Do NOT rely on eBay FeedBack being HONEST!

Yet ANOTHER buyer's NEG FB bites the dust. Just for the heck of it, I checked his FB, rockheadm1947, and he also got the Neg FB on a BN loco that ("Not tested as described, broken front
truck/wheels..smoked w/ power to it..JUNK"
)
did not run as claimed either, removed. This seller is no dummy, he seems to be an experienced con artist and KNOWS how to play eBay scams.

I got curious & started watching this A-hole after I got conned. yesterday I started making copies of his unfavorable FBs complete with links. While I take no joy or pleasure at people being scammed, it is as interesting as any soap opera to watch his NEG FBs vanish, (after reading other buyers comments, prior to vanishing).

You know, while I some what sympathize with the OP (as a result of his experience) there are so many complaints and so forth on the internet about evilbay, I truly don't understand why people even bother to take the risk buying from them.

Tell me this ... people say evilbay is cheap - rubbish, not when you add up the risk, the initial cost as well as shipping. Personally, I'd rather pay a few more dollars and KNOW I am going to get what I ordered as well as final price BEFORE committing, and know (with very few exceptions) that if something is wrong with the purchase I can return it without having to go through the Spanish Inquisition than buy anything from evilbay.

Now, IF you know the seller, ie people from here, then that could be a different matter - even so, and in my opinion, if you have something to sell - advertise it as an independent seller and deal perspective buyers one on one without the other BS.

Or if it's a reputable, established business you're pretty safe, which is what I've said before. As for dealing one on one, it's HARD to get your business out there across the internet in that way. For a geniune, honest, established business, one of the very best, easiest and cheapest ways to sell to a broad internet audience IS on eBay or Amazon, because that's where an awful lot of potential buyers do go. For industry mainstays, like MB Klein and so forth, they do have an established presence and don't have to worry about eBay. Some good, honest dealer in, for instance, Tulsa Oklahoma, doesn't have that name recognition or the big website to get customers. That's where my LHS is, and a good portion of their income derives from eBay to the point that they'd likely not even be able to stay open and pay the rent if not for eBay.

I've purchased a TON of stuff on eBay just because a lot of times I save money even over MB Klein if I only need a few small items. Decoders, for instance. MB Klein is about a dollar cheaper than eBay, but the eBay guys I buy from give me free shipping whereas MB Klein tacks on at least $7 for even one tiny decoder. So unless I'm buying at least eight decoders (or a bunch of other stuff) in one fell swoop, it's always cheaper in the end to get my Digitrax stuff from eBay. And again, I deal with reputable, established businesses.

The flip side to what you're seeing on this thread is the $550 Pioneer Zephyr I purchased for $300, or the genuine $200+ N-scale Erie Built that I purchased for $10. Yes, you take a risk, but if you're careful it can pay off far more often than you get burned.

I saw a N scale Pioneer Zephyr go a earlier this week for $124.50! I always start low and if it has not gone too high (over my limit) then I will place my max bid. I got too wrapped up in other things I FORGOT to keep my eye on it and raise my bid. I do have an original single-headlight Pioneer Zephyr resin kit I bought a few years ago at the Wheaton train show for $50, (in parts, unassembled in its box). Every little part was there. I put it together, painted etc and it runs very good. (Kato drive I might add).

Most of the sellers I have dealt with, people or businesses, have been honest and fair. 2 of the 3 former LHShops have long closed their doors, The remaining LHS, if one can call it that is a tiny dept in a local kids, mostly toys, store.

The closest train HS is in a nearby town one county over and run by a current/former members of the local Model RR club. They carry Z scale on up to G gage, but mostly deal in N scale. I buy more N scale stuff, except DCC decoders, from them than all the eBay sellers. The club moved to a place that is not handicap friendly, so I quit going. I do belong to a stereo photography club, while a bit of a drive for me, they have their meetings in a senior center, very handicap friendly!

