ipad cases

Here's an idea. Use the State Tool and Die drawbars as they are plastic. Cut some sheet brass to the shape of the drawbars and put one on top, one on the bottom. Then, wire one side pickup to the top, the other to the bottom for both locos, paint the drawbar, and you won't have any dangling wires.

Whoa... awesome thought there, good one!

Back