Designing first layout, lots of questions!

After listening to some of the suggestions.....I'm considering changing my plans for a U-shaped layout....to an around the room type.....big square donut with 18 inch wide platforms. I have the plywood cut to 36" wide now. If I cut it in half again....I'd have 18" x 36 feet. Probably just a tad more length than needed.....which is......perfect! I would pull it back a few feet from the short wall.....that way I could avoid needing lift bridges for the closet door and main door. If my numbers are correct....one mile in N scale is 33 feet. I would have an entire scale mile. :eek:

Mike

After listening to some of the suggestions.....I'm considering changing my plans for a U-shaped layout....to an around the room type.....big square donut with 18 inch wide platforms. I have the plywood cut to 36" wide now. If I cut it in half again....I'd have 18" x 36 feet. Probably just a tad more length than needed.....which is......perfect! I would pull it back a few feet from the short wall.....that way I could avoid needing lift bridges for the closet door and main door. If my numbers are correct....one mile in N scale is 33 feet. I would have an entire scale mile. :eek:

Mike

And it would still be N scale! :eek:

I'm not a hater. One can do alot with N. I just grew up with HO and it's size and detail is 'just right'. I'm also more into the intimate branchlines than the thundering mainlines.

Im not going to bash on n-scale either. The ppl that model nscale, i give them nothing but props... its just so tiny to me, i know there is smaller scales out there. Each scale has its ups and downs... its a matter of preference really....

I grew up liking ho scale. My personal preference, i think its the perfect looking scale to me. Not to big nor to small...

The only thing that matters is that you have a layout... everyone atleast will agree a layout of any scale is better then No layout...

And it would still be N scale! :eek:

Im not going to bash on n-scale either. The ppl that model nscale, i give them nothing but props... its just so tiny to me, i know there is smaller scales out there. Each scale has its ups and downs... its a matter of preference really....

I grew up liking ho scale. My personal preference, i think its the perfect looking scale to me. Not to big nor to small...

The only thing that matters is that you have a layout... everyone atleast will agree a layout of any scale is better then No layout...

Agree.
I started out on O scale when my dad got me my first layout, but I'm going to HO because much more realistic for me and I can fit more into a given space.

Now, since we got off subject, lol.
I'm going to take a 4x8 track place and extend it to a 5x8, possibly bigger so I can have increased radii. Now I know reach is an issue, but im 6'4" so I can reach pretty damn far. After veiwing a few 4x8 track plans, I've come to conclusion that I like this one the most: http://www.layoutvision.com/id49.html
I am not going to do the citrus theme tho, but I like the design.

So back to the computer to design this beast!

I like HO too and there are some HO locomotives I would love to collect. I just can't do both right now.

Mike

Agree.
I started out on O scale when my dad got me my first layout, but I'm going to HO because much more realistic for me and I can fit more into a given space.

Now, since we got off subject, lol.
I'm going to take a 4x8 track place and extend it to a 5x8, possibly bigger so I can have increased radii. Now I know reach is an issue, but im 6'4" so I can reach pretty damn far. After veiwing a few 4x8 track plans, I've come to conclusion that I like this one the most: http://www.layoutvision.com/id49.html
I am not going to do the citrus theme tho, but I like the design.

So back to the computer to design this beast!

You should go ahead and make it 5x9, the extra radius will make the design longer as well as wider. Don't add any more industries or tracks though, the more room on the layout, the better.

Starting Out

Hi, I'm just starting out and find your posts and pictures really inspiring.
I really cant wait to get going on my layout.
I'm still in the planning stage.
I am planning on utilising my old 12x16 shed.
I also found some awesome software to help me in the planning stages.
Go check it out. It has saved me about 50% off models amoung other great features.
http://b2287r61aiucvd2413ovzb29c1.hop.clickbank.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of well-intentioned advice given, but could be taking our newcomer Original Poster off in directions that may not make sense for him.

A step back to take some time to read and study would be the most helpful thing for him right now, in my humble opinion, but I know it's hard when the train bug bites.

A donut-style layout may be best for him at this point, but how that donut is laid out makes the difference in having something that's fun to work on and run for the medium and long-term and something that grows boring quickly.

Where a dount-style layout can be against one or more walls (as appears to be the case here), there are three opportunities: the inside, the outside, and the "backside". The HOG doesn't really exploit all of these -- its sort of a 4X8 layout that's just expanded with a hole in the middle. Still a better approach than the monolithic 4X8, but not really optimizing the footprint.

The "backside" is the area against the walls. Secluded behind a low backdrop, this area can hold staging tracks. Staging tracks are (usually) unseen in regular operation and they represent "everywhere else" that's not part of our visible modeled layout. It's a place for trains to be stored, true -- but it's also a way to add operating interest over time as trains arrive and depart from imagined "off-stage" locations.

This very quick and crude sketch of a donut-style layout shows the "backside" against two walls with staging, a branch line on the "inside" and the main line on the "outside. Once the branchline engineer "ducks under", he can stay there to do his work. Meanwhile, the "outside engineer" can work with a variety of trains coming from and going to staging.

Better_donut_layout.gif

Note how the backdrops visually isolate inside from outside to make things appear more spacious. The backdrop in front of staging is low so that one could stand on a step stool to reach over to handle any unfortunate calamities in staging.

Of course, this main line could cross up and over itself to occupy both "outside" and "inside", but then you might want to plan more carefully to arrange the work so that one didn't have to negotiate the duckunder too often.

Even if he doesn't choose to make "inside" and "outside" separate locations, the Original Poster might find that using the "backside" against the walls for staging might offer benefits in his design.

Note also that one section of benchwork here is much narrower to make for an easier duckunder. Building the layout high overall helps, too. Best of luck.

cuyama,

I am moving into a new house and I'll have a space in the basement (not exactly sure of the dimensions yet) similar to what's being discussed in this thread. The donut idea with "inside" and "outside" locations is brilliant and is just what I have been looking for in my quest to design a layout. Your concept provides 2 things that I really must have on my layout, continuous running and ample staging. Thanks for posting that drawing!! I want to start designing a layout along those lines (with your permission to steal your concept, of course, lol) immediately.

In the interest of not HiJacking this thread, I'll start a new one as soon as I work out a rough draft. Thanks again! Just goes to show that by reading threads on here that may not even pertain to you, you can learn something or be inspired.

PLE

Back