Diesels & Steam locos

Jannie

What is you most liked/most beautiful Diesel or Steam loco?Which you either have or want to own.........For Diesels mine would be the AC4400CW & followed by a very close 2nd place the SD40-2....as for Steam locos.....The most beautiful 1 for me out there must be the 4-8-8-4 Challenger...followed by any tipe of Garrett Steam loco...... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the lines on the Pennsy's J1 2-10-4, but really this was a close copy of the Chesapeake & Ohio's T-1. For articulated steam, I also like the Challenger, but the N&W's Y series of Mallets were far more capable of hauling tonnage, and I like the looks of the front engine and pilot beam with the header pipes more than the front of the Challenger.

As for diesels, I am partial to the older Fairbanks-Morse H series, and in modern times I like the SD90 and the Dash-9. The newest diesels all look good, too.

Steam- D&H 4-8-8-4, Shays, and Northerns

Diesels- SD90MAC, SD70ACE, AC4400, and small switching locomotives.

BTW, the Challengers were 4-6-6-4, the Big Boys were 4-8-8-4 ;)

@ Little...sorry about the 4-6-6-4....typo....but I do like the big boys too......funny thing....sunday @ the Toy Museum I came upon a UP Big Boy.....pity they won't fit on my layout ;(

ps: If you got pics to show,post them please...thanx....J

Steam- D&H 4-8-8-4, Shays, and Northerns

Diesels- SD90MAC, SD70ACE, AC4400, and small switching locomotives.

BTW, the Challengers were 4-6-6-4, the Big Boys were 4-8-8-4 ;)

And only the UP had 4-8-8-4's. D&H had 4-6-6-4's.
The steamer I would most like to have is a UP 9000 class 4-12-2.
Don't much care about diesels.

The SP 4449 Daylight steaming at us at speed last year had to be the most awesome sight I've seen in a long time so it's my top for steam.
I was going to go with NWDRUMMER's CB&Q E8 vote but then I remembered the E6 on the Nebraska Zephyr in the Illinois Railroad Museum and that's even cooler.
And on a slightly different note, I always thought the GG1 was very an amazing machine.

For beauty, I love the Milwaukee Roads streamlined 4-4-2 and 4-6-4, but for function I'm partial to the various Mallets. For Diesels I like the lines of the E6's for looks, but for function, I have more GP9's than any other loco.

You'all can have your 'purty BigBoys' , But when the call comes for haulin' tonnage I'll take an'ol R2 every time :p

GN2046.jpg

Back