Disaster on my layout

wilson44512

Newbie RRDER
Well i went and got the durabond 90 and went to start working on the layout. and found that the last plaster cloth and plaster i layed on it wasn't even dry. the whole section was mushy. .I dont know what to do. can some one please give me some advise on how to fix this mess. these pics will show what is happening.

This is when i first started.

GsSym.jpg

After painting

oEKJv.jpg

Then i painted it gray but didnt like it

gzjSs.jpg

so i repainted it. Then i added plaster cloth and plaster of paris. then it whet really down hill then

OUqAK.jpg

Then i noticed it was still wet and mushy[:'(] so i ripped it out

c65by.jpg

Z5oZe.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Anything from a bad batch of the plaster to ambient humidity that is much too high. I can't think of another rational explanation.

Not much to do but rip out all the bad plaster. You could run a small test batch, not on the layout, to try and determine if the plaster is bad or you mixed it wrong.

Foam is a lot easier to use in my opinion. Good luck to ya.

Plaster Cloth

I haven't used plaster cloth that much but it was dry in hours, not days. But, I am in SW Arizona, 13 percent humidity. I would have to guess it was a bad batch, old, defective, damaged or improperly used. Maybe too much latex paint too early added water back into the plaster cloth to cause it to get mushy.

Armchair

sprinkle some dry plaster powder on top. It may soak up some of the moisture.
Don't know if it would work but worth a try.

Steve

I never did like how the plaster cloth would look like, ahhhh, cloth layed over wood supports. I have always used wire screen to sculpt the scenery then spread drywall mud over it in several layers. The final coat is thinned out a bit with water and goes on with a paint brush to fill in any cracks.

It could have just been a bad batch of plaster. I had to give some about a week to thoroughly dry once...

I went back over my plaster cloth with a very thinned mix of plaster and painted it with filled in and smooth out a lot of the cloth texture.

Started reconstruction. So far i found it easier to work with foam. But i will have to see. lol

I'm using 1/2 inch extrude foam

I'm Not sure if i should leave it even as in the first pic or edged like in the second pic? o plan on adding some plaster. But in thin coats lol

What do you all think? I would like to make it look rocky. Where i live there are shale hills

So what would be the best color?

CG2XO.jpg

GQcLN.jpg

Maybe you can get some ideas from this article:
http://www.railwayeng.com/Newloop/index.htm
The explanations are pretty good with just enough pictures. Scenery starts on the second page and I think is close to what you are envisioning.

Then Woodland Scenics has some videos and, of course, there are plenty of YouTube videos.

that looks good, what do you want to do with the foam? it would be easier to curve it, with the foam stepped back in the second picture, but if you want it to be a straight wall the first picture would be the way to go with the foam...

Ceiling tiles work pretty good to for what your trying to do, you can brake the edges off of the ceiling tiles with your fingers to make it look like rocks, etc...

You could even use window screen, you can get a roll at walmart for about 9 bucks, then just cut it to fit what you want, slap on some drywall mud, the drywall compound is about 6 bucks, make sure you get the drywall compound you mix, put it on nice and thin for the first coat, let it dry and continue with the coats to achieve the desired look

Last edited by a moderator:
For plaster cloth - which you'll possibly want to use to create the hardshell...
I lay down the plaster-cloth and spray with a waterbottle. I've recently experimented with adding some pigment to the water to eliminate some time :D
Don't get the plaster-cloth too wet - just enough to get the plaster wet and smooth with a finger. Sprinkle some hydrocal on it and smooth to get it well... smooth. Let dry 24 hours before doing anything else.

I would recommend the Woodland Scenic pigments for coloring plaster-cloth. I've gotten good results with it, and you'll be happier with the realistic colors once you get the hang of it, more so than the paint.

Well i plastered it up and painted it. Hope it looks ok? If not oh well. i worked on this part to long. I'm just going to get started on the rest of the lay out

YmwuI.jpg

fKGBa.jpg

PlOLf.jpg

Back