I use mostly Digitrax decoders, but the semi-LHS quit carrying Digitrax due to lack of support. I found not one but TWO great Digitrax dealers on eBay. Just got some more SDN-136 DCC sound decoders for the sound cars I am making. When I first started moving to DCC I ran into some not so nice dealers. Needless to say I never went back to any of them.

Next month, closer train shows start up again, (Wheaton is a good 5+hrs one way for me), I will be able to lay my hands on the items before parting with my limited CA$H. I even have a complete battery portable tester, with track, indicator LED, and variable throttle completely pocketable! I have debated putting a tiny building (or picture of one) & scenery on it and call it a LAYOUT!

I always give my almost LHS first crack at my Model RR $$, even if its just a little more, but sometimes less.

I saw a N scale Pioneer Zephyr go a earlier this week for $124.50! I always start low and if it has not gone too high (over my limit) then I will place my max bid. I got too wrapped up in other things I FORGOT to keep my eye on it and raise my bid. I do have an original single-headlight Pioneer Zephyr resin kit I bought a few years ago at the Wheaton train show for $50, (in parts, unassembled in its box). Every little part was there. I put it together, painted etc and it runs very good. (Kato drive I might add).

Wow! Yeah, that IS a great deal. Sorry you missed out on it, though no telling what the buyer's max bid on it actually was. Mine had the extra car and sound decoder included, but it was all brand new in the box, never even taken out of the sealed plastic and so forth. Those two items alone add almost $200 to the value of it. Even at discount retail the whole thing comes out to a bit over $500, and MSRP is quite a bit higher than that, so I was more than pleased to get it all for $300.

I always give my almost LHS first crack at my Model RR $$, even if its just a little more, but sometimes less.

I always buy my flex track and cork from the LHS. Even though it's an hour drive, it's nice to just talk & browse (which in itself is worth the gas to make the trip) and the shipping on flex track is always just stupid expensive. I pay an extra dime or two per piece of flex track, but it takes a LOT of dimes to make up for that shipping. I'll always browse around and see what they have reasonably priced. I've bought a GP15 and various rolling stock at various times. Used to buy paint, but they just don't carry what I need anymore since several companies went out of the paint biz. Last trip netted me three new Athearn LPG tankers for a decent price and they actually have some semi trailers and containers that are a good price that I'll be thinking about before long. It's funny how they'll have some really good prices on a few things while most of their stuff is pretty high priced. I'd like to do more business with them, but I just can't eat the extra cost on the majority of things.

Well, I did IT I THINK?

I contacted eBay customer support and complained about the seller's attempt at FeedBack extortion.
The nice lady I spoke with actually viewed the email history and CONFIRMED that the seller tried to extort FB in one of his emails.

Here is a cut and paste from the sellers extortion email;

"So if you would change the negative feedback to a positive feedback I will send you 50% refund ($15.00)."

I think this is pretty straight forward & clear.

I sold an item on eBay it was new in the boxes and the buyer said that it did not work , he wanted it for half price , I said no send it back I'll refund his money and shipping . He kept the item and gave me negative feedback , and that took my 100% to 99.3 just because I wouldn't give him half his money back on his purchase , and also he said he still wanted the item. Why would someone want an item that does not work? Some buyers are scammers looking to get something cheaper than they bid on in the first place!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you taken up this matter up w/ eBay? Seems like they would take your side being a seller & erase his feedback. You can also leave the buyer feedback by explaining what he did when buying this item.

I sold an item on eBay it was new in the boxes and the buyer said that it did not work , he wanted it for half price , I said no send it back I'll refund his money and shipping . He kept the item and gave me negative feedback , and that took my 100% to 99.3 just because I wouldn't give him half his money back on his purchase , and also he said he still wanted the item. Why would someone want an item that does not work? Some buyers are scammers looking to get something cheaper than they bid on in the first place!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should appeal that.

Feedback on eBay can be left on both buyers & sellers by both buyers & sellers. Again read any sellers feedback BEFORE buying from any seller. Same goes for any potential buyers. If they have alot of negatives you can block them from even bidding on your items.

Back