Dodged a Bullet?

elsner203

Hoping someone could help me out with this....

Looks to me like nearly every auction for both working/non-working locos actually get bids. Somehow this one fell through the cracks. I thought the price was right, but something told me not to bid since I saw it with about 9 hrs left and nobody had touched it yet.

Was there something I missed? Anyone have a clue why this eBay item was ignored? Did I dodge a bullet by not bidding?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231016649084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks.

I think you dodged a bullet. I never had a Bachmann Plus F unit run well, or at all, for very long.

I think the shipping is high, but that doesn't bother me so much. Pretty sure it's N scale, but not 100% since there is no frame of reference. Good to know about the Plus F's. I'll have to remember that.

I might give half that amount for both if I had a use for them. They are N scale, notice the Rapido couplers. The shipping is WAY out of line! To top it off notice the terms of shipping

Delivery:

Estimated within 6-15 business days This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 5 business days.

I've never had to wait longer than five days, start to finish, for any N scale items I've bought off Ebay and some only charged $2.70 for shipping. I'd stay away from this one, if for no other reason than the shipping rip off.

Sounds good, everyone. Thanks! I noticed the rapido couplers, but I'm stuck with them on all my locos and cars until I can upgrade. Budget is just too tight for that now. Doesn't seem to be any inexpensive way to go about it and there are so many kinds, I'd probably get the wrong ones!

There used to be a common practice of charging high postage as a means of bolstering the seller's return (which denied ebay/paypal their final price fees) but ebay had stomped on the practice, some still manage to get away with it.

I wonder if someone bid by mistake on that one and they are currently sitting at their computer watching the listing nervousl in hope someone else puts in a bid to save them?

Maybe they desperately want it 'cause there may not be another along for a long time. Welcome to the future of limited run modelling.

You never know what someone will want if the price is right.........I'm watching for an old Bachmann steam loco with the slope back tender......all I want is the tender, for a project. You can buy NEW tenders, but the price is usually twice what you can find an old loco/tender for. Sometimes people are looking for parts.

And no bids isn't neccessarily a factor........I just picked up an AB set of E8's in Milwaukee Road (UP paint) that were like you described......only a few hours left and no bids. I've looked at a set that my dealer has (for $179.98) and so I threw the "starting bid" of $49.95 on them and walked out the door (we were on vacation). I didn't figure the bid would hold, based on the dealer price and the fact these are out of production, but got back to the motel and no one else bid on them. They look and run great and are a step up from the older LL locos I was using before.

The art of selling, bait your hook (tasty product), sling it in the water (market), hope a big fish (buyer) bites.

The only things that I really see wrong with this listing is that 1. There is only one photo. 2. There isn't much of a description. That detracts me. I didn't look at the seller's profile and selling history. If there are some bad write ups that might be the issue as well.

If there is something about an E-bay listing that makes me nervous, I don't bid. Another one with, either better pics, better description, honest shipping costs etc, will always come up. It may take some time, but another will always come back up.

Back